Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falcon Hell

Falcon Hell

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2678585.aspx

Words - Joe Kenwright

Ford Australia's best-ever plain Jane six is not selling. And the reasons are more than skin deep

Comment

When a car company compromises the brand equity of one of its icon nameplates it can end up on the very edge of a slippery slide.

That's exactly what Ford Australia did when it somewhat cynically half-resurrected its ESP badge last year. As a result, the best entry-level Falcon ever sold in Australia -- and probably Australia's best-ever entry-level full-size six-cylinder family car -- is sitting in dealerships, unloved, and unsold.

Last year's European Sports Package was an SVP (Special Value Pack: Ford jargon for either "tarted-up for free" or "reduced option price"). It was introduced to counter the new VE Commodore but did not revive even a hint of the icon ESP models offered in the XD and XE Falcon series and therein lies the rub.

Everyone from Ford's own staff to some in the Ford dealer network, and therefore the buyers, are assuming that the 2007 Falcon ES (pictured) is a diluted and even more basic version of the 2006 Falcon ESP when it is one letter short in the badge.

In reality, the much more 'special' ES really should not be carrying a badge that links it in any way to last year's basic, bastardised ESP model. Indeed, ironically, with just a few external and trim tweaks, the ES is actually much closer to being worthy of the ESP badge than last year's poverty pack.

When The Carsales Network sought to test the latest ES, we were supplied with a Falcon ESP. It's not unusual for test cars to be swapped at the last minute, but in this case it highlights the disparity between the two models. And perhaps also the confusion that runs deep (even at Broadmeadows) about the SVPs that are at the very heart of Ford's efforts to keep the Falcon selling ahead of its replacement next year.

In the end, it was with the assistance of a switched-on Ford dealer that we are able to convey the full impact of this special model.

The ES is exceptional value. For just $1250 over a base Falcon XT manual it delivers $8000 worth of extras that include Ford's benchmark ZF six-speed automatic, DSC (which is Ford's version of ESP), XR sports suspension, reverse sensing system, four 17-inch sports alloys with their own ES six-spoke style, high arch rear spoiler, the Fairmont's prestige audio system and premium dash with dual-zone climate control and large screen. Oh, and an XR leather-covered steering wheel.

Read between the lines and these are most of the bits that matter in a Fairmont Ghia with more than $10,000 slashed off the price. They even lift the ES above the XR6 in several areas.

The only drawback is that the new bonnet and grille fitted to non-XR models late last year are a waste of time and money when the front on the base models is filled with the same black plastic that goes back to 2002. The latest Fairmont Ghia with its chrome accents highlights how good this facelift can look but the ES with its lacklustre detailing can look more miserable even than a base model Hyundai Getz or Nissan Tiida.

Buyers simply won't wear a dull-looking 2007 car over $30,000 no matter how much 'fruit' is thrown at it.

The ES really deserves some in-your-face exterior features to tell everyone how good it is.

Has Ford forgotten the wonderful paint accents, extra striping, two-tone colours, bumper and molding inserts, grille accents and exquisite badging that once made its runout models so special and even collector items? It's enough to make a Blue Oval fan picket Ford's Broadmeadows headquarters chanting "wake-up Henry!".

There is another factor and as Ford hasn't addressed it in five years, it means most readers simply will not accept the assessment that the ES is probably the best of its type ever offered. Yes, lion fans, superior even to the all conquering VE -- at Omega level at least.

It goes back to 2002, when the BA's release was drawn out over much of the year. By the end, most media commentators (even the blue-blooded ones) lost interest and missed the fact that the BA-BF suspension (as well as front and rear crash safety) were almost as big an advance over the 2002 Commodore as the VE Commodore was five years later.

Holden was petrified that the 2002 Commodore's cream puff rear crash protection, vintage petrol tank location and primitive semi-trailing arm suspension would be exposed for what they were. Holden boss at the time Peter Hanenberger deflected this by stating that no new model should arrive with a weight increase. Because so many commentators were not aware of what generated the new BA Falcon's extra weight, Hanenberger's tactics were so devastatingly effective that Ford seemed unable (or unwilling) to retaliate.

