Thread: DSLRs?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Nope, doesn't have a mirror.
    Mirror?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    Mirror?

You press the shutter, the mirror flips up, the shutter open, exposes the film, shutter closes, mirror goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv

You press the shutter, the mirror flips up, the shutter open, exposes the film, shutter closes, mirror goes down.
    And thats the same with both SLR's and DigitalSLR's?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Yes, except replace the film with a sensor.

Yes it is.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

So basically all those lenses create the high quality pictures? That's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    So basically all those lenses create the high quality pictures? That's cool.
    Err, no. Some lenses will be bad at the wide end or at the tele end, some will be soft wide open, some have CA, some vignette. Some just plain ol' suck.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Nope, doesn't have a mirror.
    So here's something I've never thought about...if a camera has a mirror and sensor like a DSLR, but a fixed lens, would it be considered just like...a "fixed-lens DSLR"?

about whether the lens makes pictures good. Yes and no. Generally an SLR will produce better pictures than a fixed lens compact. There are exceptions, like the DSC-R1, which is supposed to have the best lens of all the fixed lens cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    So here's something I've never thought about...if a camera has a mirror and sensor like a DSLR, but a fixed lens, would it be considered just like...a "fixed-lens DSLR"?
    Yes, SLR=single lens reflex. Fixed or non fixed lens doesn't matter.

For the love of god don't buy these bloody tourist zooms. 11x zoom? I think not. It's generally accepted that over 4x zoom creates to many compromises on image quality.

K100D + DA18-55 (or 16-45 if you can afford it) + DA50-200 will set you easily for a while.
    Have you ever used the 18-200 VR ? It's widely regarded as being better than the 18-70 Nikkor kit lens. And it's tack sharp at all focal lenghts, distortion is limited (considering the huge range), colour rendition is great as well and it has image stabilisation.
    The 18-200 VR is all but a "tourist zoom" the Canon 18-55 is a tourist lens.

I'm not saying that it's the greatest lens ever. I personally wouldn't buy it, it doesn't meet my personal quality requirements. But it's not a bad lens if you're on a budget.

Most consumers do NOT see the difference anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    So here's something I've never thought about...if a camera has a mirror and sensor like a DSLR, but a fixed lens, would it be considered just like...a "fixed-lens DSLR"
    Yes it would.
    – Hunter Thompson

They should make one of those, because the viewfinder of an SLR is just worlds better

Definately. Had a go of a K10D today in a shop. The viewfinder on my DS is good, but this was just awesome. Better than any Canon I've used (though I've not used a 1 or 5D)
    – Hunter Thompson

Here's a quick review I posted on dpreview about my quick go of the K10D today (mostly compared to the *ist DS)

Ergos: Feels nice. I was a bit anxious about that because I've tried a K100D and didn't find it anywhere near as comfy for my hands as my DS. But it was very good. Build felt great. Weight wasn't an issue. My guns are obviously well polished

Viewfinder: Even better than the DS, very happy.

Controls: Hmm. This is an odd one. There's a lot I liked, such as being able to control AF points and metering without the menu. But the twin command dials would take some getting used to from the DS. Had it in Tv so I could test the SR and was wondering why it wouldn't change when I spun the dial, but I was using the rear dial, not the front one. And the battery and SD card door controls are a bit fiddly. The DS door opener is much better.

SR: Really liked it. A feature I definately want.

IQ: Very good. Noise was fine. In fact, despite there's probably "more" (however you would quantify it) noise it looked better than the DS. Which I prefer.
    – Hunter Thompson

Not a big fan of in-body Shake Reduction but Pentax' system is quite nice, much better than Sony A100's anyway. Unlike Sony, which only moves up, down, and side to side, Pentax SR is ball-bearing mounted and free to float in any direction.

Why don't Canon and Nikon use in-body stabilization?
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information