Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My mini begins

Also there's no need to go mental with boost. A supercharger could be helpful to haul around stuff as Sams says.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Blower says: I'll huff and I'll puff 'til I blow this old Highlight to bits
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Think of it as a relentlessly self-improving project, then

I have seen supercharged ones before.
    I have too, it's just that you can't slap a supercharger on an old motor and hope it'll work, because it usually doesn't. You have to rebuild the motor with stronger parts if you plan on supercharging it.

Quote Originally Posted by KFA-R
    that a serious problem? i have never heard about that.... hmmmmm

how long have you been working on yours for?
    do you have any pics?

also do you know anywhere that i can get parts, i have been talking to a friend who owns a local auto shop he reckons you can still get your hands on all the parts even the body parts, you heard bout this?
    yes - if you bore it out more than 1350 then the walls of the engine block are just a bit too thin for comfort i bought mine about a month ago
    as for parts, no idea - i just have a neighbour trained by leyland to work on mini's and who is an avid triumph fan, and a friend in repco who's building a similar project
    Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    As far as I'm aware, once you get past 1340, reliability goes out of the window. My mate had a 1380 with stage 3 head, roller rockers and various other whatnots, it was great for a short while, but it just became a pain in the arse very quickly.
    i can imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    I have seen supercharged ones before.
    i might be about to buy another one with 3 different engines - a clubman GT engine, a turbo engine, and a bored out hill climb engine.
    the owner wants to go back to offroading
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    I can't see how that really matters. I mean, you are going to put a rover V8 in the front, aren't you? It's a Clubby! They were born to be V8 powered!
    But your handle states otherwise?!?! They should have Honda VTECs!

Seriously now, wouldn't it be cheaper to do a swap for something more modern and efficient? I guess if you are going to do all the work it could work out, but still, I'm guessing original parts would have to come from england, which would make it slow and expensive. There is a guy here doing suzuki swift (1.3ltr, 100hp) swaps and he says the engine is not only much more powerful but also lighter (something like 50kg).

It's true about the 1380, a friend of mine had one here. It was monstrous, but also very expensive to keep running. So much, he gave up, made it "oem" again, and sold the performance bits elsewwere.
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    Seriously now, wouldn't it be cheaper to do a swap for something more modern and efficient?
    no
    I'm guessing original parts would have to come from england, which would make it slow and expensive.
    not necessarily
    leyland built mini's in Australia - mine is an australian built model. parts are cheap as, performance parts (disc brakes etc) are not unreasonable either
    EFI is around a grand though
    There is a guy here doing suzuki swift (1.3ltr, 100hp) swaps and he says the engine is not only much more powerful but also lighter (something like 50kg).
    it's not difficult to lose at least 30kg off the standard engine, when you see what can be replaced by lighter, modern materials (exhaust manifold..)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    it's not difficult to lose at least 30kg off the standard engine, when you see what can be replaced by lighter, modern materials (exhaust manifold..)
    What kind of power are you expecting from that motor?
    Zag when they Zig

What kind of power are you expecting from that motor?
    i don't really care. i'm going by the seat of my pants
    i figure, when it starts to get scary i'll stop modifying it

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    66lbs is a bit optimistic, seeing how the motor weighs about twice that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    66lbs is a bit optimistic, seeing how the motor weighs about twice that.
    lol
    i read my post, i meant the entire car not just the engine
    so far i've taken off ~20kg from the motor and it's down to little nitty gritty things now

What the hell did you take off the motor to get rid of that much weight?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    What the hell did you take off the motor to get rid of that much weight?
    everything
    i haven't put the engine back in the car yet
    ~20kg isn't that much, the new exhaust, extractors etc will all help to save, although the enlarged radiator will add weight

Ah it's not in a running state. I don't think you can take that much off and have a running motor. An aluminum head saves a lot, as does a header, but not that much. 44lbs on a motor that weighs about 150 is a LOT.

make sure you have a tight fit on your radiator pipes sam, the silvia nearly suffered a death today :'(

and about the mini's, what will you do if you buy the other one with the other engines? sell it off to someone?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    and about the mini's, what will you do if you buy the other one with the other engines? sell it off to someone?
    use them all clubman GT engine in the other one, and the current mini engine goes off to get rebuilt, but yeah i'll probably keep the turbo motor for laughs unless i get a good price on it

Thread Information