Page 388 of 536 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388389390398438488 ... LastLast
Results 5,806 to 5,820 of 8037

Thread: Show off your latest purchases here!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    It seems to be the best overall setup for mid-level DSLR's. I was and still am wondering if the 190xprob is a better choice since its lighter and more compact by about a third. The price isnt that much different. But I just wonder if weight (stability) or size (weight) is more important in the long run. At the moment though I'm still favouring the 055.
    I wouldn't. The 190 is much smaller, as well as less sturdy. The head sits lower, and the center column doesn't go out as far. If you want lighter with the same stability, you know what I'm going to say
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    I wouldn't. The 190 is much smaller, as well as less sturdy. The head sits lower, and the center column doesn't go out as far. If you want lighter with the same stability, you know what I'm going to say
    point taken

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I have a D40 for a year now, and I really love the camera. It's way better than any point and shoot I've owned, and I think I can live with it for another year or more if I need to. I may move to a D90 when the replacement is out, but then again I may wait a little while longer so the prices drop a bit. I'm in no rush, and the D90 is pretty new, so I don't mind waiting a while longer.

I'm thinking about more organizational gadgets for my camera- I plan to get the 35mm 1.8, so I need a bigger bag. Plus, the SB600 later on when they drop in price. If you need a new low light lens, the 35 1.8 should be a good addition- it's only $200. That's relatively cheap in camera land.

Haha, all I'm doing is waiting for price drops.
    Yeah i follow you. Prices will drop eventually and the d40 is in no way a lacking camera. Afterall its all about the glass. And in most cases its always worth building your lens collection over anything else. Since you can change the body whenever you like and still use them. If you havent already got the nikkor 50mm 1.8 it would recommend it as the default lens for all photographers. Sharp and great for portraits.

Yeah i follow you. Prices will drop eventually and the d40 is in no way a lacking camera. Afterall its all about the glass. And in most cases its always worth building your lens collection over anything else. Since you can change the body whenever you like and still use them. If you havent already got the nikkor 50mm 1.8 it would recommend it as the default lens for all photographers. Sharp and great for portraits.
    You're right, it's all about the lenses. I would get the 50mm 1.8, but it doesn't autofocus on the D40. Perhaps I'll get it in anticipation of an upgrade. That's the one thing about the D40 I don't like- the viewfinder is somewhat small and dark. I was using a FM2, a film SLR, and holy crap I was blown away by how big the viewfinder is. Again, I'm waiting for the D90 replacment.

Then all the old screw drive lenses will be fine for me.

You're right, it's all about the lenses. I would get the 50mm 1.8, but it doesn't autofocus on the D40. Perhaps I'll get it in anticipation of an upgrade. That's the one thing about the D40 I don't like- the viewfinder is somewhat small and dark. I was using a FM2, a film SLR, and holy crap I was blown away by how big the viewfinder is. Again, I'm waiting for the D90 replacment.

Then all the old screw drive lenses will be fine for me.
    good stuff. just be prepared to wait 4 years i do support the decision though. maybe even by then the d90 will be at half price and worth it too.

hey guys, its been FOREVER!!! im not dead!

but i got a couple of these:
    No Speed Limit Autobahn Sign - Gift Ideas - Griot's Garage

and i just picked up a WD hard drive expander for the tivo hd, now i get over 900 hours of standard def! haha. i think that completes my home theater setup, sony kdl40xbr6, tivo hd with wireless and cable cards, hard drive, ps3, and in the process of finding a better surround sound system.

and im about to pick up a laser interceptor laser jammer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Picked up a D200 with MB-D200, the D100 still works fine, but it's not quite up to my demanding(ish) performance. (photo I found on the web, but identical to what I bought)

So now, I've got 3 Nikon bodies and a bunch of glass. Next item on my wish list is the 17-55 2.8 AF-S.

I'll be sure and post a pic of the D100 with MB-D100, D200 with MB-D200 and D2x on Monday, when the D200 arrives.

FWIW, if you're going to buy a 50mm, go with the 50 1.4 AF-D. I tried the AF-S on my D2x and it was slower than the non-motor AF-D - though that may just be the D2x...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Two 4Gb mini MP3 players for twenty dollars each. Aldi specials FTMFW
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Light grey jumper, for the winter nights.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn View Post
    Picked up a D200 with MB-D200, the D100 still works fine, but it's not quite up to my demanding(ish) performance. (photo I found on the web, but identical to what I bought)

So now, I've got 3 Nikon bodies and a bunch of glass. Next item on my wish list is the 17-55 2.8 AF-S.

I'll be sure and post a pic of the D100 with MB-D100, D200 with MB-D200 and D2x on Monday, when the D200 arrives.