To achieve a similar standard, the VE Commodore faced a similar weight increase in 2006 making nonsense of Hanenberger's 2002 remarks. But the damage was done.

Consider therefore that the Falcon ES has achieved similar advances to the VE without deleting the spare wheel or splitfold rear seat while offering a full strength engine with world's best practice six-speed automatic --neither of which can even be optioned on a base level VE Commodore or Berlina.

Ford engineers must feel short-changed when their advances of five years ago were never allowed to achieve the impact or recognition they deserved. As evidence of this, the number of comparisons where reviewers express surprise that today's Falcon is so close to the VE just seems to grow.

There are other compelling reasons. Ford's sports suspension as fitted to the ES, while softer than Holden's equivalent is ahead of the base Commodore suspension in sporty feel while generating a superior ride without the 'float' of the VE Omega or Berlina.

Ford's big inline six also offers a much smoother, torquier and more effortless driving experience. Coupled with the ZF six-speed auto (which is also well ahead of the premium six-speed in Holden's V8 models), the ES drivetrain is one of the best for Australian conditions, regardless of price.

The extra vision in the Falcon, without the VE's fat windscreen pillars and hidden width, could also be the clincher -- particularly if a number of (different-sized) drivers are sharing the car.

Fuel economy is as outstanding today as the 1980s XD-XE series was when compared to the four-cylinder cars of that era. In a highway convoy of typical small cars such as a Corolla or Astra with each carrying two occupants and their luggage, the Falcon ES we tested was only disadvantaged by one litre per 100km. Our average on the highway in this company was around 9.0lt/100km.

Load up the fours with five occupants and luggage (if you could fit it) and the economy deficit would quickly be reversed. When big new family vehicles like the Mazda CX-7 with smaller four and six-cylinder engines will chew fuel at up to 14lt/100km under conditions where the Falcon is lucky to exceed 10-11, Ford has been remiss in not getting its fuel efficiency message across -- if only to save its owners from wearing gas-guzzler accusations.

As always, any Falcon with the Sports suspension is a real driver's car and the ES does not disappoint. Providing the driver does not defy the laws of physics in the wet, the DSC-equipped Falcon ES corners as if in a safety cushion. The way the DSC subtly cuts in and stops the car from getting out of shape just as the car loses grip is amazing.

Apart from some switchgear that is starting to date, up front at least, the ES cabin with the Fairmont dash is good enough at the price. Legible gauges, steering column reach and tilt, electric pedal adjustment, driver's seat electric tilt and height adjustment and top seats are all delivered. Front cabin storage is also good but the deletion of the overhead sunglasses case over earlier models is a backward step.

The rear accommodation is not as good. There are no overhead grab handles or centre armrest to locate elderly or young passengers and access to the rear seat can be tricky as well. When so many Falcons are purchased specifically to transport people with special needs, knocking out such basic features at any Falcon level is silly. It highlights the damage playing to the cut-price demands of the fleet market does to local cars.

Tomorrow's retail market will probably only need four levels of big six: in Ford terms; Fairmont (luxury with ride-oriented suspension and tyres), Fairmont ESP (luxury with handling-oriented suspension and tyres), Fairmont Ghia ESP (sports luxury with handling-oriented suspension and tyres) and XR series (sports).

The Falcon ES goes so close to filling the role of the sporty Fairmont, that it is a pity there isn't something special about the car's frontal appearance and rear cabin accommodation that tells everyone how good it is.

Alas there seems nobody at Broadmeadows that seems willing or able to address this issue. And despite the fact there's close to 12 months to go before the all-new Orion hits the market, we don't see things changing... The best-ever entry-level Falcon is a secret Ford Australia cannot afford to keep much longer.

I am the Stig

IIRC, there was a little boost in Fairmont Ghia sales when it received the rather handsome visual upgrades earlier this year. As the article suggests, that probably what the Falcon needs.

The ES is some seriously smokin' value though.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

It's a shame but Aussie car buyers are a vain bunch. and the eurosleek style of the BA is no longer in style. it's all about the bling now.

