Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford passed Toyota Initial Quality

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    OK let's change the subject...I want to do research about the sustainability/reliability of marriages.
    What can I do?

I ask 20 man whether they think that they want to stay with their current wife over the next five years (no need to unnecessarily complicate this example with same sex marriages....)

All 20 man reply with YES

Now I look at the divorce statistics for the population from which the 20 man were selected. I find that over the last 5 years 30% of marriages ended in divorce....

Now what do you consider the more reliable statistic?
    Researching cars and marriage is not really the same thing.

The site I mentioned (carsurvey.org) came in handy when I was looking for a smaller car to buy for my dad.
    I was seriously considering a mid-'90s Chrysler Cirrus, but there were too many negative reviews.
    For instance, the '95 model had 12 postive reviews, 5 neutral and 10 negatives.

I then checked the Geo Prizm and it had much better reviews. I eventually bought a '97 Prizm and it behaved and drove just how other owners described (not very powerful, economical at about 30 mpg, cramped rear seat, average ride and handling).

So I'm saying that although the carsurvey site certainly isn't the best or only source when checking car's records, it is helpful. Also, others who have owned the same type of car can comment so it can add up to quite a few car reviews.
    I suggest you look around on that site with cars you are familiar with and decide for yourself (you too, Matra).
    http://www.carsurvey.org
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 06-20-2007 at 12:48 PM.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    statistical methods have the nice characteristic of being applicable for different things....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I suggest you look around on that site with cars you are familiar with and decide for yourself (you too, Matra).
    I looked at the site that Nota linked us to. I saw my car, and it had a very good reliability index, yet there were quite a few negative reviews, (I think at least 4 out of 12). So what to believe?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The site I mentioned (carsurvey.org) came in handy when I was looking for a smaller car to buy for my dad.
    I was seriously considering a mid-'90s Chrysler Cirrus, but there were too many negative reviews.
    For instance, the '95 model had 12 postive reviews, 5 neutral and 10 negatives.

I then checked the Geo Prizm and it had much better reviews. I eventually bought a '97 Prizm and it behaved and drove just how other owners described (not very powerful, economical at about 30 mpg, cramped rear seat, average ride and handling).

So I'm saying that although the carsurvey site certainly isn't the best or only source when checking car's records, it is helpful. Also, others who have owned the same type of car can comment so it can add up to quite a few car reviews.
    Can't believe you bought a japanese car.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    yep that is a real confession. The smallest we caught him in sofar was his sister's Camry...(which Fleet called "Small")

It was jointly built by G.M and Toyota (built at the Fremont, California plant).

I did consider finding a Town Car for him to drive (he was driving my 11-mpg 1970 Sedan de Ville) for a more economical car.
    But he was hard on cars and doesn't keep them top condition. I figured why let him ruin a good car (Town Car); I'll just find a Geo Prizm, that way if he ruins it, who cares?

yep that is a real confession. The smallest we caught him in sofar was his sister's Camry...(which Fleet called "Small")
    You have a good memory.
    The smallest car I drove (up until last year) was my sister-in-law's '84 Camry.
    I did drive my dad's terrible '75 Chevy Vega back in the '80s, but I forgot how long that car is.

I looked at the site that Nota linked us to. I saw my car, and it had a very good reliability index, yet there were quite a few negative reviews, (I think at least 4 out of 12). So what to believe?
    You should know the answer yourself, having owned the same car.

I've looked up some of my past cars to see what people say about them and it is generally the same thing I would say.

It was jointly built by G.M and Toyota (built at the Fremont, California plant).

I did consider finding a Town Car for him to drive (he was driving my 11-mpg 1970 Sedan de Ville) for a more economical car.
    But he was hard on cars and doesn't keep them top condition. I figured why let him ruin a good car (Town Car); I'll just find a Geo Prizm, that way if he ruins it, who cares?
    It's a rebadged Toyota Corolla. Knowing you I can't undesrtand why you bought a japanese car.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's a rebadged Toyota Corolla. Knowing you I can't undesrtand why you bought a japanese car.
    I know what it is.
    And I told you why I bought it (although I have since sold it)... I didn't want him to ruin a good car! There is no better car to ruin than a Japanese car.

I know what it is.
    And I told you why I bought it (although I have since sold it)... I didn't want him to ruin a good car! There is no better car to ruin than a Japanese car.
    If you didn't want to ruin a good car you could've bought him a Crown Victoria or something...
    Visca Catalunya!

If you didn't want to ruin a good car you could've bought him a Crown Victoria or something...
    I prefer not to comment on that.
    (BTW, I don't see Geos used as taxicabs or police cars where I live.)

I prefer not to comment on that.
    (BTW, I don't see Geos used as taxicabs or police cars where I live.)
    Who wants a Geo thingy anyway?
    Visca Catalunya!

Told you I HAD looked at it for the cars you cited and as I am used to doing research and market analysis I always review how professional any site/forum is.
    It's a bunch of anecdotes and should be treated as such.
    You get the same quality of information by listening in the toilet stall
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Told you I HAD looked at it for the cars you cited and as I am used to doing research and market analysis I always review how professional any site/forum is.
    It's a bunch of anecdotes and should be treated as such.
    You get the same quality of information by listening in the toilet stall
    So you're saying that site is completely useless and I'm saying that it isn't and was a part in me deciding what car to buy for my dad.
    In other words, we disagree... what a surprise!

Thread Information