Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Future Classic Cars

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Citroen C6
    Suprised nobody mentioned the C6 until 4th page, it's going to be a future classic for sure. I'd also like to nominate the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, the last evolution of the classic Arese V6 engine. The BMW M3 also makes for a good candidate. And that's all I can't think for now.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Has anyone mentioned the Z3M Coupe yet?

I think that has definite classic potential. Great engine, lairy and characterful chassis, and quirky/controversial looks. Not very common either as far as I know, so should be a decent candidate for a future classic.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I'd want to nominate three more, the Alfa Romeo 75 (last rear driven Alfa), the Lancia Thema 8.32 (first and last Ferrari powered Q-car, so far) and the Lancia Thesis (the true descendant of the Flaminia berlina).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Nissan Skyline GT-R
    Toyota Corolla AE86(with the prices being charged now, it is in classic car price territory)
    Dodge Viper SRT-10
    Ford GT
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    Toyota Corolla AE86(with the prices being charged now, it is in classic car price territory)
    It's value is bennefiting with the drift gangs obsession. On the other hand, the drifters are destroying the few original AE86's still around.
    The prices asked for the AE86 today are absolutely irrational. I've seem many at prices higher than those of a MX-5 NA. Wich is a nonsense if we take in account that:

a) The MX-5 is more recent
    b) The AE86 is only 9bh more powerfull
    c) The MX-5 is a roadster
    d) The MX-5 has a way better rear suspension
    e) The MX-5 has better weight distribution and a lower gravity center.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

The AE 86... dunno about that. It's not really a classic. It's the latest craze that made it so popular. It's definately a classic though because it would be hard to find one that hasn't been touched by ricers, like the Type R's.

In other words everything the same as McReis said...

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    The AE 86... dunno about that. It's not really a classic. It's the latest craze that made it so popular.
    Don't get me wrong. I love the AE86, since it's a beautiful, fun and reliable car wich was successful in rallying. Rallying and racing gave it a nice image that is now being destroyed by drifters ans ricers.

I was trying to say that with the prices being charged, it being treated as if it was a classic
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Don't get me wrong. I love the AE86, since it's a beautiful, fun and reliable car wich was successful in rallying. Rallying and racing gave it a nice image that is now being destroyed by drifters ans ricers.
    I like it too, since it basically kept alive the spirit of the the original Celica when the new Celicas went to FWD and it looks great too. I just tend to like Hondas more than Toyotas. I should rephrase what I said before.

How did it do that when they both went out of production at around the same time, and AWD Celicas have been the top of the pile since the late 80s.

Or is this another case of drivetrain snobbery?

Celicas survived until the late 90's in only their FWD forms and never retained their AWD drivetrains, that's why IMO I feel the AE86 was closer to the original Celica. Meanwhile the first generation of Celicas were completely RWD, and never had AWD until the Celicas went rallying. What type of drivetrain snobbery are you talking about?

It's sad to see that Toyota never went back to RWD. Their model lineup is far from even having any sports cars. Just two decades ago they were thriving with so many. Come to think of it now the AE86 should be a classic because it shows a period in time when times were better.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 07-10-2006 at 05:23 PM.

My pick:

Alfa-Romeo 8C Competizione (as soon as it's produced)
    CLK DTM AMG
    M3 GTR (and CSL)
    Audi RS2 (the early 90s estate jointly developed with Porsche)
    Opel Kadett (T-Car) 2.0 GSi Superboss (127kW for '91 n/a 2.0 litre is amazing!)

dodge dakota convertible

CLK GTR Roadster
    XJ220

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Or is this another case of drivetrain snobbery?
    I find funny that you call it drivetrain snobbery. Aside from some hot-hatches, name some cars you'd love to own that aren't either RWD or AWD. It's not a question of snobbery. It's for some reason that the biggest and most prestiged companys never felt seduced by fwd (Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar). That's also the reason why original sports cars (not affordable adaptations of econo-boxes) aren't FWD...

Thread Information