Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaked: Jaguar C-XF concept

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    I certainly wouldn't complain - it's a brilliant transmission. However, there is a large market of people that expect a manual transmission from a 'sporty' sedan.
    But there's an absolutely freaking huge market of people who don't care about a manual option, they just want a fast, comfy, decent handling car with an auto box. Which is what Jaguar does well. And this market is much, much bigger that the one who want a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    You may be right about the interior, but probably not about the engineering, since a manual was already offered in the old S-type.
    But how well did it sell? That may be the reason for the lack of the option now. And was there a V8 option for the V8? And just because the old S-type had one, doesn't mean it's not gonna be hard to fit a manual into the XF. If they never intended on having a manual, they would built the transmission tunnel and drivetrain around the ZF 6spd auto, not a manual.
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 08-29-2007 at 06:38 AM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    But there's an absolutely freaking huge market of people who don't care about a manual option, they just want a fast, comfy, decent handling car with an auto box. Which is what Jaguar does well. And this market is much, much bigger that the one who want a manual.
    Agreement. Perhaps they will introduce a manual option with the (rumoured) XF-R.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    But how well did it sell? That may be the reason for the lack of the option now. And was there a V8 option for the V8? And just because the old S-type had one, doesn't mean it's not gonna be hard to fit a manual into the XF. If they never intended on having a manual, they would built the transmission tunnel and drivetrain around the ZF 6spd auto, not a manual.
    Well I think the old S-Type already had the ZF auto, and the XF has the same engines as the S-Type. Actually I think that they've spent little money on the engineering and have concentrated their budget on the aesthetics.
    Agreement. Perhaps they will introduce a manual option with the (rumoured) XF-R.
    I honestly doubt it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Engineering, interior whatever extra cost is never an issue with having a manual or not on this jag. BUT marketing, branding, future brand positioning and hype-ing is the factor to it.

Thou I'm a pro-manual guy, i do think that this car shouldn't come with a manual. Giving something new and awe inspiring to customers is what Jag wants to do this time around - With sporty designs and dynamics, if they were to offer a manual, they need to give reasons about their decision. This is a premium brand, the reason for being cheaper will turn people OFF, the reason about sporty will immediately equal the knob knob is un-sport. and to provide such a high-tech 'solution' to contemporary gearsticks means that they should not turn back into admitting stickshifts engage drivers better.

They've done it well this time around, only that I'd wished they just use the C-XF's front end treatment other than this eyebrow winker ... The interior's great, finally a fresh look on interiors in the premium car segment.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

concentrated their budget on the aesthetics.
    How would that even work?

Adam Hatton: "An extra £5? Well, in that case I won't make it look rubbish!"

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    How would that even work?

Adam Hatton: "An extra £5? Well, in that case I won't make it look rubbish!"
    The lack of anything even remotely new technology/engineering-wise leads me to believe so.

I guess they took a conservative approach there. "If it's going to be a flop, at least spent as little as possible on the engineering". And bearing in mind Ford is seriously broke and looking to sell Jaguar, and Jaguar is losing insane amounts of money too with what seem to be dwindling sales, it does make sense.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 08-29-2007 at 11:38 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

I honestly doubt it.
    Doubt what? The XF-R or the manual transmission, or both?
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Doubt what? The XF-R or the manual transmission, or both?
    The manual transmission on really anything badged Jaguar. About the XFR it'll probably be made sooner or later. Halo cars are always interesting for image and sales.
    Visca Catalunya!

well thats old Jaguar - something the XF is attempting to move away from.

New Jaguar utilises the best pieces for it's market - including automatic transmissions.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    well thats old Jaguar - something the XF is attempting to move away from.

New Jaguar utilises the best pieces for it's market - including automatic transmissions.
    Forgive me for being skeptical, but the engines are mostly a thousand years old. Especially the petrols (the diesel is pretty new), where's the highly anticipated Volvo straight six?

I guess Jaguar wanted minimum investment, maximum return with this car. I think so far they've only sold 280k S-Types, really an insignificant number in the executive premium market.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'd imagine - and this is just a hunch - considering Volvo's current "for sale" sign, being linked to Jaguar via an engineering deal might not be suitable for a future buyer.

and you've definately hit the nail on the head - they decided to focus the money on places where it was needed - not a Manual folly that would sell less than it cost to built it.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I'd imagine - and this is just a hunch - considering Volvo's current "for sale" sign, being linked to Jaguar via an engineering deal might not be suitable for a future buyer.
    Volvo is not currently for sale. Ford is currently conducting a strategic review of the brand. The decision on whether to offload it or not will not come for some time.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

According to most Internet blogs (in particular AutoBlog) the for sale signs are up - a "strategic review" is just corporate spin for "we'll see how much we can get for them"

and it doesn't appear to have many takers. BMW I believe is one of the interested parties, but Renault has already turned down a possible purchase - citing working on it's own products should take precedence over buying a new brand.

Would it be so bad for Volvo to break free of the sinking ship (albeit one which is being significantly financially bailed right now) and make friends with a new company?

Well the official word is that Volvo isn't for sale. Volvo designs a lot of platforms, among other things, for use in Ford products. Ford and Volvo have a close relationship, so a separation may cause problems for both brands. Volvo also generates profit - something Ford desperately needs right now. So keeping the Volvo brand seems logical for the short term, which is what Ford will be doing. Recently, Alan said that Ford doesn't need ANY luxury brands at all. This may be an indication that he intends to get rid of Volvo in the Future. However, selling Volvo strikes me as a strange thing for Allan to do. He wants to make Ford just like Toyota. In fact, he is obsessed with the way Toyota operate. He wants to turn Ford Motor Company into Toyota. So why not treat Volvo like Lexus? After all, Volvo's relationship with Ford is similar to the Lexus relationship with Toyota. Getting rid of the sole remaining global luxury brand would be quite a step away from Toyota's methods. This is why I believe that Allan may still want to hold on to Volvo. Whether he does or not really depends on how badly Ford needs the cash.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

the main reason for his obsession with toyota? they make a profit in the long run, and he's a beancounter

Volvo has in fact made minor profits over the past couple of years - and yeah, it does share platforms with other ford vehicles (notably those in europe), but with most of PAG up for sale (Jaguar, Land Rover etc) it kind of makes sense that Volvo would be next on the chopping block.

Remember Aston Martin was profitable as well - didn't stop it's sale

Volvo will never become Ford's Lexus - That's Lincoln's job

Thread Information