Thread: Failed Emissions

Failed Emissions

Went to emissions shop. "Is this thing all wheel drive" <wince>, girl gets in to move it to spinning wheels, stalls. <wtf> Jumps it all over the place while testing, cant do one smooth shift and I constantly hear the whine of the turbo and ping of the BPV <seriously?>. Gets out and a guy gets in to move it to release area, stalls <thats enough idiots at one emissions shop>. Sir, it appears that I have some bad news, it didnt pass emissions.

Forge BPV, SRI Protege Intake, 55k miles, and clueless why it failed, and not just by a little bit. I was just about ready to install my turbo manifold, downpipe, and exhaust but if the stock exhaust cant pass how in the hell is a custom going to? Ideas? Need this cleared up in 10 days or less so I can register and retag.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Take it to a decent tuner and have him check the current MAP... once it's clean on his pipe, go get it inspected. Once it's cleared, take it back to tune it for performance. I once owned a serious E12 530i street/track car and used the de-tune/pass/re-tune trick every time.

I hate the regs that force you to hand the keys to these shmucks. We no longer have state inspections in Florida, but when we did there were horror stories and I have a few of my own. Worst: 1974, had just completed restoration of a rare and (even then) valuable ex-works big Healey. Impossible to replace factory racing exhaust and maybe 4" ground clearance, and the braking test was done on a moving platform. The car was driven on at about 10 MPH, and a plate popped up when the brakes were applied, hard. Ripped the exhaust off, filled the station with the sound of race motor, official looked at me, started bitching about how my car had broken their platform and failed the inspection.

I pulled the car into the lot, jacked it up and removed the exhaust. Got the 10-day slip and drove it open pipe for a week before bolting up two cherry bombs to pass tech. Bastards.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

So, took it to a second shop. No stall, nice and smooth on the the machine. And passed with flying colors. Finger pointing can begin.
    -Carrol Shelby

Good stuff Sledge.

How can people get jobs if they can't drive?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Congrats, man. Glad you got it all sorted out.

Hopefully you weren't charged all that much for that first test.
    Have fun modding it! Be sure to keep us updated.

So, the entire thing was two employees incapable of driving? Yow. Glad it got resolved, now you know which shop for next year.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Two years, the difference in emission amounts was 19.xx and 0.xx between two days, the cutoff was 15.xx
    -Carrol Shelby

Yeah, those smog check things can be irritating. I'm glad I don't have to go through that with 2 of my 4 cars.

I have been considering having a dual exhaust system installed on my '76 limousine. Hopefully, it will pass easier (although it has passed the first time it's tested for the last 6 years or so).

I bring it to a place which does a pre-smog check. To make sure it will pass. As mentioned above, it is tuned to pass then retuned so it gets more power back.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Two years, the difference in emission amounts was 19.xx and 0.xx between two days, the cutoff was 15.xx
    I would complain. Loudly. Hiring people who can't drive for a job which entails driving other peoples cars isn't something that should happen.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Thread Information