Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Jag S-Type

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Hardly a suprise when we consider that both are owned by Ford and share the same designer. I suppose we'll have to wait for Aston to get sold by Ford and the Jaguars and Astons will look different again.
    That's very true, but if they put forth more effort I believe that Jag could make good looking and different-from-Aston looking cars. Of course these Aston looking Jags are good looking, but I'd love to see the designs differentiate.

Quote Originally Posted by aNOBLEman
    That's very true, but if they put forth more effort I believe that Jag could make good looking and different-from-Aston looking cars. Of course these Aston looking Jags are good looking, but I'd love to see the designs differentiate.
    I would too, more when Jaguar has an impressive heritage when it comes to styling. And it was done in-house, unlike some Aston's finest looking cars.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I would too, more when Jaguar has an impressive heritage when it comes to styling. And it was done in-house, unlike some Aston's finest looking cars.
    Exactly, Jag E-Type Low Drag coupes and XK SS's come to mind.

Wow! It looks, ummm, well its a huge improvement over the old one. But the front still disturbs me. Why? I know they are capable of making beautiful cars such as the XK, but why have they decided 'oh no, the xk it too beautiful, we won't make the s type look like that, instead we'll make it look like one of those ugly fish you find at the bottom of the ocean'. Why???

The only official picture is the one which (hardly) shows the back of the car. Al other are photoshops and doesn't necessarily reflect the way the car will look.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's official now

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?ID=5761&cache=no

The concept version of the new S-Type, renamed the XF, will be shown at the detroit show. Expect the production version to be as similar to this as the XK is to it's 'concept' from 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC
    It's official now

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?ID=5761&cache=no

The concept version of the new S-Type, renamed the XF, will be shown at the detroit show. Expect the production version to be as similar to this as the XK is to it's 'concept' from 2005.
    The article states that the roof line of the new saloon will be less coupe oriented than the concept.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I do hope that's not the case. Standard practice these days is to take the new car, get rid of the door handles, fit an over-the-top interior and silly exhausts then call it a concept. Changing stuff like the roof line would surprise me. Afterall, Ford haven't done that the new Mondeo/Iosis concept.

Jaguar used to make very low 4 door saloons (the old XJ was just 1339mm tall). It's a shame they are changing that. And regarding the new car, I don't think I like it...

EDIT I have decided it's not that bad.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 12-24-2006 at 06:34 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

Jaguar used to make very low 4 door saloons (the old XJ was just 1339mm tall). It's a shame they are changing that. And regarding the new car, I don't think I like it...

EDIT I have decided it's not that bad.
    changing your opinion took exactly 5 minutes
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    changing your opinion took exactly 5 minutes
    Yes, well that was becuase I saw the pictures of the blue concept car, rahter than the silver one...
    Visca Catalunya!

Another 4-door coupe. Looks like Mercedes have started another class of car everyone wants a version of.

This Jag is a handsome car, just a little overdone. I guess subtlety is lost in modern car design.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

The Jag RD-6 concept from 2004 was a 4 door coupe....well before the CLS broke cover. The RX8 hit the market about that time too, so I wouldn't say that this trend began with the Merc.

The Jag RD-6 concept from 2004 was a 4 door coupe....well before the CLS broke cover. The RX8 hit the market about that time too, so I wouldn't say that this trend began with the Merc.
    It didn't began with those either. In 1962 Rover launched the P5 3 Litre Coupé, which was in fact a 4-door saloon with a lower roofline.
    Visca Catalunya!

A 928 4-door concept never saw production:
    http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profi...man/index.html

The RX-8 is very much like this 928 concept, but the difference is that Mazda actually made the car. Concepts are just that.

The Saturn Ion with the RX-8 like door preceded it by a few years, but it's a different segment than the RX and it only had one rear door. Also, suicide doors first saw light in Pickups. Pickups are also the first traditionally 2-door vehicles to make the transition to 4-door, with models like the Hilux from Toyota.

The CLS is the first premium 4-door Coupe that'll be followed by the Jag, Porsche, Aston, among others I'm sure. Still, Mercedes is the first to bring such a car to the segment in modern times.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information