Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I just drove a..." Thread

Holy smokes, the day finally came. My friend's dad had his '04 Carrera 4S delivered from the states about 1 week ago. After some inspections and minor mandatory work (day time running lights), the car was registered yesterday. I showed up to his house minutes after they had just come back from a drive, and with my best attempt at a sad puppy dog face I said, "you guys went without me?" Well, my plan worked. His dad felt sorry for me and tossed me the keys. So the three of us jumped in and I got to take her out for a 5 minute toss through the windy corners of Crescent Beach.

It was my first experience in a car with:
    a) that kind of power
    b) that price range
    c) a PORSCHE badge!!!!

I can't even begin to explain the feeling of the experience I had. He even allowed me to go a little nuts with the gas pedal. Stepping on it at 60km/h and in 3rd gear was far less than I would've expected, but a quick blip of the throttle and a flick into second changed that instantly. I was numb with joy, awe, and disbelief of the fact that I was actually driving that car. What a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Alpine A110
    Some rather "interesting" issue with the bodywork is delaying my decision .....
    Wanna elaborate on the drive, Peter? I've got a soft spot for that car, would be nice to know how it moves.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    Wanna elaborate on the drive, Peter? I've got a soft spot for that car, would be nice to know how it moves.
    First mistake was goign in my normal shoes So had to drive in my bare feet !! Will be ok with "pixie-boots"
    It is a road car and has extra-padded, re-upholstered seats. So my head was toucing the roof.
    Thrid, the car hadn't been run for 3-4 months so the brakes weren't at their best.
    Finally, it was at Knockhill and so it was raining -- and ended up raining heavily

It's an original 1300, so whilst brisk, not astounding.... but know source for a 1600 Gordini It is also on the original single-circuit brakes and no bias adjust, so we coulnd't brake too energetically into corners. Again, got source of twin cyulinder adjustable master cylinder conversion. And to top it off the rears are still drums -- always been a road car so none of the normal "upgrades" ! Even with all that in mind, it's lightweight and great grip makes it very fast arouind the twisties.

It was a very good example tho in the handling stakes. Nothing out of alignment or loose about it at all. Turn in was very direct and throttle oversteer very easy to induce and control -- slower wet tarmac making it all happen slower at lower speeds

Definately grin from ear to ear run.

BUT .... .... it needs new seats, roll cage, radiator moved to the front, new brake circuits, new upgrade rear discs and (most expensive) a complete gel coat strip and rebuild. Previous owner (Italian) had a "restoration" done about 8-10 years ago and the lacquer/primer/gell-coat is sperating from the original and peeling apart. Weirdest thing I've ever seen and definately needs a professional to look at it. I think it's just a poor primer layer on a full body respray but it's exceptionally thick and seesm to be shrinking !!

Good news is all of that makes price a little more negotiable
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Test-drove a Toyota Yaris T-Sport yesterday.

What an uninspiring, boring, dull, totally compromised little shitbox.

Pluses: Um, not many. Nice turn of speed, good insurance, good brakes, looks the part.

Minuses: Looks can be deceiving- driving position is like sitting on 3 phone books (cannot be lowered), numb steering, notchy gearbox, sounds like a mosquito through a tannoy, and is too nervy to be chucked around windy roads, but too unrefined, loud and uncomfortable to cruise at ease on the motorway.

In other words, useless.

Next stop: Panda 100HP.

I see you've developped a love for your local Toyota dealer, Sam...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I see you've developped a love for your local Toyota dealer, Sam...
    Surprisingly, this was at a Ford dealership I was looking for a SportKa, and they didn't have one!

In actual fact, it's the Audi dealership that know me the best by now... but they don't know me as the real me...

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Good news is all of that makes price a little more negotiable
    Cheers for that
    What kinda price we talking anyway? I know there's little chance of me buying one at the moment but I'd love to know how much they're worth these days. I'm guessing there's quite a margin between lesser-looked after models compared to the pristine cars, as there is with most cars.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    Cheers for that
    What kinda price we talking anyway? I know there's little chance of me buying one at the moment but I'd love to know how much they're worth these days. I'm guessing there's quite a margin between lesser-looked after models compared to the pristine cars, as there is with most cars.
    A proper Grp.IV 1600 with all the comeptition parts is £30-50K If it has MSA history and papers from international event then you're looking at silly money

A recreated 1600 about £30K

A "standard" A110 in good nick about £20-25K.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ta very much. I'm sure I could spare 20k in a couple years time for even a standard A110. Fell in love with the car as soon as I saw a 1/18 in a shop. I love the purposeful look of it even as it sits on a shelf

Being nice since 2007.

A brand new Mercedes-Benz SLK 200 K.

It was only a short drive, but I noticed the soft clutch and short throw gearbox, if a bit notchy. I put fifth a couple of times when I wanted third. The suspension was firm but not uncomfotably so and the steering was nicely weighted and quite comunicative. The engine sounded nice but it doesn't have much low down power. But most of all you can hev the wind in you hair. Nice seats too.

All in all, a good all rounder.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

VW Golf GT.
    Tidy little car, very confidence inspiring in the bends with a good kick in the back when it's needed. I threw it into one bend I was absolutely sure it would spit me out backwards. It just stuck to the road. It was only a 30 min drive but it was also my first experience with the Golf Mk V and compared the Mk IV I used to drive belonging to my flatmate, it's a much more sorted car in all aspects.

Being nice since 2007.

I literally just drove the Merc 190D 2.5Auto, pretty smooth, really tight turning circle (good for the tight turn into the main driveway but the gearbox is really jerky and annoying, the pedals are right up on the right so with my clown feet they were awkward to get to (RHD UK vehicle now registered as French) and the seat has soooo many different levers to adjust it it look me about half an hour to get it so I could actually sit up (Granny's driving position is right up, almost right forward + cushions... It was raining too and ooh boy I hate those stupid Mercedes 1-arm wipers...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

my car buying research adventure continues! today i test drove an 03 A4 1.8t (quattro sport for you full title people (ie clivey )). I will hopefully be buying something sooner rather than later.
    autozine.org

I can probably list all the cars I have driven since I have only been on the road a few years. Not many good ones unfortunately

GMC Yukon XL
    BMW X5 4.6is
    BMW X3 3.0i
    BMW 325i (e46)
    Chevy Cavalier
    Chevy Cobalt
    Chevy Impala
    Ford Taurus
    Old Army Jeep
    Toyota Avalon
    Honda Civic
    Some Volvo wagon (can't ever remember the older model numbers)
    Volvo S40

BMW M6. Loud. Brutal. Fast. Extremely fast. But still ugly.

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information