Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: if americans like torque, why not buy diesel engined cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Ford is actually addressing this by making a Diesel F150 option on the next gen. It's not a total fix, but it is a start.
    you also should realise that proper "almost" sulphurfree has only become available in the USA at the beginning of this year. Another excuse gone of the big three not to develop suitable diesel technology for themselves (Ford went to PSA, Chrysler can use Mercedes and GM runs a little bit behind with Opel/Isuzu technology.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    you also should realise that proper "almost" sulphurfree has only become available in the USA at the beginning of this year. Another excuse gone of the big three not to develop suitable diesel technology for themselves (Ford went to PSA, Chrysler can use Mercedes and GM runs a little bit behind with Opel/Isuzu technology.
    Absolutely. It was supposed to be out last year, but after Hurricane Katrina, the oil companies bitched and moaned about production hardships, and the government let them delay the roll out.

That, along with the new CARB and EPA standards, have made the current gen TDI's and Mercedes diesels impossible to sell for the 07 model year. They're supposed to be back in 08 though.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

VW Touareg 5.0-V10 TDI ftw..
    or even just wait for the
    Audi Q7 S-Line V12 TDI
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

GM motors also uses VM Motori diesel engines in some of their cars.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

the California requirement for Nox from passenger diesel cars is the same as the Euro 5 norm
    Yes, but the Euro 5 is not implemented yet.

I really doubt that there is a consistent US Gvt energy policy, aiming at stimulating hybrids. The only reason why they may want to stimulate that now is to protect their own industry, having seen the success of Toyota...
    I agree with you that they are trying to protect their industry. However, I do believe also that there is an effort to promote alternative ways of propulsion and in particular fuel cells and hybrids. There are many reports on pilot programmes that use these types of vehicles.

As far as the European use of diesel is concerned, there is an extra fact leading towards this direction. The European manufacturers and the EU have agreed on a certain level of emissions until 2008 (I think that is the year, could be wrong though). However, these targets cannot be met with petrol engines, as it will be too expensive to commercialize the technologies required in such a short timeframe. It was judged as a more efficient way to invest on Diesels. However, even with the Diesels being widely adopted by consumers (nearly 50% of the European car market), these targets will probably not be met
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Torque?

TRACTORS FOR THE WIN!!!! John Deer 6-Cylinder Diesels I hear Chris Butcher cry...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Diesal cars cost more as well the fuel is just more expensive.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Yes, other than prejudice diesel fuel is still more expencive than our premium 93.

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    Torque?

TRACTORS FOR THE WIN!!!! John Deer 6-Cylinder Diesels I hear Chris Butcher cry...
    Ignorance FTW!
    Your car accelerates on the torque curve exactly, for example if your making 300ft.lbs at 2000RPMs, and 300ft.lbs at 4000RPMs (same car),in a single gear its not going to be pulling any harder although the hp is double.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Yes, other than prejudice diesel fuel is still more expencive than our premium 93.
    Ignorance FTL!

You get better MPG with diesels so it evens out...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Ignorance FTL!

You get better MPG with diesels so it evens out...
    Uh, no. I said it was more expencive than our premium, which is usualy 30-40 cents more expencive than our regular grade, which economy cars run on. So chances are the slightly better mpg is not going to help with the 50+ cents per gallon difference in money.

Uh, no. I said it was more expencive than our premium, which is usualy 30-40 cents more expencive than our regular grade, which economy cars run on. So chances are the slightly better mpg is not going to help with the 50+ cents per gallon difference in money.
    It would be close...plus think of what kinda of cars run on premium and what ones run on Diesel.

Sometimes and depending on the cars compared the difference in fuel consumption is not small.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I've never seen a gap that wide in fuel cost. In Maryland, by my observation, diesel is usually 20-30 cents more than regular grade petrol, and so is premium.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    I've never seen a gap that wide in fuel cost. In Maryland, by my observation, diesel is usually 20-30 cents more than regular grade petrol, and so is premium.
    The fuel cost is highly dependent on the taxes that are implemented per fuel unit.

The final price of the car that is available to consumers, is also highly dependent on the taxes.

So, the total cost of using a diesel car, can vary significantly from country to country (or from state to state). The same applies to hybrid cars.

This is another reason for which I believe that there is a US Goverment policy that favours hybrids.

This is not meant in a bad way. They decided that their energy policy will be better by using hybrids. A logical assumption.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Thread Information