FWIW, if you're going to buy a 50mm, go with the 50 1.4 AF-D. I tried the AF-S on my D2x and it was slower than the non-motor AF-D - though that may just be the D2x...
    your budget is evidently way beyond the enthusiasts on this forum. I can only imagine it is part of your profession. There is usually a line between a hobby and a career. Or some of us are just rich..

The 50mm 1.4 is more than double the price of the 50mm 1.8. And for pretty much most people that it just not justifiable.

your budget is evidently way beyond the enthusiasts on this forum. I can only imagine it is part of your profession. There is usually a line between a hobby and a career. Or some of us are just rich..

The 50mm 1.4 is more than double the price of the 50mm 1.8. And for pretty much most people that it just not justifiable.
    Well, I do have a side photography business... Portraits and Weddings, mostly. I didn't realize the 50 1.8 was that much cheaper. Unless you really need/want the 1.4 like me, and assuming the optical quality is equal to the 1.4, the 1.8 is probably the way to go for 90% of the folks out there.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

I hate to impose nopassn, is it possible to get a comparison between them? photo wise?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Wow, that's pretty cool. Any reason why you didn't get a D300? I mean, you seem to have the money, and from later posts, you are a photographer.

Just curious, how does the image quality from the D100 compare to the D200?

Is the imaging quality a big change from generation to generation?

And yes, I have heard the AF-S 50mm 1.4 is slower than the old AF version. I am aware of that, but I still can't afford either of the 50mm. It would be the AF 1.8 and AF-S 35mm DX for me.

Just bought a Barrons MCAT Review Book, and Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 book.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I hate to impose nopassn, is it possible to get a comparison between them? photo wise?
    Yeah, no sweat, I was planning on doing that anyway - D200 won't be here until Monday though.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Any reason why you didn't get a D300? I mean, you seem to have the money, and from later posts, you are a photographer.

Just curious, how does the image quality from the D100 compare to the D200?

Is the imaging quality a big change from generation to generation?

And yes, I have heard the AF-S 50mm 1.4 is slower than the old AF version. I am aware of that, but I still can't afford either of the 50mm. It would be the AF 1.8 and AF-S 35mm DX for me.

Just bought a Barrons MCAT Review Book, and Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 book.
    I REALLY wanted a D300, but I couldn't find one in the condition I wanted for what I wanted to pay, so I settled for a low-click D200, with grip for less than half of what I would have paid for a low-click D300 without a grip. I want to get a 17-55 2.8 pretty soon, and a D300 would have killed that.

As for photo quality, I would guess the D200 is going to MURDER the D100.

D100 = 6.x mp and moderate noise over ISO 400
    D200 = 10.x mp and it seems to do pretty well up to ISO 800 before the noise becomes too much (based on test shots I've seen)

Got a link to the books, I'd like to check them out...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Yeah, no sweat, I was planning on doing that anyway - D200 won't be here until Monday though.

I REALLY wanted a D300, but I couldn't find one in the condition I wanted for what I wanted to pay, so I settled for a low-click D200, with grip for less than half of what I would have paid for a low-click D300 without a grip. I want to get a 17-55 2.8 pretty soon, and a D300 would have killed that.

As for photo quality, I would guess the D200 is going to MURDER the D100.

D100 = 6.x mp and moderate noise over ISO 400
    D200 = 10.x mp and it seems to do pretty well up to ISO 800 before the noise becomes too much (based on test shots I've seen)

Got a link to the books, I'd like to check them out...
    Cool stuff. I hate the fact that every generation of digital cameras leapfrog their predecessors. At least with film, it was generally the quality of the film you buy.

Any reason on keeping the D100? And how does the D2x stack up on the D200?

Sure.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-MCAT-CD-ROM-Medical-Admission/dp/0764193996/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247861102&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Barron's MCAT with CD-ROM: Medical College Admission Test: Hugo R. Seibel Ph.D., Kenneth E. Guyer Ph.D., A. Bryant Mangum Ph.D., Carolyn M. Conway Ph.D.: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digital-Photographers-Voices-Matter/dp/0321330625/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247861226&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter): Scott Kelby: Books[/ame]

And I just ordered the Nikkor 35mm DX from J and R. Backordered, but will ship when they get stuff in.

$220, but because I got gift cards for free from rewards points, it's a free lens.

Edit- I didn't realize the links embed with a photo too. Not sure if that counts as spam or anything. I only put them on because Nopassn wanted them.

A dark blue wool custom-tailored WWII officer's trench coat, used (30 bucks, too!)
    Tickets to see Dream Theater with Queensryche, and tickets for Motley Crue.
    A soul.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Thread Information