Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '08 Shelby Mustang GT500KR

Quote Originally Posted by carsnut View Post
    I would like to see this Mustang go into production. Looks pretty close to the original. Do anyone of you reckon this can beat the Roush Stage 3 Mustang?
    No worries about it making production... they've already said they're going to make 1000 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Cheap-ish rear driven power is always good.
    Although I do agree with your point and overall like the current Mustangs, but did we really need another special edition?
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

They should produce a GT-390 and a remake of Bullitt.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Although I do agree with your point and overall like the current Mustangs, but did we really need another special edition?
    No, but I am willing to bet that there are people who want it.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Maybe we don't, but Ford does. Consider their current financial state. Meanwhile, the Mustang is both successful and profitable. Why wouldn't they milk it for all it's worth?

It's fine by me; I like this one.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    Why wouldn't they milk it for all it's worth?
    Trying to milk all their products for more they were worth is what lead the American auto manufacturers to trouble in the first place. Even if they are in financial trouble (to say the least) ruthless "over milking" is quite short sighted. A successful business needs to move forward before the customers asks them to.

But on the other hand like Mr Tiv pointed out - as long as there is a market for it...
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    The GT 500 uses the cast iron block from the F-150 to save cost and help achieve its incredible 2 ton curb weight. Vs the GT's Aluminum block.

Other than that I'm pretty sure the heads and supercharger are the same.
    And they still haven't given it independent rear suspension instead of a live axle.

That's one sexy antenna.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    And they still haven't given it independent rear suspension instead of a live axle.
    psh, honestly i am tired of hearing this from you guys on this forum. who gives a crap if it has IRS or not. that would just be adding even more weight to an already pig of a car. for having a solid axle the car handles and rides excellently. plus it doesn't have any wheel hop like the crappy IRS cars have. hell this car comes stock with a panhard bar and a tri-link which is a great setup on a solid axle car. thats pretty much a road race set up right there. look up the ford FR500 race car in the ford racing catalouge. its an EXTREMELY competitve turn key road race car, and i dont hear anybody complaining about a lack of IRS on that.

people who bash on the shelby for not having IRS: STFU idiots. theres plenty of other reasons to bash this car. IRS is not one of them.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

You know how many drag racers they'd piss off by putting IRS on the Mustang?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    psh, honestly i am tired of hearing this from you guys on this forum. who gives a crap if it has IRS or not. that would just be adding even more weight to an already pig of a car. for having a solid axle the car handles and rides excellently. plus it doesn't have any wheel hop like the crappy IRS cars have. hell this car comes stock with a panhard bar and a tri-link which is a great setup on a solid axle car. thats pretty much a road race set up right there. look up the ford FR500 race car in the ford racing catalouge. its an EXTREMELY competitve turn key road race car, and i dont hear anybody complaining about a lack of IRS on that.

people who bash on the shelby for not having IRS: STFU idiots. theres plenty of other reasons to bash this car. IRS is not one of them.
    Yes its a repost but I still get a laugh out of this GT500 video review, and despite it having a "road race set up right there" which supposedly "doesn't have any wheel hop" well guess what? .. You can clearly see & hear the wheel hop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGd1UBUDvZY

No wheel hop from this IRS Monaro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkD-bxhxUDc

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Yuck. Still a rape of the original design. Would only take it if it came with $1mln in a suitcase in the trunk. And even then I'd sell it after I got my million bucks

When they surveyed Mustang owners designing the new car, one of the most contentious questions was whether or not they should do a live axle. As almost all Mustangs are used as drag racers and owners' previous experience with IRS Mustangs was that they have wheel hop on hard launches, it was a simple decision for Ford to put the live axle back in. It's strong, cheap, gets the job done, and doesn't have the wheel hop. In fact, many Cobra owners swap a live axle INTO their cars for this very reason.
    Last edited by jcp123; 04-03-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Yes its a repost but I still get a laugh out of this GT500 video review, and despite it having a "road race set up right there" which supposedly "doesn't have any wheel hop" well guess what? .. You can clearly see & hear the wheel hop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGd1UBUDvZY

No wheel hop from this IRS Monaro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkD-bxhxUDc
    You base top gear for your knowladge? Come on! GTO's are known for their wheelhop hell vipers have wheelhope.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440 View Post
    You base top gear for your knowladge? Come on! GTO's are known for their wheelhop hell vipers have wheelhope.
    Evidently high-tech GT500s with the live-axle "road race set up" also suffer from axle hop(e) [sic]. As in no-hope

Ignore the TG commentary by all means, but unless you're blind and deaf you CAN see & hear it in the video

basing your assumptions on what top gear says about the car just shows how utterly foolish you are. that show (and especially that IDIOT jeremy clarkson) is so full of crap and stupid bashing of america and its products. lets point out some "facts" from this "review" that are completely false.

"Suspension and brakes are left stock" oh really!? im pretty sure the GT500 comes with giant 4 piston brembo brakes with 14 inch rotors.

they say it doesnt have an LSD, thats completley false as well. even the v6 comes stock with a limited slip diff.

they say its only good for going fast in a straight line and looking good despite the fact it went around their track faster than:

Aston Martin DB7 GT
    Audi S4
    Porsche 911 Turbo
    Vauxhall VX220 turbo
    New Audi TT
    Honda NSX Type R
    BMW M3
    Nissan 350Z
    Noble M12 GTO
    Mercedes SL 55 AMG
    Ferrari 575M
    Lotus Elise
    Aston Martin Vanquish

Among others.

also here is another comment i copied and pasted from another website about the review:
    Someone help us understand what's going on here. In the latest episode of Top Gear, Richard Hammon revisits the Ford Shelby GT500 that the British motoring show tested late last year. For comparison's sake, Hammond brings along his own classic Shelby GT390. We're used to Top Gear bashing our U.S. ware at every opportunity, and the GT500 again takes a licking for having a suspension that can't handle the car's power. But when Hammond wheels out a portable chassis dyno to accurately measure the GT500's horsepower, he seems surprised to learn that the car produces 447 horsepower. Of course, that's 447 wheel horsepower, meaning the horsepower is being measured at the wheel where parasitic drivetrain losses are in effect and reduce the manufacturer's flywheel horsepower rating a good 10 to 20%. In fact, if you factor in a 10% drivetrain loss on Ford's flywheel horsepower rating of 500, you get 450 wheel horsepower, which is pretty darn close to the 447 achieved by Hammond's "rolling road". For some inexplicable reason, however, Hammond and his comparitavely giant co-host, Jeremy Clarkson, ding the GT500 for producing 53 less horsepower than advertised. Huh?
    so screw that review and screw top gear. look at some of their other reviews of american cars too. the z06 review? complete garbage.

did you see the one were they raced a mustang around a track vs a real horse? how ridiculous was that? they say its a GT V8 when its clearly a v6, then the car is driven horribly on purpose and somehow does end up losing to the horse, how convenient. give me a break

as for the monaro not having any wheel hop, i call BS, i have seen it with my own eyes multiple times (granted it was a GTO here).
    everybody knows IRS wheel hops like a mofo unless you do some serious work and even then its not as good as a solid axle.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Thread Information