Thread: Headers

Headers

So I recently was handed the keys to my dad's old El Camino, and he said I could do whatever I wanted to it. So after a bigblock 502 was droped in, I realized I needed to get a set of headers and I know nothing about them. Clearence will be an issue because of the big engine.I need to know what different materials they make them out of, what sounds the best, and what delivers the best performance.
    "There is no doubt about when people began racing automobiles. It was the day they made the second one." - Richard Petty

All Throttle, No Bottle

Thats kind of a broad question. You can make them out of stainless steel, normal steel, have them ceramic coated, heat tape wrapped, etc. Then you can have different collector set up, 4 into 2 into one, 4 into one, etc. Then you can have short headers and long headers. I'm not sure what will work best or depending on your budget what will be good for you. You should probably find a GM board and ask there for a better answer.

A schoolmate told me to use "Glasspack" headers. What are those?
    "There is no doubt about when people began racing automobiles. It was the day they made the second one." - Richard Petty

All Throttle, No Bottle

I've never heard of glasspack headers. I have heard of normal headers and you use a glasspack instead of a muffler.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler5.htm

What year el camino?

1973, The end of the muscle age.

All Throttle, No Bottle

And the start of the fugly years, I would have put on a earlier front end before the motor.

Well, I like mine, dont see to many of them. Unlike '70-'72

All Throttle, No Bottle

Since I'm bored, here's a link to some headers:
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

You'll probably have to make your own tho.

"Best performance" is a relative term. Different header setups will give you different results. Not necessarily better or worse. Depending on the length of the tubes and collectors, and style of collectors, you may have more low end torque or high end horsepower. Or you may find a happy medium in the middle.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thanks guys, now is it legal to not run any mufflers? If so what would be a good set for the strip and street.

All Throttle, No Bottle

This article may help.
    http://www.superchevy.com/features/0...970_el_camino/
    Seach their database, and PHR for other el camino projects.

Your probably going to have to run mufflers for the street, what you can do is get cutouts for the track (bypasses the mufflers) if you want more track power.

I searched google and came up with this:
    http://www.chevelles.com/forums/arch...p/t-73145.html

Alright, thanks Slicks

All Throttle, No Bottle

502 holy ....
    It will be disgustingly loud without mufflers and definitly not legal to drive at night if at all. My friend has a large displacement chevy with mufflers and still can't drive past 6pm. Go with headers as short as possible, two hi flow cats, as large exhaust pipes as you can all the way back, and the best mufflers you can afford. It'll be pricey but with an engine that big you'll need the airflow. If you can get custom work done or do it yourself you'll get much better results too.

Thread Information