Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Before i leave for a holiday in Italy...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Before i leave for a holiday i justed wanted to get this of my chest:

In recent weeks/months the quality of the content of the forum has decreased significantly. Offcourse it always knows it's up-and-downs but this is an all-time-low. It is not just caused by one or two members but by a lot of them,partly the mod-team.

I blame the mods in general (i'm sure some do just fine) for not acting at all against some of these members(im not saying names but you know who i mean) and being a bit lazy in general(or so i seems). I feel some should have been banned now and/or atleast have a severe warning. If you don't act against it ,it will never stop and the level of content will keep decreasing.

I blame these members for not realising this is not a website for children and their childhood car-fantasies. If you want to discuss cars,do it properly please. As Jakg showed (IMHO) fairly well, you CAN adjust your behaviour rom 10 y/o to 15/16 y/o,if given some guidelines by the mods/members .

Overall i think it's a pity that you only see three or four car-related thread when looking at the "latest forum topics". It used to be 9/10 which was why i joined,a serious car site with forgiving members containing tons of information. The information stayed (and maybe even decresed a bit...) but it has been drowned in the huge mess called "F**king bullsh!t threads".

I'd be nice to find the forums back to the way they used to be when i return in two weeks. I know it aint possible,but atleast an attempt could be made.

If you mods don't like the criticism,go ahead ban me, i dont care (well i do sort of,cos ill be bored to hell...). Cya all in two weeks !!!

PostScriptum:
    dont ask me questions in this thread cos i wont look at it. I hope to be able to check my mail somewhere there,so email me instead.
    Here's the deal on what we can/can't do. We can ban people for swearing, insulting and posting inappropriate subject matter. We can post for spamming, but that is such a subjective term/concept that we always piss someone off. You either didn't consider it spam when it was deleted or you did and we didn't delete it. It's a gray area and there's no better way to handle it.

We CAN'T ban people for being idiots. Believe me, I wish we could. I wish that was the way the world worked. If we could just slaughter people we thought were useless piles of flesh, the world would be a better place. But, we're a civilized (sorta) species and we don't do that (mostly).

Finally, this is a COMMUNITY. All of you bear some responsibility for the behavior of your peers. If you have a problem with something someone posted, then contact them yourselves. There is nothing wrong with you discussing appropriate/inappropriate subject matter/posts/threads/whatever with each other. Act as coaches yourselves. Obviously, be respectful and truthful and polite when doing this, but you should not in anyway hesitate to PM a fellow member and tell them "Good thread, thanks for posting it" or "Hey man, maybe you should reconsider what you said because of this and that". At any given time, there are about 10x as many members logged on as mods. Maybe if you guys took some responsibility for it all, it would seem to you more like we were all on the same "side" and more of a team.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

i don't see any problems with the forums.... sure, i if want to post in a forum with looser rules i just go elsewhere, i don't sit here and bitch and whine about the rules/mods... thats what makes this forum what it is.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'm more annoyed at the fact that Drakkie just dropped a Load of S**T on people and just bails, never having to accept or back up his statements....for at least two weeks anyway.

Forums are as good as their members, Us Mods do our best, but by the same token it's also up to members to create posts and threads that hold substance.

We're here doing our job - We do a lot you don't see.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I think the problem is that a few members who have been here a while have gotten pissy lately for some reason and are taking it on everyone and anyone, and particularly on new memebers.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...&postcount=186

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...&postcount=188

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...&postcount=197

Is this sort of stuff really neccessary? Or acceptable?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Is this sort of stuff really neccessary? Or acceptable?
    Simple answer: NO.

Why haven't you reported these posts before now? Just as the police rely heavily on people to report crimes, we must rely on you guys to report posts. We simply cannot read every post in every thread. Personal and community responsibility, people - better to learn it now than later.
    Last edited by Matt; 07-13-2006 at 06:47 PM.

That incident I chalk down to Arrogance, A sense of protection for UCP from spammers/bull, and general angryness.

They aren't necessary and by the same token it's not up to members to label another member unnecessarily. They scared her off because of that.

Like I said, these issues arise and are delt with by Moderators, Rocke Attempted to defuse the situation and did well. But we can't be responsible for your posts, members, you have to do some self-editing and think before posting.

We're all on the same team, after all....

"The War Is Out there man, OUT THERE!"
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Simple answer: NO.

Why haven't you reported these posts before now? Just as the police rely heavily on people to report crimes, we must rely on you guys to report posts. We simply cannot read every post in every thread. Personal and community responsibility, people - better to learn it now than later.
    I didn't feel the need, Rock posted in the thread and told him to have some respect so I felt it was best to stay out of it and let him deal with it.
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 07-13-2006 at 10:31 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

wouter, what is the moderator log?
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    I'm more annoyed at the fact that Drakkie just dropped a Load of S**T on people and just bails, never having to accept or back up his statements....for at least two weeks anyway.
    Thanks for reminding me.. I intended to mention that in my large rant, but I forgot. I have no problem with people pointing out our faults as a moderator team, but to just lay all blame on us, by dropping a 'Load of S**T' on people and bail as IB4R said is just cowardly. If you are going to submit a thread with this much impact, you can not just leave and let others do the fighting for you.

Maybe the problem is that the forum rules aren't really layed out for all to see. Many of the forums i view have a sticky thread just for the entire forum rules under the general forums. Having it on the main page and not part of the forum means that many members probably just ignore it and start posting crap with out releasing what they are doing.

The mod's do a pretty good job of weeding out the filth and dirt considering the number of members that are active and the recent glut of theads that have zero substance.

One of the things i have noticed is the posting of single links to video's which is followed by a torrent of "lols". A single sticky thread which contains links to "funny" video's would suffice, since reply's tend to be painfully predicable.

Also people still tend to not search or don't search properly and make double threads which is pointed out within the first 2 or 3 posts. It also tends to happen when members go away for a week and post news or media info as soon as they return which has already been covered during their absense.

One of the most annoying things tends to be when long standing members feel they have more rights than the general forum population and so are quick to judge and ridicule new members. When mod's get pissed at these actions they get huffy and threaten to leave. Peope really need to consider that as a community that its up to everyone to make the forum better not just to start blamming the mods or individual members. As Matt said a simple PM to encourage members that are a bit out of line is much better than letting threads escalate into flame wars.

Just a few suggestions, hopefully useful.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    Maybe the problem is that the forum rules aren't really layed out for all to see.
    I think the forum rules do not deviate much from what you expect of normal communication between human beings. If everybody would just stick to that, then there would be no problem.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I think the forum rules do not deviate much from what you expect of normal communication between human beings. If everybody would just stick to that, then there would be no problem.
    Though it would appear that is expecting to much of some people. That applies to the real world as well actually
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Though it would appear that is expecting to much of some people. That applies to the real world as well actually
    Yes, but I can't remember having seen Mr. Zidane on our forums
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    One of the things i have noticed is the posting of single links to video's which is followed by a torrent of "lols". A single sticky thread which contains links to "funny" video's would suffice, since reply's tend to be painfully predicable.

Also people still tend to not search or don't search properly and make double threads which is pointed out within the first 2 or 3 posts. It also tends to happen when members go away for a week and post news or media info as soon as they return which has already been covered during their absense.
    A lot of this is just the way of the internet and is not in any way unique to this site or these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    wouter, what is the moderator log?
    The log that shows all moderator activity.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information