Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Before i leave for a holiday in Italy...

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    i'd already predicted this sort of reaction
    I am not a mod
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I have just taken a look at the moderator log and I am baffled by the negativety directed towards our moderators.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The moderaters are fine... We just need more threads I read everything then refresh the page 30 times to see if theres any thing new...

I think there are a select few who may have a grudge against the mods...

Just for this thread

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Just for this thread
    Im not giving money to the mods you know!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Im not giving money to the mods you know!

thats ok we dont accept donations

I agree, but not really in the way that others seem to.

The forum isn't as good as it used to be. I'm not talking 3 months or so ago, I'm talking about probably 18 months to two years ago. The website wasn't as popular and the posters were more the sort of 'post when you have something to say, not when you just have to say something" type people. There was a more 'car enthusiast' feel to it. Nowadays there's a lot, lot more people and it's not really the same.

I pop by once a day, but I don't really look at it like I used to.

Edit: I hate to say it, cos it could very well be coincidental, but I think that it started getting worse after the reputation went away. Maybe it was something to do with attitudes or whatever, maybe just a coincidence.
    Last edited by VtecMini; 07-13-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    I have to support the original post. Not only have the quality of the threads gone down but the replies have become just shameful. Let's use a recent example shall we.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...107#post566107

A new thread and it never even lasted through a single reply without being mocked and degraded. Wouter started them all off, which is the biggest disappointment of all. If you read the therad and see the first product them the intention of the thread is well understood. Then people have to ruin the thread by posting pictures of uncooked meat and making comments on squirrel food. People need to recognise the spirit of a thread and take them seriously. It's good to joke, if the thread's purpose is a joke but don't let your jokes ruin otherwise unique and interesting threads.
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    The forum isn't as good as it used to be. I'm not talking 3 months or so ago, I'm talking about probably 18 months to two years ago. The website wasn't as popular and the posters were more the sort of 'post when you have something to say, not when you just have to say something" type people. There was a more 'car enthusiast' feel to it. Nowadays there's a lot, lot more people and it's not really the same.
    This I agree with. The forum has changed since then, but everything changes so there isn't really anything anyone can do about it.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

this always seems to happen once a forum increases in size and popularity... it seems more appealing to tw*ts to post BS threads on this forum than say superc*ars.net because there 90% of the threads are BS where as on UCP 90% of the threads are good therefore the BS threads stick out more....
    as for the mods they are in no win situation..they cant make everyone happy there will always be people that will feel letdown by a decision which was taken in the interest of the majority....
    just my 2 cents....
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Here we go again...

I can understand why you're angry, and I can agree with you in most areas.. HOWEVER, for the past couple months, every time we tried to edit, or delete, or warn people for their posting habits, a few of our 'charter' members would question our motives. I'd get numerous PM's from people like (yes, I will use your names) Cotterik, Exige, Mustang, and 6'bore concerning the matter of their deleted or edited post, followed by a:

"WTF, this forum isn't what it used to be and it's all the moderators' faults. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?!?!"

But now, when we cut back on some of our editing and deleting of posts due to the members' agony, we receive threads like these. All of a sudden we're not doing enough, we just don't care I presume. BUT, you guys do not have access to the moderator forum, where we've often discussed what to do with this new-found idiocy, and it always breaks down to:

"Well, I guess if they're not breaking any rules we can't ban them. The best thing to do is probably just PM them about their posting or just warn them in the thread."

If we banned members while they haven't even broken the rules, that would make us poor leaders and bad representatives of this website.. although, it seems like that's what you want, half the time.

Now, I'm here to defend myself. I am doing my job, but usually it's unseen and unappreciated, which doesn't matter to me because I'm following the duties of my moderator position. I delete BS threads and edit links to spam or unsuitable material way before 99% of you can even see them. I spend long amounts of time in the Moderator screen searching IP's of new, questionable members, hoping to catch people like Ferrari Prinze, dquik, or Jimbo trying to rejoin under a new name even though they are in hibernation (ban). But what it all boils down to is my edit of someone's post, containing something along the lines of:

"Shut the F[_]CK up you idiot." Excuse my language.

Obviously, I'd edit this post because it breaks two obvious rules, being: Personal Insult, and use of Cussing, hell.. let's throw being an immature, childish, moron into the rules too. If I edit your post when you break the rules, don't go bitching and moaning to me, and I don't expect to be receiving any phone calls from mothers while I am at work. Thank you.

I totally agree.

I have seen cases of "clubs" forming (not naming any, but you know who) , because a mod locked a thread. Moderators are here to keep the forum in shape, and they rightfully do. If a Moderator/admin locks/deletes a thread, there should be no questions asked. It is their responsibility to act, and to make the desicion , and they should not be critisised for it. They are doing it in their free time, and would you like it if, you had to delete something because it was inappropriate, and got flamed for it? Just remember, the Moderators are still members, not another "part of UCP". Treat them as members, and not as others.

i may be wrong but if i were to take a guess as to why things have changed its that the mods and the members are like 2 different teams now. it always seems to be one versus the other. its not always been the case, not too long ago the mods felt like part of the big ucp team. now every post waits to be pounced upon is some way or form. its like half life 2; combine vs rebel forces
    I really don't see how you've come to that conclusion. Remember that mods were regular members before we were given the opportunity by Wouter to be mods. Mods not gods. Above all else, we're members just the the rest of you, we just have the added responsibilty to keep UCP clean.

It's not an us vs you situation as you seem to think. Sure, sometimes we make choices that aren't popular with some members. That's the price we pay for moderating UCP. If we bowed to the presure of doing what's popular, we wouldn't be doing our jobs. And I can't think of a single mod that doesn't take his job seriously.

We do the best we can, if any of you spot a thread or post that you find questionable that we haven't spotted yet, report it to one of us, we'll gladly look into it. Some think being a mod is easy, it's tougher than most of you think, and many a times a thankless job.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower
    I have to support the original post. Not only have the quality of the threads gone down but the replies have become just shameful. Let's use a recent example shall we.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...107#post566107

A new thread and it never even lasted through a single reply without being mocked and degraded. Wouter started them all off, which is the biggest disappointment of all. If you read the therad and see the first product them the intention of the thread is well understood. Then people have to ruin the thread by posting pictures of uncooked meat and making comments on squirrel food. People need to recognise the spirit of a thread and take them seriously. It's good to joke, if the thread's purpose is a joke but don't let your jokes ruin otherwise unique and interesting threads.
    Your assumption about the above thread and Wouter's response is not taking into account that Porschenut and Wouter are good friends in offline life and the fact that they are both smartasses to each other on a regular basis. You're trolling for bad things and not giving Wouter the benefit of the doubt.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

i may be wrong but if i were to take a guess as to why things have changed its that the mods and the members are like 2 different teams now. it always seems to be one versus the other. its not always been the case, not too long ago the mods felt like part of the big ucp team. now every post waits to be pounced upon is some way or form. its like half life 2; combine vs rebel forces
    If that's the way you see it, you need to know that your "us vs them" view on the situation is one-sided. In other words, you see it like that, but none of the mods do.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Mods should leave all those oprah threads to show how much they do for the site.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thread Information