67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Porsche Carrera GT

41 61.19%
  • Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano

26 38.81%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Carrera GT vs Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    Aren't they? Where have the days of the F40, the Commendatore, the XJ220, gone, the days of the Exotic car. Unfortunatly for me nowadays there's just to much focus on enginering and not enough on design. Almost all supercars lack the Exotic feel that they once had.
    while the F40 was an awesome car, as was the XJ220, they were both still compromised. the F40 was near impossible to drive on the edge, the interior was straight out of a race car, and it wasn't ideal for anything related to daily driving. thats why they had the TR and the 456GT and the 456GT. The XJ220 was compromised form the start when they didnt get the V-12 they wanted. and then, even after it broke the record for fastest production car, they couldnt sell it. wasnt there still a new one for sale in london until last year?

what the 599 does is make a car with performance on par with the F40, but they do it in a car that is more comfortable, better ergonomics, higher quality workmanship, and significantly more reliable. and not just that, but i have never found the F40 to be an attractive car. i think its beauty is in its functionality, but its not pretty. the 599 at least makes an attempt, and its functional. and they sell too. a lot of them. i bet that they will sell every 599 they make, and probably have a demand on their final model year.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    the 456GT and the 456GT
    Didn't know that they had the 456 GT and the 456 GT... By the way the 456 GT is newer than the Testarossa and the F40, it's from the early 90's, while the other two are from the 80's. Regarding the F40 v 599 comparison, yes the 599 is a better car objectively, as it should being 20 years newer, but I doubt it will attain cult status like the F40 has.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    ...but I doubt it will attain cult status like the F40 has.
    Yes, I agree. It's lacking that je ne sais quoi that the F40 had in buckets.

I agree with the hole supercar for the masses thing, but common 5 setings? 1-worse driver ever 2-bad driver 3-normal driver 4-trackday driver 5-f1 driver?
    You are making a question for which there is an objective and clear answer to deny that point of view. So I ask you to read about the settings before saying that.

Also, if someone is buying a supercar they already know what they want, they are buying in this case a 600+hp car, shouldn't it be respected? driven with care?
    If you had the money wouldn't you buy a 600bhp car? Sure you would. And do you have skills to drive it flat out from the first day? Sure not. Will you ever be able to drive it flat out or sideways with absolute confidence? Probably not. Wouldn't you like to learn how to drive it safely, yet and enjoying it and being rewarded? Sure you would. So let's not pretend we're Schumachers or Loebs and understand that the "manettino" was made for some reason.

Aren't they? Where have the days of the F40, the Commendatore, the XJ220, gone, the days of the Exotic car. Unfortunatly for me nowadays there's just to much focus on enginering and not enough on design. Almost all supercars lack the Exotic feel that they once had.

Maybe i'm just getting older and seeying it all from another angle...
    What you are lacking to today's exotics is time distance. When you look back 10 years from now you will love this cars much more and think those 10 years younger are awfull.
    Besides, when cars like the F40 came out we were kids. That's why we are so fascinated for them and why some kids are fascinated for Enzos an even Veyrons.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    while the F40 was an awesome car, as was the XJ220, they were both still compromised. the F40 was near impossible to drive on the edge, the interior was straight out of a race car, and it wasn't ideal for anything related to daily driving.

what the 599 does is make a car with performance on par with the F40,
    I agree with you except that the 599 is much more performant than a F40.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Didn't know that they had the 456 GT and the 456 GT... By the way the 456 GT is newer than the Testarossa and the F40, it's from the early 90's, while the other two are from the 80's. Regarding the F40 v 599 comparison, yes the 599 is a better car objectively, as it should being 20 years newer, but I doubt it will attain cult status like the F40 has.
    sorry, i meant mondial, 348 and 355. work with me here.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I'd take the Porsche, I'm a big Porsche fan and Fezza's just do nothing for me, what so ever, the only one that phased me slightly was the 456 Estate...
    Give me a Ferrari with decent styling, not in red or yellow, a chassis that can handle a 6litre V12 and all the torque without having to rely upon more electronical crap than Bill Gates could ever comprehend to keep everything composed, a decent interior that doesn't feel like it should be in some 1980's Ford Cortina, and a manual gearbox, then maybe I'd consider something with the badge...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

I've driven the 599 in anger (at least slightly mad) and you cannot even tell that the electronic nannies are there. And it's good thing that those nannies are in place since the car is not even fun until you are going ludicrous speeds.
    But if you are superhuman or just an idiot, you can always turn everything off via the Manettino

