Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Computer

New Computer

Hey guys, haven't posted much lately but I need some advice on a new computer.

I'm looking for 1 gig of RAM or over, windows vista preferably, and media center capabilites. DVD drive and burner preferably. I'm not to picky about a brand but have had sucess with HP computers in the past.

Considering my family already owns a monitor, speakers, a keyboard, and a mouse from the previous computer, I won't be looking for these features bundled with a new one.

The price range we are looking at is under $800 Canadian Dollars.

I would prefer purchasing a computer from a store directly, but I am still open to buying over the internet. Also, I would like a new computer preferably over a refurbished one, so that we can have a warranty if any problems were to pop up.

It would be nice to have a computer with good gaming capabilities, but this isn't as important.

So all in all I'm looking for a nice computer for $800 or under.

Thanks in advance!
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

DIY it.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    DIY it.
    Build it myself? Is that what you mean? I only know computers a bit, not enough to build my own, I wouldn't trust myself enough when buying components.

If you're not up for building yourself. And if there are decent pc retailer shops then go check some out. Make sure you're not being ripped off. I personally wouldn't go for dell, but they can often be better than pc's bought from a retailer.

I'm not familiar with any canadian PC component websites. But i know newegg.com is a good american site. Don't rule out buying over the net. It's just as safe as long as you choose the right site, and you can often save alot of money. Also, sellers online tend to know alot more about what they are selling.

a desktop from HP under your price budget would be this one

But a good canadian PC component websites seems to be www.tigerdirect.ca

Here is a list of PC's they are selling with Vista

its a bit over your price range but from what you described above. This seems to be perfect

Watch out and avoid things like integrated graphics. I'd avoid Intel P4's (go for their Quad Duo processors). On the contrary, an AMD X2 processor (above 3800+) are great too. 1gb RAM should do you fine, ddr or ddr2. hope that gets you started
    Last edited by Cotterik; 06-04-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Is there anybody or any shop you know that can put a PC together? If so, how much is the labor? I can deduct that from the $800 and choose the best parts for the price.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap View Post
    Is there anybody or any shop you know that can put a PC together? If so, how much is the labor? I can deduct that from the $800 and choose the best parts for the price.
    I was waiting for you to post something

Good call on the Tiger Direct Cotterik my dad is a DIY computer junkie and thats where he gets most of his stuff from
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy View Post
    Good call on the Tiger Direct Cotterik my dad is a DIY computer junkie and thats where he gets most of his stuff from
    NCIX.com seems to have better prices though. They even have the X2 3600+ Brisbane (2x 512k L2) while Tigerdirect only has the X2 3600+ Windsor (2x 256k L2)
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

Also, is GHz important? Is 2.2 GHz good?

Could somebody explain the differences betweens AMD and Intel please? which should I go with?

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    What do you guys think of this?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

Also, is GHz important? Is 2.2 GHz good?

Could somebody explain the differences betweens AMD and Intel please? which should I go with?
    For Vista I do recommend 2GB of memory, dedicated video card (for 3D Aero theme to run smoothly), and a dedicated sound card. It isn't bad, but I would still choose a custom one, see attachment, that's what I called a good Vista machine. I chose the Centurion 5 case for it's family look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NuclearCrap; 06-04-2007 at 06:38 PM.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

2.2ghz is good. I'm running a 4400 (2x1mb cache) and its great. I'm a gamer too.

Remember, the AMD ghz are only clock speed. Its a guideline that the processor name (i.e 4200) runs at the intel 4.2ghz equivalent. So a 2.2ghz AMD will most likely be faster than an intel 2.2ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    2.2ghz is good. I'm running a 4400 (2x1mb cache) and its great. I'm a gamer too.

Remember, the AMD ghz are only clock speed. Its a guideline that the processor name (i.e 4200) runs at the intel 4.2ghz equivalent. So a 2.2ghz AMD will most likely be faster than an intel 2.2ghz.
    That's when it comes to comparing Athlon to Pentium 4 or Athlon X2 to Pentium D. These days a 3.0Ghz X2 6000+ struggles to match the 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo E6600. It's also proven that a E6300 underclocked to 1.6Ghz can beat a 2.0Ghz X2 3800+.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll put all this into consideration when buying in the coming weeks.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Well I looked on the dell website and you should really check it out. There are tons of desktops to choose from and you pick all the upgrades you want on them. Below is the link for one computer that fits your budget and gives you wiggle room to upgrade the ram or the processor as you like. The main dell page has a handful of others that are good too.

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/...oc=C521A2P_R_E
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

I just got my nephew a PC, But i had the cheapest place stick it together with full warentys, I only assembled it and installed software..
    It was a Intel Dual Core with 360gig HDD 2gig ram all the bells and westles..
    You need to find the cheapest place that sells PC's and ask them what it would cost for them to stick together a PC for what your needs are.. Trust me i couldnt have made this PC cheaper then they did.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information