Thread: booster problem

booster problem

ive asked around at so many shops and no one was helpful. SOMEBODY PLEASE help me. ok here goes:

i got a 73 AMC Matador and i want to install a booster that came with the car, but it never got installed. i took off the old master cylinder and put a new one on the booster. The problem is, as you can see by the pictures, the pushrod in the booster doesnt go into the firewall, thus i cannot attach it to the brake pedal. it comes just up to the mounting bracket. second problem, i took the outer bracket off of the booster so i can slide the rod into the firewall, but the configuation of the bolts on the inner bracket outside the booster is too long. (the outer one fits perfect). last problem...if i were to drill new holes into the firewall for the inner bracket configuration the push rod still wounldnt be long enough to connect to the pedal. is there some sort of extension i need to buy? or is this just the wrong booster?

ive asked a bunch of mechanics, including master techs and they dont know what to do. so if you can help me fix this, i will think of you as a god.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you make sure it's the right booster first?

well when i bought the car, it came with a trunk full of parts, and the guy said he hadnt had a chance to put any of it on, so i figured it was the right booster, because it was just sitting there with tons of authentic AMC Only parts, but my neighbor just told me that i need to get a new brake pedal, because power brake pedals are different from standard brake pedals, and it might reach out more to connect to the rod. Is that true?

Could be yes. Are you sure you have the correct manifold for the vacuum lines?

yea the vacumm port is on the manifold and i have the hoses and grommets, for the booster they are all good fits, its just getting the damn booster to connect to the brake pedal.

Look into the thing about the different brake pedal, or you might have to make some kind of extender or linkage for the pedal.

Thread Information