I've driven a few Supercars and IMO they are not really that fun to drive because of the speeds you have to go to feel like you are going fast. At first it is exciting, but then reality sets in. (They are fun to talk about after though)
    I find cars that you can get thrills without going warp speed, like the Caterham 7 or the Lotus Elise/Exige, much more enjoyable to drive on the road.
    I'll leave the Supercars for the egomaniacs

That said, the CGT and the 599 are not exactly comparable. While incredibly capable, the 599 is a grand touring car designed for high speed cruising in comfort, it has lots of amenities (no cup holders though) and space for your luggage. I think the 599 is really beautiful from the front, 3/4 and side, but the back of the car is a disappointment. For a GT car, I would rather have an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, I think it is prettier and more than capable for road use ( and a lot less money too)

The CGT is a bit more of a race car for the road and is much more raw of an automobile. For this reason, it appeals to me more than the 599 (if I had to choose between the two)
    www.morgansegal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Pho View Post
    I've driven the 599 in anger (at least slightly mad) and you cannot even tell that the electronic nannies are there. And it's good thing that those nannies are in place since the car is not even fun until you are going ludicrous speeds.
    But if you are superhuman or just an idiot, you can always turn everything off via the Manettino

I've driven a few Supercars and IMO they are not really that fun to drive because of the speeds you have to go to feel like you are going fast. At first it is exciting, but then reality sets in. (They are fun to talk about after though)
    I find cars that you can get thrills without going warp speed, like the Caterham 7 or the Lotus Elise/Exige, much more enjoyable to drive on the road.
    I'll leave the Supercars for the egomaniacs

That said, the CGT and the 599 are not exactly comparable. While incredibly capable, the 599 is a grand touring car designed for high speed cruising in comfort, it has lots of amenities (no cup holders though) and space for your luggage. I think the 599 is really beautiful from the front, 3/4 and side, but the back of the car is a disappointment. For a GT car, I would rather have an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, I think it is prettier and more than capable for road use ( and a lot less money too)

The CGT is a bit more of a race car for the road and is much more raw of an automobile. For this reason, it appeals to me more than the 599 (if I had to choose between the two)
    Those are pretty big claims you make there Mo-Pho, how can you prove to us you've driven so many supercars?

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    Those are pretty big claims you make there Mo-Pho, how can you prove to us you've driven so many supercars?
    I am an automotive photographer www.morgansegal.com

I can't post the 599 I drove since the pics are for a magazine, but here is the other one that we tested.

Lamborghini Murcielago LP640

Me driving LP640

Is that enough proof?
    www.morgansegal.com

I am an automotive photographer www.morgansegal.com

I can't post the 599 I drove since the pics are for a magazine, but here is the other one that we tested.

Lamborghini Murcielago LP640

Me driving LP640

Is that enough proof?
    NO more needed, you understand I had to ask. Welcome to UCP.

What magazine(s) you work for Mo-Pho? You should enter the photo competitions here then too if you're a professional! Welcome to UCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Give me a Ferrari with decent styling, not in red or yellow, a chassis that can handle a 6litre V12 and all the torque without having to rely upon more electronical crap than Bill Gates could ever comprehend to keep everything composed, a decent interior that doesn't feel like it should be in some 1980's Ford Cortina, and a manual gearbox, then maybe I'd consider something with the badge...
    Because you've been in one and driven one also...

Plus it is offered as a manual...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Wow... Mo-Pho. Nice pics. You should definently enter the photo competition.

Welcome to UCP by the way

Hope ya stick around for awhile.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What magazine(s) you work for Mo-Pho? You should enter the photo competitions here then too if you're a professional! Welcome to UCP.

I freelance, and have done work for a bunch of magazines, but primarily I have been shooting for Car and Driver mag. Also have done some manufacturer

Not sure I will be entering the competitions, often by the time the photos are published and I can post them, they are older than three months

Thanks
    www.morgansegal.com

I freelance, and have done work for a bunch of magazines, but primarily I have been shooting for Car and Driver mag. Also have done some manufacturer

Not sure I will be entering the competitions, often by the time the photos are published and I can post them, they are older than three months

Thanks
    You speak the truth, for you are listed as a "contributing artist" In this months Car and Driver.

If you're worried about the dates on your automotive photos, try entering the general photo comp, I'm sure you could take good pictures of things other then cars

Thread Information