Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V8 Atom

Look, I'm a huge LS1/LS2 fan, but there's no way it can be compared in this situation. The bike-engined V8 probably weighs half of what it does, and the 4-cylinder definitely weighs significantly less as well, even with the supercharger. Keep in mind that even a 50kg difference is huge in a car of this mass, especially considering how far back in the car that it's mounted.

It doesn't seem like that great of an idea to have the huge torque of an LS2 in an Atom. Save those engines for Porsche 944/Mazda RX-7 swaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Look, I'm a huge LS1/LS2 fan, but there's no way it can be compared in this situation. The bike-engined V8 probably weighs half of what it does, and the 4-cylinder definitely weighs significantly less as well, even with the supercharger. Keep in mind that even a 50kg difference is huge in a car of this mass, especially considering how far back in the car that it's mounted.

It doesn't seem like that great of an idea to have the huge torque of an LS2 in an Atom. Save those engines for Porsche 944/Mazda RX-7 swaps.
    Touche, but looking at the weights now, Honda's F20 is 350lbs(w/o the supercharger), the LS2 is only 40lbs heavier, which can be 'fixed' with some aftermarket headers.
    Also now looking at dimensions, the LSx is just 4in longer, 7in taller, and 0.5in wider than the 2.8L V8, Im sure much less than anyone would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3
    For information see www.dpcars.net, it's a customer's specific order, not an as yet officially available engine spec.
    thanks, forgot that in the original post. thats what happens at 3:30am

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Touche, but looking at the weights now, Honda's F20 is 350lbs(w/o the supercharger), the LS2 is only 40lbs heavier, which can be 'fixed' with some aftermarket headers.
    Also now looking at dimensions, the LSx is just 4in longer, 7in taller, and 0.5in wider than the 2.8L V8, Im sure much less than anyone would expect.
    And a blower, even a centrifugal, with all the extra plumbing and an intercooler (we're doing this the right way, right?) would add at least another 60 pounds.

And let's not start on that whole linear torque thing.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Veyron. Eat your heart out
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

hey if the LS1 can fit in a Seven it can probably fit in this thing.

I'm in love with this car!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
    OBSESSED is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Not sure where you got those figures. The dressed mass of the engines are:

F20C: 148kg (326 pounds)
    LS2: 201kg (443 pounds)

The LS2 is lightweight and amazing engine, but it's definitely not as light as the 4-cylinder. The addition of the supercharger will bring it closer, but it's still not going to be as light. My favorite would still be the LS2 because of it's massive power/torque/efficiency, but I'd still argue that it's not really suited for this type of car. All that extra torque would just translate into rubber particulates

Edit: I'm really not meaning to say that an LS2 Atom wouldn't be ridiculously awesome. It totally would be - in fact, someone should build one. Now. The fact that it doesn't make sense to overpower something doesn't detract from how wicked it is.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 11-09-2006 at 04:51 PM.

I have a question about the LSx engines...

Do they ever get used in transverse layouts in cars? People are talking like it'll be compatible with the Atom no problem because of its compact size/weight, but the major issue would surely be trying to find a suitable transaxle to fit the engine. I'm no expert on these engines, but all the ones I've seen use longitudinal layouts, usually FR. Trying to find a compact transaxle that would fit under the LSx engine and inbetween the Atom's relatively narrow wheelbase, and that would also be able to handle the torque would surely put the skids on the plan, would it not?

Therein lies the advantage of the Honda motor Ariel already use - it comes with a very compact and super-slick 6-speed transaxle straight out of the box. And with this RST V8 it's not blessed with humongous torque so doesn't need a big heavy duty gearbox. I just think the whole LS engine thing would be a whole lot of engineering headaches for not a lot of benefit, really can't see the point of anyone trying it.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

There's no such thing as too much horsepower.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Edit: I'm really not meaning to say that an LS2 Atom wouldn't be ridiculously awesome. It totally would be - in fact, someone should build one. Now. The fact that it doesn't make sense to overpower something doesn't detract from how wicked it is.
    New Zealand will do it. hell, they made an Sti ATV and a 400hp exige for shits and giggles, they'll jump at a chance to do that.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    There's no such thing as too much horsepower.
    OMG 3000hp VeyRoN

Bwahahahahahhahahahahhaha...

So much torque it twisted the chassis coming off the line.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Not sure where you got those figures. The dressed mass of the engines are:

F20C: 148kg (326 pounds)
    LS2: 201kg (443 pounds)
    Bah, cant find the page now. It might have been weighed with fluids (although over 20lbs of fluids sounds a bit off...)
    Here the LS1 weight:
    http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/fram...ckV8s/LS1.html
    390lbs out of crate.
    Another:
    http://www.toy-jet.ls1fun.com/about.html
    Heres what Ive found for the LS2:
    http://www.vestav8.com/FAQ.htm
    "
    The weight of the LS2 engine out of the crate with the heavy GM exhaust headers removed is 348 lbs. "
    I think its safe to assume that its around 390lbs like the LS1 (which is basically the same engine), theres no way 2 headers close to 100lbs.
    but I'd still argue that it's not really suited for this type of car. All that extra torque would just translate into rubber particulates

I do agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    I have a question about the LSx engines...

Do they ever get used in transverse layouts in cars? People are talking like it'll be compatible with the Atom no problem because of its compact size/weight, but the major issue would surely be trying to find a suitable transaxle to fit the engine. I'm no expert on these engines, but all the ones I've seen use longitudinal layouts, usually FR. Trying to find a compact transaxle that would fit under the LSx engine and inbetween the Atom's relatively narrow wheelbase, and that would also be able to handle the torque would surely put the skids on the plan, would it not?

Therein lies the advantage of the Honda motor Ariel already use - it comes with a very compact and super-slick 6-speed transaxle straight out of the box. And with this RST V8 it's not blessed with humongous torque so doesn't need a big heavy duty gearbox. I just think the whole LS engine thing would be a whole lot of engineering headaches for not a lot of benefit, really can't see the point of anyone trying it.

Its been done its just rare.
    http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi
    http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/tomkls1/tomkls1.htm
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/024804-34.html
    http://public.fotki.com/8balls/car_stuff-1/ls1_fiero/

Thread Information