Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to go mountain biking

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Steer well clear of JEEP's offroad bike range... I made the mistake of buying one and it just falls apart, the rear deraileur somehow snapped whilst riding along a flat road at around 30mph... At the momet it's being ok but I'm unable to use a fair few of my 21 gears, I'd reccomend a Scott if you're going to buy one or a Giant.
    You have a megarange rear dearailer, its no xtr but it wouldn't just snap, you didnt ram it into the spokes did you? thats the limit adjustment screw. As for gears, they are as good as the person who maintains/adjusts them, its likely that you need new cabling.
    autozine.org

I was just cycling down a road and, went over a small bump then a few secs after there was a bang and the I nearly fell off, the Sram 3.0 Rear Deraileur was just dangling
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

I worked in bike shops long enough to not believe any JRA (I as Just Riding Along) story.

There is always a reason for failure, and its almost always operator error...
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Well I've biked for a while and it's enjoyable, but if you are serious about the health side of it i would recommend jogging. The difference it makes in terms of working out the legs and keeping you in shape is insane. I go to the gym and sure it's boring for a good bit, but bring along a buddy and nothing makes you feel as good as a good work out. Plus you'll start to see the results, especially in the arms in just a few weeks and that'll keep you hooked. But don't make my initial mistake, just cause u only see it in the arms doesn't mean u should ignore the rest, cause otherwise the arms will stop growing. You have to keep it all at the same pace..

Just an idea for those who might want something else...
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Quote Originally Posted by Pinin View Post
    I have a standard Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc and it's perfect for riding on and off road, for the price anyway. Check them out. It copes with off road riding pretty well
    Hear, hear. I use one of those, and it's brilliant- I'm an amateur rider (at best ), and it's never let me down once.

I had a Land Rover before that, and it was nowhere near as good. The Specialized is an excellent blend of quality and value.

Kona's range is pretty cool, I've always been a fan of the Stinky.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    Hear, hear. I use one of those, and it's brilliant- I'm an amateur rider (at best ), and it's never let me down once.

I had a Land Rover before that, and it was nowhere near as good. The Specialized is an excellent blend of quality and value.

Kona's range is pretty cool, I've always been a fan of the Stinky.
    agreed! My first purchased bike was a hardrock - just the job at the time. Kona are real cool, just a bit too pricey and heavy for my needs. I would definately recomend the hardrock disc or an entry level rockhopper as a starter bike.
    autozine.org

Thanks for all the comments . I guess I'm going to check out a bicycle shop one of these days and maybe take a peek on ebay to see if there's anything interesting.

i love cycling! its great. a cheap product will get you nowhere because you will destroy it with out a doubt. popped tubes are common for mountain biking. i've done a bit of mountain. it's dangerous but lots of fun! i never got hurt but my bike has. as of right now, i stick to road biking. lots of fun i love it
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

well the best starting point would have to be able to determine a budget, like do you really need a 5000$ bike when you would be ok with a 700$ one?

second part, what do you really plan on riding? a mix of dirt/asphalt, then maybe a mtb/road bike hybrid would be the best thing, if you're planning on riding cross-coutry or all-mountain stuff, then a hardtail with a 80-125mm fork would be the best... Although if you plan on riding more extreme stuff then maybe you could take a look at burlier dual-suspension bikes (which are expensive though)

I've been riding for +5 years now, have worked at a bike shop and I think it has really helped me to make more conscient choices for my riding style, sometimes you're better off taking something that really fits you better than what the salesman is trying to make you buy. I know way too many people that ended up buying 22" hardrocks because the salesman said that it would be the perfect size for them even though they ride street or dirt-jumps (heck, I'm 6' 2" and I ride a 13" .243 racing hardtail and find it way too big). Another important aspect is parts choice, for a starter bike, you don't need a xtr drivetrain and hope moto brakes, a good pair of v-brakes and a simple deore derailleur will do the job perfectly...

the 2007 line of kona out of bounds hardtails seems to pack a lot of value for the price, they come with good parts, an excellent geometry and are very reliable bikes.

Thread Information