Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MEPs bid to ban 102mph

You can always de-limit the car...
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Oh yeah, let's kill part of the European car industry
    well, you can be sure that all non-europe produced cars will have to comply with European rules if they are to be sold there...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    You can always de-limit the car...
    for export purposes
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    well, you can be sure that all non-europe produced cars will have to comply with European rules if they are to be sold there...
    For some reason premium european saloons in the US are limited to 130mph (210km/h)...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Rofl @ 102 mph top speed Porsche 911 GT2 Carrera 4 RS Super GT Edition...
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

As a car entuhusiast I hate to say it... but it needs to be done. CO2 emissions need to be brought down, and way down, in any way possible. I hate the thought of it but right now the world is going downhill fast.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Yeah, the car will still accelerate like stink anyways....
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    when is the last time you drove more than 160? (legally?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Why is it stupid? Why should cars even ever have to have that extra power? Why aren't cars electronically capped at the maximum speed in their region?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    As a car entuhusiast I hate to say it... but it needs to be done. CO2 emissions need to be brought down, and way down, in any way possible.
    Issues:

1. Usage.

Why does it follow that because you have bought a car, you will drive it on a public road?

Yes, the large majority of people buy a car for that purpose, but some people also use their cars for track days and other events held on private land.

Why, then, should an arbitrary limit be imposed on vehicles which can be used legally outside of this environment?

2. Speeding.

As Henk pointed out, the opportunities to exceed the speed limit by such a margin on a public road are limited.

If most people exceed the speed limit by only 10, or 15% they are still breaking the law, and are still creating additional CO2 emissions - this law would do nothing to prevent that.

3. Emissions.

A Range Rover V8 has a top speed of only 118mph. Would 17mph less stop them from being produced, especially as most of them are in towns and cities where they rarely reach 30?

With traffic and congestion at its worst, the opportunities for travelling on public roads at speed are increasingly limited, yet the cars on sale today are inevitably more powerful, faster and produce more emissions - look at how popular SUVs are.

Where is the evidence to suggest that a limit of 101mph would suddenly cause cars to become super-efficient and thrifty?

The one case-study of limiting top speed points to the opposite, in fact. German manufacturers have a voluntary limit of 155mph, but Ms, RSs and AMGs are still built, and each generation is more powerful and quicker to reach that 155mph figure, and also heavier and thirstier than the last.

4. Lib Dems.

The proposal is from a Lib Dem, of course it is stupid.

In summary:

The proposed legislation is useless.

It prevents people with a legitimate ability to travel at high speeds from doing so, yet doesn't prevent anyone from speeding (and therefore polluting more) on a public road.

Emissions are rarely driven by top speed - SUVs are an example of this, and many other powerful (i.e. "polluting") cars are driven below the proposed speed limit for 99% of the time.

There is no evidence to suggest that, by limiting top speed, engine size or vehicle performance would do anything but increase further.

It strikes me as being analogous to banning CDs and DVDs due to the fact that they can be used to store software and material downloaded illegally.

A ban would not stop the actual problem of illegal downloading, and would only succeed in preventing people with a legitimate application from using them.

I'm sorry. I just cannot accept it. I'd rather see a few cars around that can go 200+MPH then another sacrifice in the name of "saving the earth". I wonder how much C02 actually comes from cars going over 100MPH.

This is one the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

Limiting top speed to cut down on CO2 emissions? Don't they have nothing else to campaign?

Highways are bloodlines of the country, they move economy, development. If they have designed the countries bloodlines as wide motorways that are made for cars/buses/private owned vehicles to zoom by, then so be it. If they found this to be polluting and dangerous, then don't build highways, build electric trains instead connecting a-b; swap the whole transportation network with public transports (i.e Singapore)

By the way, speed doesn't kill, speed doesn't polute. So what now?
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

I think many people here are biased as we are all car enthusiasts. Really what is the PURPOSE of traveling at over 160km/h?

Coventry Sucks, why do all Lib-Dems have bad ideas exactly? Because they are left-wingers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I think many people here are biased as we are all car enthusiasts. Really what is the PURPOSE of traveling at over 160km/h?

Coventry Sucks, why do all Lib-Dems have bad ideas exactly? Because they are left-wingers?

Cars are not trains or whatsoever. They are your legs in a larger scale, covering larger scale of distances. Can someone ask you "not to run" to the home when your wife is in danger or pain? Can a robber ask you not run when he's chasing you?

Cars that are actually spending resources, pouring our C02, for the sake of the country to achieve higher speeds is good. Higher mobility, higher economy returns, lorries take less time to send cements to construction site, business proposals take less time to get approved. I don't see a problem with speed.

I see a problem with people's perception on speed. Speed doesn't kill nor polute, why blame it?
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

How does a petrol engine at 102mph = more CO2 than a car driving at 60 mph? It really depends on how well tuned/what engine you have. A diesel will definitely pollute more at the same speed, so I guess they'll need to ban diesels, so people will need to start saving up if petrol is the only choice.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Government is no substitute for common sense.

Besides, maybe that power isn't a matter of top speed...it's happened before that a more underpowered vehicle gets worse fuel economy than a higher-powered equivalent because the driver is working the vehicle harder to attain a given level of performance/speed/what have you.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

My question is why do people keep saying speed doesn't kill? Has any of us seen a study on the effect speed has on the death rate? Any solid proof to back this up? Common sense dictates speed does kill, but common sense may be wrong.

Thread Information