Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Future Classic Cars

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Alfa Romeo Spider
    Alfa Romeo GTV
    Lotus Elan Mk2
    Fiat Coupe

With a better definition of what you consider a sports car I could list more.
    I said: not adaptations of econo-boxes. Both the Alfa GTV and Spider and also the Fiat Coupé use the original chassis from the Fiat Tipo/Tempra, wich went on to Alfa 145/146 and Fiat Bravo/Brava.
    Of those listes only the Elan is a proper sports car. And yet, the choice for FWD was cost related, because Lotus did want a bite of the MX-5 market, wich was once theirs. And there was obviously no way they could build a RWD car an yet achieve a competitive price compared to what the Japanese could. And although being successful with the car (yet not the sales), they soon came back to RWD.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

They didn't, they sold the designs to Kia and moved on to make the Elise.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Honda did amazing things with engines under 2.0 L also.

True, true. I remember the Civic, also late 80s/ early 90s with a 96kW 1.6, simply astonishing! Then they brought out the 116kW 1.6 after that, at which point I was just bowled over...

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    They didn't, they sold the designs to Kia and moved on to make the Elise.

Isn't the Elise RWD though?

I think we need to differentiate between classic cars, exotic cars, vintage cars, and rare cars. Many can fit in one or more categories, but not in others. For example, chrome bumper MGs and Triumphs are generally considered classic and vintage, even though the production numbers were relatively large at the time. The MX-5 is definitely coming into classic status, especially the early ones, but they are not vintage, rare or exotic. Now, rubber bumper MG's and TRs, those after 74, are coming into classic status, although arguably not vintage or any other category either.

Supercars are often considered classic right off the lot, as are many other cars. Just check with a good classic car insurance company and see how they define their categories for coverage. This generally follows the car world in terms of collectibility and sales. For example, a four door sedan is almost surely not a classic, although it may be vintage, rare, or even a supercar. Most insurance companies will not allow them to be covered as classics, although they could write a special policy for it, it will be somewhat more expensive.

I think some of the emerging classics are the Porsche 944/951, the 924S, the VW Corrado, the last Toyota Supra, Mazda Rx7, and Nissan 300Z, some of the Vettes (like the ZR1) from the C5 days, and the Vette Grand Sport from the C4 series. A lot of the cars metioned are already staunchly within one of the above categories, even if not strictly classic. Its very hard to predict what will become a classic that is less than 10 or 15 years old. The ones I mentioned are my only pics, really, although I think a lot of cars will be vintage or unusual and will maintain a large following. I hope no one thinks I'm flaming on any cars here, because I'm definitely not.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmacklind
    Most insurance companies will not allow them to be covered as classics, although they could write a special policy for it, it will be somewhat more expensive.
    Are we really going to allow bean-counters to tell us what's a classic car and what's not?

Seriously though, your pics sound good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper
    Isn't the Elise RWD though?
    Yes, its a completly different car though.

Thread Information