Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twin Turbo Ferrari 550

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    hur ? i thought i heard many sources mentioning about that 1.5 liter BMW F1 GP car with 1500hp????
    In qualifying trim BMW's turbo F1 engines were said to produce about 1500bhp. However the life in those particularly engines could be measured in minutes probably...
    Anyway, wat does Ferrer meant?
    Here goes a highly scientific explanation of turbo lag. Turbo lag is what happens when you bury your foot deep into the carpet and you don't make progress at all. And suddenly... KABOOM!!! you are incrustated in the seat. That's turbo lag.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Here goes a highly scientific explanation of turbo lag. Turbo lag is what happens when you bury your foot deep into the carpet and you don't make progress at all. And suddenly... KABOOM!!! you are incrustated in the seat. That's turbo lag.
    If an NA engine that had 500hp, turbo charged to 800hp (like that dunno-which-tuner's M5 TT) other than heavier by a tad, it wouldn't be much less performance than a standard M5 right? And when the Turbo spools... that's where all the extra 300hp comes. Am i right?
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

If an NA engine that had 500hp, turbo charged to 800hp (like that dunno-which-tuner's M5 TT) other than heavier by a tad, it wouldn't be much less performance than a standard M5 right? And when the Turbo spools... that's where all the extra 300hp comes. Am i right?
    Well I'm no engineer but I doubt it's as easy as that. There will be problems like added cost, reliablity, higher fuel consumption, and probably others that I dont' know.
    Visca Catalunya!

hur ? i thought i heard many sources mentioning about that 1.5 liter BMW F1 GP car with 1500hp????

Anyway, wat does Ferrer meant?
    It might have reached that on the bench, but the peak power during qualifying was closer to 1200 and in the race probably down to 800.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

You are wrong. You are talking of a power increase of over 50%. What do you think that would do to the engine's internals and the drivetrain? These would need serious buffing up. And then there is the excessive heat created by the turbochargers. Have you heard of a car called the Bugatti Veyron? It needs a plethora of radiators to keep the engine cool. Where are you going to leave those in the M5?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Well, to me it's just simple. Turbo lag, is only an issue if you wanted to compare a small displacement engine car, turbo charged to simulate a large displacement NA car. But for every car in this world, turbo charging adds power and burns fuel more efficiently, why not?

the reason i'm using that M5 tt as an example, is - Does the turbo lag bothers you? Of course it bothers a driver of an Evo FQ400. But for a 5.0 V10

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    The 1500 is grossly exaggerated.
    i thought I this was true as well. I don't believe it was a race engine but maybe a test one??

EDIT: nevermind, really should look at page numbers
    Last edited by derekthetree; 06-05-2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: my stupidity
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Well, to me it's just simple. Turbo lag, is only an issue if you wanted to compare a small displacement engine car, turbo charged to simulate a large displacement NA car. But for every car in this world, turbo charging adds power and burns fuel more efficiently, why not?

the reason i'm using that M5 tt as an example, is - Does the turbo lag bothers you? Of course it bothers a driver of an Evo FQ400. But for a 5.0 V10
    A turbocharger forces more in the combustion chambers. This is only useful if there is more fuel fed in as well. So a turbocharger does not help burn fuel more efficiently; it helps burn more fuel.

(Ted Joans)

A small one might make a tiny engine more efficient though right?

It makes it more efficient by producing more power out of less engine. Am I right there?

How much power you want will decrease efficiency though.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

It might have reached that on the bench, but the peak power during qualifying was closer to 1200 and in the race probably down to 800.
    Here is a page with pictures and a spec sheet of the engine through it's time.

http://www.gurneyflap.com/bmwturbof1engine.html

A turbocharger forces more in the combustion chambers. This is only useful if there is more fuel fed in as well. So a turbocharger does not help burn fuel more efficiently; it helps burn more fuel.
    This is a question I have wondered, if the turbocharger rams more air in the engine, what mechanism then detects more air and adds more fuel in the air-fuel mix to keep the ratio roughly the same or is the ratio changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This is a question I have wondered, if the turbocharger rams more air in the engine, what mechanism then detects more air and adds more fuel in the air-fuel mix to keep the ratio roughly the same or is the ratio changed?
    If I'm not mistaken engines work with a fixed air/fuel ratio, therefore more air results in more fuel being ignited, and therefore more power.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    A good example is the Audi Quattro Sport. The road-legal version was supposed to have terrible turbo lag causing it to be slower than a VW Polo at a certain period of time until it hit a certain speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The computer controls the air-fuel ratio.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    The computer controls the air-fuel ratio.
    Alright, what was the mechanical device before computers that did it. It seems that in this day and age, the simple answer is to say that a computer did it (as if a computer were somehow very, very basic - though this is untrue).

KotR I was more thinking of turbos back in the 70's and 80's and the like before the advent of computer technology in cars. With a turbocharger, it would make more sense if something somehow communicated with the carburetor/fuel injector and made the carburetor/fuel injector add more fuel as the boost of the turbo went up.

I guess it depends. If a Turbocharger had the same air fuel ratio of a non turbo charged version. Then it makes no sense having one i guess.

'I thought' at most times, it's (The same ratio of fuel) with more (Oxygen) = higher pressure combustion. Of course when you step on the pedal, neccessary changes to the ratios had to be altered to be smooth and efficient i guess.

Thread Information