Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you clean an ipod?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.

How do you clean an ipod?

I'm sellin my iPod. I've had it in a cover thingy since day one, so I know there's a great shine underneath there somewhere, but it has a sticky residue all over it and grime in the button recesses from being in the cover. I need this thing to look good when I show it, what should I clean it with? I thought about alcohol wipeys or glass cleaner on a microfibre or similar soft cloth, but don't know how either would interact with the electronics or the plastic on the face. Any ideas?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

It's the best thing for a dirty iPod

(Or if you want to stay in it's proper shape, and work, just use a dampened cloth and rub the shit off. Just make sure it's not really wet and could make big drips that'll get in the case)
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 01-05-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Don't tempt me, that's what I'd really like to do to it if the money wouldn't come in so handy...the freakin' thing makes me look like a damn dirty yuppie when I use it and was a contributing factor in my accident...I'd love nothing better than to introduce it to my .30-30, or at least my bull-barrel .223.

Anyway, I've done the dampened cloth thing and it's not really getting it all off of there...

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    Don't tempt me, that's what I'd really like to do to it if the money wouldn't come in so handy...the freakin' thing makes me look like a damn dirty yuppie when I use it and was a contributing factor in my accident...I'd love nothing better than to introduce it to my .30-30, or at least my bull-barrel .223.

Anyway, I've done the dampened cloth thing and it's not really getting it all off of there...
    lol I look like a dirty yuppie carrying my scartched-up-to-s_it iPod Video 30GB lol . Thats why I bought a Italian Leather flip case for it, hides all the scratches lol (most of them anyway). 1st off,What case did you use, seriously?? 2nd off, you never mentioned what iPod you plan to sell(or destroy ). Scrape it off with something then use a scratch remover or buy a cleaning kit (Belkin).
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

I use Turtlewax and dashboard cleaner on my Philips HDD1420 I worked great

Metal cleaner should do the job well- we have stuff here called Autosol, but you have stuff over there called Blue Wonder which should do the job nicely.

Just don't put it in the bath, OK..?

I have found that a monitor cleaning fluid, a microfibre clots and some elbow grease does the trick. Otherwise try an alcohol based cleaning solution.

I wouldn't use alcohol. It completely kills the case/paint IIRC. Damp cloth + patience. + maybe a toothpic to scrape things off VERY carefully.

u can blend it! that works. that youtube guy did it! lol.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Goo Gone. The stuff will kill anything.

[O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Goo Gone. The stuff will kill anything.

I second that. I worked in a winery as a cellar hand last summer, and when our labelling machine did a crappy sticker job, that stuff would get rid of the stick like no tomorrow.

Goo Gone is what I used when I took the rear spoiler off the hatch of der Uberwagen. That was some nasty stuff, too.

If you're careful, GG + razor blade = pwnz all.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen

It's the best thing for a dirty iPod

(Or if you want to stay in it's proper shape, and work, just use a dampened cloth and rub the shit off. Just make sure it's not really wet and could make big drips that'll get in the case)
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by carsnut
    lol I look like a dirty yuppie carrying my scartched-up-to-s_it iPod Video 30GB lol . Thats why I bought a Italian Leather flip case for it, hides all the scratches lol (most of them anyway). 1st off,What case did you use, seriously?? 2nd off, you never mentioned what iPod you plan to sell(or destroy ). Scrape it off with something then use a scratch remover or buy a cleaning kit (Belkin).
    I'm serious when I say that I look like a damn dirty yuppie, I'm embarrassed to be seen with one in public, same as with cell phones, etc. I have no idea what the case is, it was all a graduation present when I graduated high school (hence why I even have one in the first place). It's a blue rubbery material with a lot of stretch in it and a screen cover, with an annoying belt clip on the back. Aesthetically not terribly pleasing, but it makes it easy to use and appears to have done a fantastic job of protecting it from any obvious damage. The ipod itself...uh, well, it's a 20 gig model, it still works, and plays music, that's all I know.

Anyway, the goo gone was another thought I had, I agree the stuff is absolutely marvelous stuff, can't rave about it enough (although it's hard to find around here). But along with all our bottles of degreaser, Formula 409, Fantastik, etc. I hadn't even considered it for this, as I thought it'd be far too potent. Has anybody tried it on something like this to know if it's safe for it? What about something like lemon juice? And on the Blue Wonder, I have something called Blue Thunder which we have used before to polish stainless steel and chrome, is that what you were referring to?

Try to put some baking soda + lime/lemon juice on a moist towelette or something.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information