Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The return of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post

Nice weapon in you avatar. Is that out of the new Terminator movie?
    Hmm from playing socom alot ill guess the it's the STG 77 with an M203 attachment?

Games ftw

BTW, is that the standard gun for the Australian military?
    Last edited by The_Canuck; 02-27-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Hmm from playing socom alot ill guess the it's the STG 77 with an M203 attachment?

Games ftw

Steyr AUG A3 Carbine with 16inch barrel and special 40mm grenade launcher, I think...

I have that same gun, in profile, on my computer.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Games ftw

I think the technical name for it is the Steyr AUG A1

BTW M203's are for uber noobs.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    I think the technical name for it is the Steyr AUG A1
    A1 looks like this (Rifle and Carbine, respectively)

Clutch's avatar proudly displays the third one.

I like Steyrs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 02-27-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    BTW M203's are for uber noobs.
    If your reffering to Socom, I agree.

canuck yes they are standard issue, just not in that specification unfortunately although i dohate 16 inch barrels... who cares if it's more rigid, i like muzzle velocity, thanks
    out of curiosity it says gun suicides dropped but what about suicides overall? hasn't suicide increased over the last few years?
    and it has little to do with the buyback in that example, but with the storage laws that were wisely tightened up
    it only takes one shot to commit suicide.... and people who gave up their semi-automatics would often still possess legal firearms. The reduced gun crime is good to hear, although i don't think the stats are perfect, and again it's not in relation to overall crime..
    Didn’t Malaysia call us the white trash of Asia at one stage?

Nice weapon in you avatar. Is that out of the new Terminator movie?
    haha, probably, i seem to recall they didn't like us after sme refugee incident
    and no, the gun is a steyr aug which i'd like the ADF to upgrade theirs to the same spec on the basis that it looks cool.
    Yes you often hear pro gunners make that comment about how Australia’s gun deaths supposedly rose. I think it can be linked back to a popular piece of pro gun disinformation in the U.S. that was put forward to marginalise the proposal of stricter gun controls. Those NRA nuts will stop at nothing to keep their toys!
    afaik it didn't rise but i often hear gun crime itself actually increased. similarily the governments own bureau of statistics has said the gun buyback didn't do much, and warned the goverment that the handgun buyback would be pointless, but hey it's only taxpayers money..
    ah... the article agrees with that too, but says mass shootings have stopped, which is good.
    The latter finding contrasts with a report published in October which found that half a billion dollars spent removing guns had virtually no effect on homicide rates.

That report - by two Australian academics, Jeanine Baker and Samara McPhedran, and published in the British Journal of Criminology - said gun homicide deaths were falling well before the buyback and the rate of decline hardly changed with the new laws.

Dr Simon Chapman, another author of the latest study, agreed that the rate of gun homicide was falling before the buyback. He said that while the rate had risen since then, the numbers involved were so small they were not statistically significant.

The most important impact of the buyback was that there had been no mass shootings.

He said 112 people had been killed in 11 mass shootings in the 10 years up to Port Arthur, and removing the semi-automatic weapons used in those shootings was a principal aim of the policy.
    so gun suicides were affected, gun homicide was not, and mass shootings have halted. can't find mention of overall suicides or homicides.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 02-27-2007 at 09:24 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    afaik it didn't rise but i often hear gun crime itself actually increased. similarily the governments own bureau of statistics has said the gun buyback didn't do much, and warned the goverment that the handgun buyback would be pointless, but hey it's only taxpayers money..
    ah... the article agrees with that too, but says mass shootings have stopped, which is good.

The proportion of murders involving a weapon peaked in 1996 (after which our new gun restrictions were introduced) at 78% while the proportion of attempted murders involving a weapon peaked in 1997 at 87%.

The proportion of robberies in which a weapon was used increased from 36% in 1995 to 46% in 1998 and has since generally declined to 36% in 2004. For those robberies that involved a weapon, the proportion involving a firearm decreased from 28% in 1995 to 14% in 2000, and has been stable from 2000 to 2004 at 15%.
    A firearm was used in 5% of robberies recorded in 2004, the lowest proportion since national reporting began in 1993. The proportion of murders involving a firearm was 13% in 2004. This has decreased significantly since 1996 when 32% of murders involved a firearm. For attempted murders in 2004, a firearm was used in 23% of offences, marginally above its low of 19% in 1998 and well below its high of 31% in 1999.
    http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]

canuck yes they are standard issue, just not in that specification unfortunately although i dohate 16 inch barrels... who cares if it's more rigid, i like muzzle velocity, thanks

haha, probably, i seem to recall they didn't like us after sme refugee incident
    and no, the gun is a steyr aug which i'd like the ADF to upgrade theirs to the same spec on the basis that it looks cool.
    These look cool but not as high tech as you ravatar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

The proportion of murders involving a weapon peaked in 1996 (after which our new gun restrictions were introduced) at 78% while the proportion of attempted murders involving a weapon peaked in 1997 at 87%.

The proportion of robberies in which a weapon was used increased from 36% in 1995 to 46% in 1998 and has since generally declined to 36% in 2004. For those robberies that involved a weapon, the proportion involving a firearm decreased from 28% in 1995 to 14% in 2000, and has been stable from 2000 to 2004 at 15%.
    A firearm was used in 5% of robberies recorded in 2004, the lowest proportion since national reporting began in 1993. The proportion of murders involving a firearm was 13% in 2004. This has decreased significantly since 1996 when 32% of murders involved a firearm. For attempted murders in 2004, a firearm was used in 23% of offences, marginally above its low of 19% in 1998 and well below its high of 31% in 1999.
    http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]
    that's some good info, cheers
    These look cool but not as high tech as you ravatar.
    haha yeah, it seems to be all the rage these days for companies to fit 'tactical' front ends in a bid to be taken seriously by the military. I'm sure it has something to do with standardisation but it goes a bit far:

i'm not quite sure what those sight rails would do on a grenade launcher..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

the government will never git me gunz......hehehe

i'm not quite sure what those sight rails would do on a grenade launcher..[/QUOTE]

I used that in Far Cry I think.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

i'm not quite sure what those sight rails would do on a grenade launcher..

Obviously it's for the uber hax grenade sniper...

I used that in Far Cry I think.
    haha whenever i see those sight rails all over a gun, i keep thinking of it as a sort of military one-upmanship. 'who can fit the most sighting attachments to a weapon'
    Obviously it's for the uber hax grenade sniper...
    does the phrase "the trajectory is like a goddamned rainbow" mean anything to you?

does the phrase "the trajectory is like a goddamned rainbow" mean anything to you?
    But with uber hax it goes as far as a rainbow

But with uber hax it goes as far as a rainbow
    haha, and bends light too?

haha, and bends light too?
    Blinds the enemy before destruction...

Thread Information