Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New Race car - the story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Have you seen output from a race of these cams ?
    Found a sample (only one) and from it I'd warn against them.
    http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5XJ...riment2117.wmv
    Looks like the encoder is unable to keep up with fast moving objects - see the warping on the downhill ramp run and the lack of smoothness of objects moving across later on.
    Good for £100 but don't expect too much. Test in a race before buying.
    A few guys on the IP forum use them they give reasonable quality and are fairly robust. We have tried a few DV Cams in the nephews race cars but they seem to shake themselves to bits.

Heres a link to some of the footage and link to site discussion

IPRA :: View topic - in car camera

YouTube - FOSC RACE 5

Roy needs more horespower
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Zoom Photot shoot

We had the zoom photoshoot at the workshop, took 5 hours , nephew told me thats fairly quick and the photographer wasnt very pedantic. I copied a few of the photographers shots. Pity my camera is 30th the price of his. he had about 25grand worth of gear. he could have built a race car for that money The story should be in Zoom in 3 months.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OMG everybody head for the track .. there's a fast breeder early Corolla racecar program out of control in SA!

So owmuchwazzit? (translation how much was the car in total? if you dont mind me asking)
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Probably very close to 20 grand, I bought the car sight unseen and thought a lot of the car had been done, but once we started to strip it ,we saw many of the modifications werent up to scratch. We have learnt the hard way if you take shortcuts they bit you on the arse.

The only things still original on the car are the diff( which will be changed from a 4.11 to a 4.78 in the off season ) and the rollcage, We have changed front suspension, rear suspension,engine, gearbox,flywheel, clutch, tailshaft, seat, steering wheel, harness, aftermarket ecu, wheels, brakes, instruments, pedal box, front and rear spoilers, full rewire, hard fuel lines and braided brake lines, new brake master cylinder, converted clutch from cable to hydraulic and finally panel work, paint and livery. Its completley rebuilt.

Then theres race suit, helmet, gloves, boots etc, plus cams license, medical, trailer etc.

One of my mates paid 11 grand for his PPG dogbox and 8 grand for his engine. let alone anything else. The skys the limit really, one guy is building a VZ Clubby and he stopped counting after hitting 60 grand In the eastern states and some of the cashed up guys have spent well over a hundred grand building and developing a car. Ray Hislop in Tasmania has reputably spent over 200 grand on his BA GT with a Stone Brothers 5.8 stroker V8 supercar engine, hollinger dogbox, alcon brakes etc. It will be at next easters FOSC- Festival of Sporting Cars Bathurst weekend, plus 40 other IP cars.

It has cost a bit more than expected but are meant to be broken, I said to my wife the other day, I will never sell it and I know every nut and bolt intimately, I will hopefully pass it on to the daughters if they want to race when Im too fat and old to race. The next mods involved will be a decent set of cheap close ratio gears( $1500 ) and when the engine gets really tired a decent rebuild with some nice cams, some head work, ARP bolts on crank and conrods, up the comp to 13-14:1, bigger injectors and a 9500 rpm redline, which should net close to 210-220 hp($2500)

and Falc its the best fun ever

I passed my Observed Licsense Test

Passed the test and damage the car, all is good

Link to results, pics etc
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...7-post336.html

looking good mate

So... ever thought about swapping in a 2JZ-GE from a Lexus IS?

I've heard it could be done to an AE86, and since you've got the 4AGE from an AE86 installed...
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

The 2JZ is a I6. IIRC, the regulations whilst allowing any Toyota engine, stipulate it still be the same layout as stock i.e I4.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    So... ever thought about swapping in a 2JZ-GE from a Lexus IS?

I've heard it could be done to an AE86, and since you've got the 4AGE from an AE86 installed...
    Like FPV said the car has t0 have the same configuration engine, mine came out with a huge 3k inline 4 so that configuration of engine has to go back in.

Also we run a restrictor in our class and a 3L engine with a restrictor would be gasping for more air at about 4000rpm

IF I was building a Late Model IP car and had plenty of cash I would build a stonking IS200 with a 2jz NA motor, you can get 400bhp out of them fairly easy with decent cams etc and their still the builtproof design.

You could get the IS200 down to 1000kg, 400bhp, 6 speed C.R g/box, decent track, double wishbone suspension room for big wheels and brakes = winner on the track

I know you love the little 4AG but how good would a 3SGE BEAMS motor be in the 'Rolla? (assuming you could find one, and sell kidneys to pay for it)

I will definately get a copy of zoom when your feature comes out. Did you say hey to us here in your interview?
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    Passed the test and damage the car, all is good

Link to results, pics etc
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...7-post336.html
    Congrats.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

SA State Championship round 2

The second state round has been run and won and the corolla and driver survived another event. The qualifying was a disaster, I havent been in the car since last November due to missing the 1st state round due to illness.

Qualifying
    NATSOFT Race Result

First sighting lap of qualifying the master cylinder siezed and bent the actuating rod between the master cylinder and the pedal. Thankfully a mate has a workshop near the track and made a new rod up from a grade a bolt and turned it down to the right size in his lathe.

Race 1
    NATSOFT Race Result

I was starting race 1 with no car time for 6 mths, new diff ratios 4.77 compared to 4.11 and was nervous, I felt so rusty and I was missing all the brake markers, apex, entrys etc. My mastercyliner was also playing up and I was costantly locking rears, My brother cleared out in the first couple of laps as I missed the start by about 1 sec and I couldnt catch him. I was using my old gear references and was losing time everywhere I thought. I thought I would be lucky to break a 1.30 and got a 1.27 so I was happy.

Race 2 (night race)
    NATSOFT Race Result

I had a EVO9 and a RX7 starting behind me and they cleared out from the start. Started the race with the bias adjuster at minimum and was still locking rears. Followed the brother for most of the race and could have passed him when he had a big tank slapper coming out the southern. We spaced out a bit so the fast guys could pass us. The car felt better and my lines where better but the brakes are still a big worry. I started the race a 25psi cold all round, after the race checked hot pressures and had 30 psi front and 34 psi rear.

Race 3 (night race)
    NATSOFT Race Result

Race 3 was a good one until I spun and ripped off/destroyed my front splitter. I got a woeful start and flaired the tyres through 1st and 2nd and had to avoid a spinner in turn 1. I was catching the brother fairly quickly and the tracked felt more grippy. I dropped the tyre pressures by 2 in the front and 4 in the rear and the car felt good. I came on to the main straight from the esses and looped the car and went backwards into the infeild and killed the front splitter. I had to wait as cars were coming through and trundled round on the last lap to finish. I did my best time on the meet a 1.26.9, so I have improved nearly 2 secs from my first race meet.

It was a good meet apart from the slight panel damage. The car ran well and I went faster, I have to sort the master cylinder problem because I have to brake 100-150 metres earlier than I should. Some new tyres are needed these have done about 20 heat cycles now and are not as soft as they should be. I might try a softer setting on the rear for better power down.

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    and Falc its the best fun ever
    Well mate ive had an influx of ideas for hobbys im now brewing alcaholic apple cider (i dislike beer) which i found out you can make 25 litres in a month for $12.

Im also considering buying a older celica supra if i can find one for the right price which I can make a hillclimb car out of

Should start out rather small but im sure itll mutate and drain my funds like a woman in a few years lol.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    Well mate ive had an influx of ideas for hobbys im now brewing alcaholic apple cider (i dislike beer) which i found out you can make 25 litres in a month for $12.
    considering the price hike on alcohol lately i'll be curious to see how that works out for you
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information