Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phase III GTHO Falcon sets new auction record for muscle car!

Phase III GTHO Falcon sets new auction record for muscle car!

Ford GTHO sets new auction record for a 'muscle car' at Bonhams & Goodman's first collectors' cars auction for 2007
    Melbourne, Sydney and Perth - Sunday 25 March 2007

1 February 2007
    On Sunday 25 March 2007, Bonhams & Goodman held a major sale of collectors' cars, motorcycles and automobilia simultaneously in Melbourne and Sydney with a live feed to car enthusiasts in Perth.

A new auction record was set with the sale of lot 16, a superbly restored original Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III. The car sold for $683,650 (including buyer's premium).

The famed GTHO was developed for racing and is the ultimate Falcon GT. The prototype was built in 1969 and prepared for the long distance race at Bathurst. Allan Moffat went on to achieve back to back victories in phase II and III versions of the car in 1970 and 1971.

The 'muscle car' was hotly contested by telephone bidders and those present in the Melbourne and Sydney salerooms. Bidding opened at $400,000 and bids for the car raced, keeping auctioneer and Chief Executive Officer Tim Goodman busy. Goodman eventually brought down the hammer to a Sydney enthusiast bidding on the telephone.

Another highlight at the auction was the sale of one of the world's best Bentleys. Lot 25, a c.1925 3/4� litre Bentley, superbly restored to 'Old Mother Gun' specification sold to an international buyer on the phone for $480,250.

"Whilst it saddens me a little to see cars like the Bentley go overseas, we are fortunate to be able to offer these special cars to a global audience, thereby achieving the best result for the vendor," says Goodman. "This auction further affirms Bonhams & Goodman's enviable position in the collectors' cars market and sets the scene for an exciting year ahead".

Robert Glover, National Head of Collectors' Cars who joined Bonhams & Goodman earlier this year from Bonhams in the United Kingdom has had a fabulous auction debut and echoes Goodman's sentiments. "I am confident that we will continue to raise the profile of the Motoring Department both here and overseas through these national format auctions", Glover says.

Other cars that performed well at the auction include Lot 24, a 1999 Maserati Quattroporte which sold for $40,680. The proceeds from the sale of the vehicle are being kindly donated by the vendor to the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia. Bonhams & Goodman has also donated the seller's commission to the Service. Lot 20, A 1972 Rolls-Royce Corniche Drophead Coupe sold for $84,750.

The next Bonhams & Goodman sale of Collectors' Cars is scheduled to take place on 24 June 2007

-----

And worth every cent in my book
    The Datto will rage again...

LOL who said Fords were cheap..

Honestly i know there classics and great legends and all but you couldn't get me to pay more then $200,000 for a Ford or Holden. That's if i had it.
    The Guy that owns a Phase 4 will be thinking after this more.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

the phase IV in 98 was valued at 100k, 10 years down the track and with a III selling for that much... the mind boggles.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    The famed GTHO was developed for racing and is the ultimate Falcon GT. The prototype was built in 1969 and prepared for the long distance race at Bathurst. Allan Moffat went on to achieve back to back victories in phase II and III versions of the car in 1970 and 1971.
    For mention, in GT-HO's debut year at Bathurst in 1969 they were clearly the fastest car in the race, with the leading Klosters Ford 'Phase I' of McPhee in a winning position until very late in the event. He ultimately came in 2nd after being involved in a collision with a slower car while overtaking with about 20 laps to go. This resulted in an excruciatingly long (six minute) pitstop to repair the radiator support panel, yet he only lost the race to a Monaro GTS by 44 seconds

After the 'Supercar' beatup of 1972 (which resulted in Ford cancelling the new-gen Phase IV and their having to persist in racing the previous Phase III) the old GT-HO was still very competitive at Bathurst '72 and could well have won that race too if not for a rare wet race and poor tyre choice which culminated in a costly spin etc

Yeah I know it's the 'ifs buts and maybes' of motor racing. But to illustrate the fantastic competition record of those Phase cars, of the four years GT-HOs raced at Bathurst they very convincingly won two and perhaps deserved to win the others. Every year GT-HOs were entered they easily acheived pole, were fastest down Çonrod and always set the fastest lap

a couple of pics:
    Fast Freddy Gibson's GT-HO @ Oran Park 1971?
    Core vehicle the XY Falcon GT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nota; 03-25-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Besides a 1967 Ford Mustang coupe or fastback, the old GTHO Phase III is my favourite Ford car. Personally, I think the car is worth the $683,650 it sold for at auction. My best friend's Dad owned an original GTHO but he sold the car in the 1980's. If he still had it he could have sold the car for a small fortune. He owns a very powerful 2005 FPV (insert full model name here ) now, so he has owned the old GT and the new GT.
    Last edited by john14; 03-25-2007 at 11:15 PM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    LOL who said Fords were cheap..

Honestly i know there classics and great legends and all but you couldn't get me to pay more then $200,000 for a Ford or Holden. That's if i had it.
    The Guy that owns a Phase 4 will be thinking after this more.
    Youve got to think of it as an investment. 5-10 years ago, a good Phase 3 was worth $80K. A show winner might get $150K. Today it seems anyone selling one under $500K is getting robbed...

That Phase 4 out in the middle of nowhere, you couldnt put a price on it. Nota's probably the only one that could think of a single car with as much history and pedigree
    I am the Stig

It's alot for a car.. This guy now will expect 50% increase on this when he sells it, But a investment car? I have such trouble seeing cars as anything other then pains in the arse's... But they are less trouble then women not the same pleasure but less nagging.

Supercars in the news, then and now

(then)
    http://www.brock05.com/scrapbook1.php

(Phase III resale news now)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gts5NEPr9JI

(genuine Phase IV)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si1dSF0VN4s

(old series-production race footage, unfortunately with music
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fymf-9y2rGo

Just another note, the now owner of this record setting car also owns the last ever Monaro, which he won in the eBay auction.

My local Holden dealer is still advertising new HSV GTO coupes @ $10k off list

For the record, new price for this car was $5,000. 1989 price was $50,000. '07 price... $683,650... You'd be kicking yourself if you let one go in '89 for 50k if you could've kept it.

I thought they reached over $100K at one point in the '80s?
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I thought they reached over $100K at one point in the '80s?
    Vaguely remember new XY GTs listed under $5300 and Phase IIIs opened from about $5700, but would have to check to be sure. After their track days were over all the GT-HOs did drop in value, and even the Phase IIIs .. but only briefly. In 1973 or '74 I recall seeing adverts for an ex-race XY GT-HO in RCN magazine for approx $3800, and even cheaper was a roughie in the Melbourne Age priced at IIRC about $2500

I would almost sell my soul to the devil to have the gtho of allan moffats.I have been checking prices out and even the replicar' are bringing in big bucks. I almost bought one when i was a kid. They went for $12.000 at the time, as you can see it was a few years back about.

I got no soul to sell.

Thread Information