Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW trying too hard?

BMW trying too hard?

I have kinda been thinking lately that maybe BMW is trying too hard to be number one. Their cars are great in terms of driving, but all the technology seems to water it down. Setting up a Bimmer is like setting up a PC to your preferences, it takes all day. It is like they are trying to outdo Audi and Mercedes by going overboard. Like look at the 1 series. It looks like its been through a crusher, and I have a hard time accepting the New bimmers as luxury sedans, as they don't seem to posess Luxury sedan qualities. They to me are just four wheels packed with a lot of crap. I think they would be a lot better off if they just went back to their old formula. What do you think?
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

some people seem to say they are trying too hard, personally i don.t think they are but even if they are it seems to be working the 3 series is the best selling car in it's field and people are willing to pay several grand more for the 3 series than others, e.g Ford mondeo which surely shows the have a winning formula

I kinda like the new 3 series, but I dont' like what they did with the 5 series and 7 series. THey used to be regarded as high end Luxury sedans, and IMO the new ones don't have the qualities of a Luxury sedan. Luxury sedans are not just a bunch of features, they have to be stylish and well built. The Bimmer is featured packed and well built (somewhat), but the car has no style to it and is too perplexing to use, and that kills it all. I think BMW needs to inspect some Benzes, Lexuses and Audis, and take notes.

Ugliness aside I don't think there's anything wrong with regular modern BMW's. After having driven one I think they are very competent machines and a joy to drive. However I will agree that maybe BMW's is taking technology a step too far, especially with some late BMW M models or the active steering option.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The same can almost said about Jag and Land Rover. They are packing too much tech into their cars and that tech isn't standing up very well.

I like BMW's. They are trying hard to put new cars on the market but I dont know if they are over doing it. BMW's competition is Mercedes-Benz and that market, so they are just trying to stretch their capabilities.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

BMW and Audi both have a good opportunity to gain ground on Mercedes with Merc's current poor customer satisfaction ratings.

Is BMW trying too hard? I don't think they can try 'too hard' with all the competition in their market, especially from the Japanese offerings.

i love BMW's they have something that other cars just don't. It's like a secret recipe. idk. They do have a lot of technology and if you don't think it screams luxury well idk cause BMW has the lux name written all over it
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    The same can almost said about Jag and Land Rover. They are packing too much tech into their cars and that tech isn't standing up very well.
    Which technology? The new Jag XK doesn't have flappy paddle semi-automatic fancy gearboxes, or active steering or anything really...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Which technology? The new Jag XK doesn't have flappy paddle semi-automatic fancy gearboxes, or active steering or anything really...
    Yes, I raised an eyebrow at that as well!

The Land Rover does use technology, but at least it's useful for off-roading- and it has been proven in Chile by serious off-roaders.

I have yet to see BMW's ridiculous iDrive system implemented on a race track.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    I have kinda been thinking lately that maybe BMW is trying too hard to be number one.
    LMAO. That's supposed to be a bad thing?

Maybe they should strive to be the worst? I'm no BMW fan but the logic there is flawed.

This weeks autocar has something talking about a 3-series MPV
    1) autocar spouting crap again?
    2) Bmw (and the competition) all trying to compete on things they differ on, trying too hard
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    This weeks autocar has something talking about a 3-series MPV
    1) autocar spouting crap again?
    2) Bmw (and the competition) all trying to compete on things they differ on, trying too hard
    I think you're correct with that 1st point. Autocar gets bored sometimes and makes stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    LMAO. That's supposed to be a bad thing?

Maybe they should strive to be the worst? I'm no BMW fan but the logic there is flawed.
    Well, I think they are trying too hard to position themselves ahead of Benz and Audi.

Like with the iDrive. Come on, you are gonna get pissed having to scroll through three menus to change the radio station when "Hips Don't Lie" comes on. I think BMW needs to focus its technology more towards the road, and less towards the cabin. I think they need to cut back on all the techno stuff. BMW had it right with the previous generation 5 series and the 7 series before it became all blobby. They should have taken those and ran with it, instead they threw that in the waste bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    Well, I think they are trying too hard to position themselves ahead of Benz and Audi.

Like with the iDrive. Come on, you are gonna get pissed having to scroll through three menus to change the radio station when "Hips Don't Lie" comes on. I think BMW needs to focus its technology more towards the road, and less towards the cabin. I think they need to cut back on all the techno stuff. BMW had it right with the previous generation 5 series and the 7 series before it became all blobby. They should have taken those and ran with it, instead they threw that in the waste bin.
    Well, that's true, but it's not like Mercedes and Audi (mainly Mercedes) don't have a gaggle of stupid tech in their machines that helps them sell to rich savants.

I'm pretty sure BMW learned their lesson with i-Drive though. I'm actually surprised Apple hasn't sued BMW for their use of a lowercase 'i' in i-Drive actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Damn... Wrong make I was thinking about. I'll just dig my own hole now
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Thread Information