Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed Miss America 1944 stops intruder.

Armed Miss America 1944 stops intruder.

Source - The Associated Press

Armed Miss America 1944 stops intruder Fri Apr 20, 8:16 PM ET

WAYNESBURG, Ky. - Miss America 1944 has a talent that likely has never appeared on a beauty pageant stage: She fired a handgun to shoot out a vehicle's tires and stop an intruder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Venus Ramey, 82, confronted a man on her farm in south-central Kentucky last week after she saw her dog run into a storage building where thieves had previously made off with old farm equipment.

Ramey said the man told her he would leave. "I said, 'Oh, no you won't,' and I shot their tires so they couldn't leave," Ramey said.

She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun.

"I didn't even think twice. I just went and did it," she said. "If they'd even dared come close to me, they'd be 6 feet under by now."

Ramey then flagged down a passing motorist, who called 911.

Curtis Parrish of Ohio was charged with misdemeanor trespassing, Deputy Dan Gilliam said. The man's hometown wasn't immediately available. Three other people were questioned but were not arrested.

After winning the pageant with her singing, dancing and comedic talents, Ramey sold war bonds and her picture was adorned on a B-17 that made missions over Germany in World War II, according to the Miss America Web site.

Ramey lived in Cincinnati for several years and was instrumental in helping rejuvenate Over-the-Rhine historic buildings. She returned to Kentucky in 1990 to live on her farm.

"I'm trying to live a quiet, peaceful life and stay out of trouble, and all it is, is one thing after another," she said.
    What can you say about this story?
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Unnecesary use of violence = jailtime here. The thiefs would run away ithout a problem and Ms. America would go to jail. Long live Dutch law !

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Unnecesary use of violence = jailtime here. The thiefs would run away ithout a problem and Ms. America would go to jail. Long live Dutch law !
    That's just stupid. It's not like she killed anyone.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

That story is amazing.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    That's just stupid. It's not like she killed anyone.
    Bank robbers that were beaten down even got shop owners in jail. If this wouldn't be done, everybody could beat anyone they want .. Equality for all ! Even for those with bad intentions !

Yeah, that's a cool story.

However, if a bank robber gets stopped before he robs a bank, is he accountable for robbing the bank anyway?

Bank robbers that were beaten down even got shop owners in jail. If this wouldn't be done, everybody could beat anyone they want .. Equality for all ! Even for those with bad intentions !
    I firmly disagree with you there. Defense is not/should not be a crime, unless it is taken to the extreme of manslaughter. I am a bit biased on this subject; if we had the laws you have, I'd be in jail.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

No offense, that law is idiotic. If somone tries to harm you it should be you're right to defend yourself.

Obviously this wouldn't make people go around beating eachother up because not everyone is trying to do harm to someone else.

Please note that drakkie is describing a figment of his imagination, not the actual situation in Holland.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Please note that drakkie is describing a figment of his imagination, not the actual situation in Holland.
    OK, I was hoping Holland wasn't that strange.

In that case you should read more newspapers. Remember the Albert Heijn guys ?

In that case you should read more newspapers. Remember the Albert Heijn guys ?
    Yes they kept kicking a guy while he was on the ground for stealing an apple. That is excessive violence either in Holland or your much beloved US.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Yes they kept kicking a guy while he was on the ground for stealing an apple. That is excessive violence either in Holland or your much beloved US.
    Exactly. But isn't shooting excessive violence too then ?

IMO it is quite an excessive thing and in this case (it seems) useless, but offcourse I don't know what you do in your spare time, maybe you are part of the gun lobby.

Exactly. But isn't shooting excessive violence too then ?
    She's 82 and shot thier tires!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    She's 82 and shot thier tires!
    So ? IMO it is something to do only as a last resort.. But offcourse opinions are free to have and vary. Just getting mine across

Thread Information