Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Question About Fuel Injection/Carbs

Quick Question About Fuel Injection/Carbs

I suppose it's best that I explain why I'm asking this so that the question is understood and answered as fully as possible. I may being being a 1976 Triumph TR6 in the next few weeks(I'm not in any rush, it's not going anywhere). It's basically nothing more than body panels, a chassis, suspension, and a bunch of garbage. The driveline, the interior and the top are ruined.

Since the engine is scrap, or so I'm told(I've yet to see the car), I intend to replace it. I'm thinking that a V8 is the route that I'll be going. This decision presents me with a problem.

The engines that I've been looking into are: a 3.5L Rover V8, a 3.4L Ford/Yamaha V8(yes it's used in FWD applications, but I've already sorted out how to mate it to a T-5) , a 4.6L Ford Modular V8, and a Ford 5.0L V8.

You may notice that all of the engines, excepting the 5.0L are all aluminum. I prefer that to the iron block for weight reasons. The issue is that the Rover V8 which is really the ideal engine for this is rather hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

The other two aluminum engines are fuel injected. I'd prefer carbs.

So, my question for those of you who have a better understanding of this than myself is: how, exactly, would I convert them from EFI to Carbs? (Please, explain this in as much detail as possible.) Would it be better to just track down the Rover or just deal with the miseries of trying to wire up EFI that to convert an EFI engine to carbs?
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 05-19-2007 at 05:26 PM.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

First off, wiring up EFI to a motor that's already EFI isn't hard. Unless plugging in connectors is hard for you. In which case, so would Legos.

It'd actually be harder to take the fuel injection off. I'd have to look at each engine individually, but the 4.6 seems to be the worst option for trying to make it carbed since it's a COP motor, too.

The intake manifold would need to be changed, possibly to something custom. If you don't want to go the distributor route, you'll still need electronics to run the spark.

Honestly, your best bet is to get a whole donor car and swap all of the electronics over. It's not hard to do if you take your time.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    First off, wiring up EFI to a motor that's already EFI isn't hard. Unless plugging in connectors is hard for you. In which case, so would Legos.

It'd actually be harder to take the fuel injection off. I'd have to look at each engine individually, but the 4.6 seems to be the worst option for trying to make it carbed since it's a COP motor, too.

The intake manifold would need to be changed, possibly to something custom. If you don't want to go the distributor route, you'll still need electronics to run the spark.

Honestly, your best bet is to get a whole donor car and swap all of the electronics over. It's not hard to do if you take your time.
    I've never done any work with an EFI engine. I really wouldn't know the first thing about wiring it up. I have however worked on quite a few carb'd engines and assisted in a complete build up of a ford 390. I'd really like to stick to what I have experience with, that's all.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 05-19-2007 at 06:09 PM.

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

get a good GM Crate motor!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

If its a modern engine, you'll probably need to keep the computer. You might be able to get away with keeping the injectors disconnected, and just switch the throttle from the TB to the carb.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    If its a modern engine, you'll probably need to keep the computer. You might be able to get away with keeping the injectors disconnected, and just switch the throttle from the TB to the carb.
    Won't work. It'll have a constant CEL and will not pass any smog test.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Don't they make alloy blocks for the Ford 302s? I would also consider the GM LSx motors. Great power to weight ratio though not as small as the Ford motor. I would also look into sites that specialize in things like Cobra replicas and the like.

By my knowledge wiring up an engine with EFI is indeed not too hard. The main thing is just to get a very good diagram and then just do it. If you pay attention during the build, you'll be fine

About the conversion I don't really know too much..

EFI is the go definetley, if you only want an engine and not the whole ecu, you could go a aftermarket ecu as if you modify the engine the ecu can be remapped for the different motor tune. Its a more expensive way to go but it gives you more options down the track.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Thanks. This has pretty much confirmed my suspicions-It's not worth trying. I might as well just wire up the fuel injection(which, until now, I've always heard to be a bitch), deal with a iron block(which isn't that much heavier) or find a Rover V8.

Just take it to an auto electrician and get the to do it properly first time, rather than fiddling around yourself.

But if you get a whole car, doing the electrical won't be a problem. You'll have all the pieces you need. It'll literally be plug and play.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    But if you get a whole car, doing the electrical won't be a problem. You'll have all the pieces you need. It'll literally be plug and play.
    So I should buy two cars? The car that the engine's going into and the car the engine's coming out of, not just the car that the engine's going into and the engine itself? Considering that the Triumph's only going to run me $500 that is perfectly feasible.

Yeah, if you can swing that, do it. Having a full donor car will save you a lot of time and headaches. You'll have all the wiring, sensors, and connectors you'll need. The hardest part then will be deciding how to route the wiring to fit the car it's going in.

Here's a thread I made a while ago about putting engines in cars they don't belong in. It's a good place to get started for what you'll be in for.
    Last edited by Quiggs; 05-20-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Mr.Tiv, wny not find an engines which already runs on carbs (not necessarily the ones you posted)? Wouldn't it be a lot easier?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information