Chuck a skirt, some groovy headlights and a spoiler kit and away the falcon goes sales wise.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

They could probably give it the XR6 kit and absorb the costs themselves, with some slight modifications to the front end or pickup a modified Ghia bumper
    I am the Stig

But the BF doesn't have the same good looks as the BA. It looks sad. Literally. Like the car needs to go on Prozac or something.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

One thing my brother complains about with his car is a lack of individuality between models. He's Fairmont shares so much with the futura in looks.. He is thinking all the time about doing something different but is at a loss.

But the only way i can see people are not buying these special edition models is because they don't know they are available.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

ive never heard of EITHER of those models

ES sounds like awesome value but i do agree on one thing, the BA looks happy, the BF looks sad. What killed the AU? Sad boot
    The Datto will rage again...

Its all about happy and sad these days..I want an emo car
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

lol, a car thats always 1 step away from slicing its wrists?

Theres a few points there in the article that point to a positive Orion Falcon given what its going to be based on
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Kenwright/Carpoint
    Has Ford forgotten the wonderful paint accents, extra striping, two-tone colours, bumper and molding inserts, grille accents and exquisite badging that once made its runout models so special and even collector items?
    Tried but failed to recall any of these "exquisite badging" efforts on the old Ford runouts

What does remain is memories of glitzed up two-tone Fairlane Sportsmans (crass bookmaker's special) or that "extra striping" awesomeness, including on the hubcaps, for the otherwise amnesia-inducing 'X Pack' Falcon XC

But as for the current Falcon ES, it does deserve recognition as a modestly priced yet well-rounded and purposively optioned machine - about as competitive and competitive as Ford can make 'em. Falcon sales have dropped right down the toilet in recent times, desperate days once more for Ford AU

Perhaps its time for Ford to use product like the ES to revive their brand perception via a dedicated TV campaign? Eg, feature some articulate and credible race drivers who can relate with the public (Bowe or even Ingall?) to tout the product - maybe somethng like their old 'act of faith' handling ads for XC Update, if anyone remembers those ads

You dont need to go as far back as XC to see that, they regularly had Ambrose and Lowndes plugging the special edition Falcon ute's from 98-02
    I am the Stig

Well, the lack of advertising is part of the problem. The only Falcon ads I've seen in recent times have been for the Fairmont Ghia. Haven't even seen the XR6T ad recently (you know the one where the kid is trying to get slot cars to fly off the track and the XR6T won't).
    Its like Ford has just given up.
    Another problem is the perception that the Falcon is thirstier than a Commodore. Last year when I was looking around for my current car a dealer told me he couldn't sell Falcons because they used too much petrol and no one would buy one. He seemed surprised when I told him that I had easily got 10L/100km out of BA rentals (and these were four-speed autos, not ZF equipped).
    Ford really needs to advertise the economy of the Falcon a bit more.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Furthermore, the advertising is imo half baked. The multimedia photographs / media shots aren't nearly as well done and of the 'quality' of the Holden photography / multimedia pictures. They use crispy quality pictures on their website and backgrounds that really set off the car - Ford, its another story, always hated their website and use of pictures.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    Well, the lack of advertising is part of the problem. The only Falcon ads I've seen in recent times have been for the Fairmont Ghia. Haven't even seen the XR6T ad recently (you know the one where the kid is trying to get slot cars to fly off the track and the XR6T won't).
    Its like Ford has just given up.
    Another problem is the perception that the Falcon is thirstier than a Commodore. Last year when I was looking around for my current car a dealer told me he couldn't sell Falcons because they used too much petrol and no one would buy one. He seemed surprised when I told him that I had easily got 10L/100km out of BA rentals (and these were four-speed autos, not ZF equipped).
    Ford really needs to advertise the economy of the Falcon a bit more.
    My brothers BA is running at the moment so shit on fuel In the high teens and even in the 20's it's must have a problem it can't be that bad.. But i drove it last night for 40km and got the fuel from 21.2l/100 down to 13.6l/100... 70% freeway but.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Fuel economy always changes driver to driver though, i know my dad always bitched about the "shocking" fuel economy his AU2 one tonner used to get, which at his estimation was about 14L/100km. Having driven in the car with him (and quite often driven after him, extended the distance to empty) it was blindlingly obvious he had no economy sympathy.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information