Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why flames Come out ouf the exhaust??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why flames Come out ouf the exhaust??

How u doin pplz.
    Ive just been wondering why some racing cars have flame comming out of the tip of the exhaust.

I know a bit about why that happens, (a rich fuel and air mixture, and something about the valvetiming) but dont know exactly what takes place.

WHAT exactly happens that causes the flame to be seen at the end of the exhaust tube.
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

Flames come out of the exhaust if you run it on pure nos. It can ruin the engine though.
    boobs

Quote Originally Posted by bballmikey105
    Flames come out of the exhaust if you run it on pure nos. It can ruin the engine though.
    I hope you're not serious about this reply...

im not completely sure, but I know that some ppl (not race cars...) burn gas outta their exhaust directly....

RE: Pure NOS

Quote Originally Posted by bballmikey105

i hope ur not serious about that if u ran pure NOS u would blow up th engine
    it actually comes from when the gas does not burn completely in the cylinder and is still burning when it comes out of the exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by nrcafootball68

it actually comes from when the gas does not burn completely in the cylinder and is still burning when it comes out of the exhaust
    ok first off this thread was closed like a month ago ...

2nd you CANT run an engine on NOS, its not combustable

and yes the misfires are caused by either a valve opening too early or unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust, neither of these things is normal and if it happens in your vehicle take it to a mechanic for maintenance as soon as possible

Did you guys see the movie 2 fast 2 furious? If you did, remember that seen were 4 cars are racing down the street at night and each car has a flame coming out of the tail pipe the same color as the cars paint? Any ideas how they did that?

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

this thread was closed a week ago,lol. btw......ya wouldn't think they made the flames out of the exhaust through computers while the cars were goin at 20-25mph? like the first movie. + you can always put those flamethrowers in the back like in an episode of "pimp my ride" where they put'em at the exhaust tips of an old mustang.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Did you guys see the movie 2 fast 2 furious? If you did, remember that seen were 4 cars are racing down the street at night and each car has a flame coming out of the tail pipe the same color as the cars paint? Any ideas how they did that?

Taz.
    George Lucas.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by nrcafootball68

Nitrous oxide is an Oxidizer. You wouldn't "blow up the engine" if you ran it pure, because it can't burn by itself. You would just spray something completely useless into the combustion chambers.

Do a little research before you misinform people while trying to correct them...

flames often appear when racing cars downchange. The engine is running fast, whereas the throttle is actually closed (just after the obligatory downchange blip when racing), this means cylinders won't be filled optimally. It takes more time to burn the smaller amount of mixture and when the exhaust valve is open the mixture is still burning. Of course a hot exhaust exacerbates all this glorious infernal mayhem! If we were all driving open exhausts we'd hear popping every time we lift off the throttle, using the engine as a brake.

I tried to put the flames down to ignition timing, although I cannot see when it would ignite too late, as ignitions are equipped with vacuum retardation (is this the correct term?) and centrifugal weights.

If someone has a better suggestion, please tell us.

all it is is the burn process isn't complete when the gases suppose to be exhausted (i don't even know if thats a really word hahaha). any way thats the reason why you see the flame at the end of the exhaust. all cars do it a bit, but most cars aren't moving enough fuel through for the burn to last long enough to be seen at the end of the exhaust. i hope thats what it is

Basicly the flames come out when your car does give the engine to much fuel and it cant burn all in the engine and when it comes out of the exhauste the "cold" air makes it's density to grow and it ignites from the heat of your engine exhaust.
    -I live my life a quater mile att a time.
    -It dose´t mater if you win by an inch or an mile, wining´s wining.
    -It dosen´t mater if your car goes 0-60 in 5s if you can´t drive it to the max.
    -I fell the need......the need for speed.

Bytw you can make the flames come out on older or newercars(more difficult) by cuting the spark of for an milli second.
    -I live my life a quater mile att a time.
    -It dose´t mater if you win by an inch or an mile, wining´s wining.
    -It dosen´t mater if your car goes 0-60 in 5s if you can´t drive it to the max.
    -I fell the need......the need for speed.

But it does it on Need For Speed Underground (Which is such a cool l33t megaa game) so it must be true you don't know anything my Dodge Neon on it goes mega fast with the flames out of the exhaust so ur wrong sahhaaaa

Thread Information