Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: anyone hunt?

My grandfather and uncle are shooters, not sure what rifles theyve got other than a few .22's. Theres not much to shoot around here though, mainly just rabbits, and even then i think the closest hunting area's are the pine tree farms near Bathurst. My other grandfather used to live on 25 acres, and he really only had snakes and the odd rabbit.

btw, im in love with the 1911 .45.
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 03-23-2007 at 10:08 PM.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    hard to acquire, for us, unless you want one in 9mm, that being the maximum sized cartridge for casual pistol shooters these days. i don't mind too much, since 9mm is cheaper, it's just the assumption that 9mm is somehow less fatal in the wrong hands, lol.

last 4 pics are from an acquaintance in New Zealand who is an avid collector of service rifles in particular...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Do you guys have to get licenced to cull roos in qld clutch?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Do you guys have to get licenced to cull roos in qld clutch?
    yep. i'd get mine, except i don't hunt often enough to make use of it, and i never really bother going after kangaroo's anyway unless specifically asked by the landowner. I figure people in cars are doing a better job of culling than i am
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    hard to acquire, for us, unless you want one in 9mm, that being the maximum sized cartridge for casual pistol shooters these days. i don't mind too much, since 9mm is cheaper, it's just the assumption that 9mm is somehow less fatal in the wrong hands, lol.
    If i had to have one it'd preferably be an original, but i'd imagine theyre relics these days. The reproductions dont seem to be as sleek, although probably operate alot better. Know of anyone with a Beretta 92?
    I am the Stig

yep. i'd get mine, except i don't hunt often enough to make use of it, and i never really bother going after kangaroo's anyway unless specifically asked by the landowner. I figure people in cars are doing a better job of culling than i am
    Ok fair enough. I've heard that it's quite tough to get and hard to maintain i.e need a very high powered rifle, be able to hit them in the head from quite distance and pay to keep a suitable burial pit to dispose of the bodies.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

If i had to have one it'd preferably be an original, but i'd imagine theyre relics these days. The reproductions dont seem to be as sleek, although probably operate alot better. Know of anyone with a Beretta 92?
    ah, you meant an original 1911 not the action/style? originals in use today have usually been refurbished several times and are good for another 50 years or so (they were still in service with the US army in the first gulf war)
    yes, as beretta's are quite popular as they're easy to handle and use, and you can enter a bunch of competitions with them it's hard to identify which beretta 92 a person has because of the different models, and they've been in production since 1976, and been manufacturing pistols of that style since 1931!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Ok fair enough. I've heard that it's quite tough to get and hard to maintain i.e need a very high powered rifle, be able to hit them in the head from quite distance and pay to keep a suitable burial pit to dispose of the bodies.
    it is fairly difficult to get one, as they're tightly monitored so only the correct amount are culled you can do roo culling with a .22, and i prefer to do so, since it's cheaper and you need a fair bit of bushcraft skill to sneak in close enough (70m or less) for a humane kill.
    the last time i went on a roo cull all the carcasses were donated to a dog food company
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 03-24-2007 at 12:15 AM.

yeah the 1911 is one of the greatest guns ever made. i prefer the .45 to the 9mm. the 9mm is a little cheaper and quite a bit faster but the .45 has stopping power up the arse.

you kind of have to pick your poison...would you rather get hit by a fast moving golfball or a medium speed moving brick?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I'd have to agree...I'd pick a .45 any day over 9mm. Although the surplus Chinese military 9mm ammo is both dirt cheap and surprisingly excellent quality...it uses and FMJ bullet, though, so it's not that well suited to self-defense. Still, it shoots nice and consistent, very accurate, and the powder even looks like Vihtavuori (sp?) powder, which is a pretty quality powder.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

last 4 pics are from an acquaintance in New Zealand who is an avid collector of service rifles in particular...
    Priceless some of those especially the one that I believe is a WW2 era M1 carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    Priceless some of those especially the one that I believe is a WW2 era M1 carbine.
    they used to be common once upon a time...
    lol, i still have 380 rounds of the .30 calibre carbine ammo, but nothing to shoot it with.

Thread Information