i've been living in the same city for my whole life - it's lodz (łódź - polish spelling, you say it wooj)

it's a city since 1423 but it had a big boom in xix century - from about 5 000 occupants in the beginning of the century it ended with more than a million a century later. it used to had the biggest number of modern textile factories in whole europe (first steam powered engine was used here) and was called the weaven capitol of europe. it was also known also as a city of four cultures as many many people immigrated from around the world - apart from poles there were jews, germans and russian - all about the same number.

now there are about a million people living here, still third biggest polish city

because of the "boom" in xix century the whole city centre comes from xix - and it's really big!

here is the pic of the main street - piotrkowska
apart from the fact that it's full of buildings more than 100 years old in nearly all of them there are pubs - the part of the street where you can't drive your car is about 5 kms long and there are like 60 pubs there

and that's my very favourite pub - rooster i'm going there to watch 1st football polish league and drink some BEER