Thread: my friend is getting a new car.. need help...

my friend is getting a new car.. need help...

hello UCP members...
    my room-mate is driving 1998 camaro ( stock) currently 5.7 l v8 and 170k miles on it... however one of his friends is leaving for another country and offering his 2000 Mitsu Eclipse
    2.4l inline 4, hardtop for $5000... Eclipse got 72000 miles on it... condition of interior is good...

but my room-mate is kinda concerned that afer camaro eclipse will not feel right ... but i think eclipse is better car bc of fuel consumption and handling... and it is more reliable ...

what do u thing should he keep his camaro or change it to eclipse... ???

thanks in advance...
    ''The ends justify the means''- Niccolo Machiavelli-d_Evil's Advocate

That's a killer deal.

Sell the Camaro, buy the Eclipse, then sell the Eclipse. Use the money to buy something even cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    That's a killer deal.

Sell the Camaro, buy the Eclipse, then sell the Eclipse. Use the money to buy something even cooler.
    thanks Egg Nog... my room-mate just read what u wrote ..the thing is that we are international students in CA so money ( $5000) is a big deal to risk... he wants to be 110% that he is doing the right thing... he gonna wait one more day for inputs from other UCP members...
    and make final decision on friday...

i don't know what camaro's are worth so i don't know

Quote Originally Posted by El_diablO
    and it is more reliable ...
    are you sure about that i always hear about the eclipse's poor build quality/reliability issues, weak transmissions and oil leaks etc...
    i guess as a student it might be cheaper to run though.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by El_diablO
    thanks Egg Nog... my room-mate just read what u wrote ..the thing is that we are international students in CA so money ( $5000) is a big deal to risk... he wants to be 110% that he is doing the right thing... he gonna wait one more day for inputs from other UCP members...
    and make final decision on friday...
    Well to be absolutely sure, find out more about the car. Is it stolen? Is it rebuilt?

After that, find out how much similar eclipses sell for. Find local classifieds and take a look. If they usually sell for way more, it's probably a good deal. If the price is about average, it's probably not a good idea to try to re-sell it. The only way to succesfully flip cars for profit is by finding really good deals and then re-selling in an honest way for fair prices. The trick is just finding the deals.

The Eclipse isn't that reliable, and I doubt it actually handles much better than a Camaro and if you are going to cane it in that way I'd stick with the big lazy V8 they can take it, usually. If fuel consumption was an issue he wouldn't have a Camaro in the first place?

Conclusion: Keep the Camaro.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Yeah , do some research on the eclipse first and see if you are getting a good deal on it. imo I think it is a good deal.
    I'm a real boy!

thanks everybody... we both read the suggestions and decided to spend weekend actually visiting car dealerships and do some research online to see average price for eclipse...

if he decides to buy the car, I ll post some pics of eclipse...

thanks for ur help again...

An eclipse certainly doesn't handle as well as a camaro especially if its a Z28 as I'm guessing from the 350. It really depends what he wants there's profit in the eclipse but personally I love my 1991 gen III camaro I definitely wouldn't trade it for a front wheel drive 4 cylinder car.

I think I forgot to mention the huge difference in performance between the two cars. The Elipse will feel like driving a shopping trolley.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Thread Information