Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gumball 3000

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    His wife has sadly passed away also.

The backlash from these idiotic "rallies" is the chance that all rallies will be banned from public roads. There are millions of miles of competitive rallying undertaken on public roads every year with none of the boorish behavious or these rich spoilt brats. Shame that I suspect we will see the bathwater and baby all in the gutter.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this incident was the 'straw that broke the camel's back' so to speak, ending all road rallies in the future. Condolences to the family.

To tell you the truth, I think all road rallies are dangerous (yeah, big surprise) , but events like the Gumball 3000 are stupidly dangerous. It's amazing how these rich brats can literally burn through Europe on a private Blitzkreig without any responsibility towards others or the environment. This accident goes to show that these types of events should be banned because it's basically encouraging street racing. This doesn't mean that I'm against events like the Targa Tasmania where people don't endanger others at high speeds for the sheer hell of it.

What's also amazing is that there are only a few deaths since this event began.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Dollars Does not equal Sense, and in this case it's a sign of the one-track minds that many of these contestants have - working to get to the next checkpoint or the next booze stop.

they're tools. plain and simple. lets hope this stops their gallavanting around the world and putting so many more lives at risk. we've been very, VERY lucky only one person has been killed.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    To tell you the truth, I think all road rallies are dangerous.
    Navigational road rallies are planned with an average speed of 30mph on open roads !! So half the speed limit.
    Classic road rallies have many miles of "regularity timed stages" where exceeding target speeds loses points and no sections are ever at national speed limts ( coz to AVERAGE that speed you woudl have to at some point exceed it and no event will get a license if it dod )
    "tour routes" are used in many rallies to introduce a little navigational experience in moving from stage to stage. These adhere to the same rules and recommendations as navigational rallies.
    The ONLY times a rally organiser can run fast times on public roads is by having them closed to the public with permission from the police and ALL the residents affected. (in the UK)
    So not all "road rallies" are dangerous
    Sadly most folks see GUmball et al as a "rally"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The story isn't as bad as has been made out yes they crashed, they checked to see if the man and wife were ok, They called an ambulance, waited and then were told they could continue. when the man died the border was told to arrest them to provide statements and at this point they have been released pending investigation.

"It's not a murder, it's a manslaughter"

I'd love to see the start of the Gumball in London, all the cars...
    Shame when something like that has to ruin the atmosphere for the people involved.

And is this Matra condoning rallies as idiotic?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Hopefully it won't start action against rallies like:
    http://www.targanewfoundland.com/home.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    And is this Matra condoning rallies as idiotic?
    Try condemning, and, yes, he is condemning rallies like Gumball, not to say that he's condemning rallies in general.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 05-05-2007 at 05:07 PM.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

read the statement made by Mr. Cooper (organiser)...

Gumball is a "Cultural International Tour"

so it is not a rallye.....

How gross and arrogant can people become when they get access to money.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    read the statement made by Mr. Cooper (organiser)...

Gumball is a "Cultural International Tour"

so it is not a rallye.....

How gross and arrogant can people become when they get access to money.
    ROFL... that's really the lamest thing I've ever heard...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Plot gets even thicker... apparently Mr, Morley, the driver, who went to jail was granted bail and given his passport back as a sign of good faith, and soon enough he was caught trying to board a private jet he had booked, hence went back to jail!. If leaving the scene of the accident (mob or not mob, authorities or no authorities) was not the best choice, this was just plain stupid!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../06/wgum06.xml
    Zag when they Zig

Thread Information