Page 43 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: What Game Are You Playing?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I thought to use to get an Xbox360 with FM3, but as I knew there will be an updated Xbox360 with the camera for that motion capture controller thighy, I should wait, even if I'm not that much into spending more than 200 € in a game console. I'm getting old I guess.
    I don't play that much, just every now and then, so I don't want to spend even 20 € on a new joypad, but if mine isn't working, it isn't possible even to trade the PS2 in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I just read what Leon said and it inspired me to post. I used to spend a huge amount of time in my life playing videogames, I was somewhere between a hardcore gamer and a casual gamer I suppose - generally pretty competent, quick on the uptake. I played all sorts of games, RPGs, FPS, strategy, PC, console whatever. I have a SNES, Gamecube (I bought it cheap for one game) Xbox, and N64. Now I don't play at all. The last game I played for any time was Civilization III on PC and it wasn't really that great - I had already played Alpha Centauri (which was better and very similar to Civ III). Off topic, Alpha Centauri is tied the highest ranked game on PC Gamer with a 98% (Half Life 2 also has a 98%).

Anyhoo, do any of you guys also feel like you're growing out of games? It seems Leon is. I never thought I would but I find they can't hold my attention. Maybe if I had a Battlefield 1942 style game I could play again, but my "new" computer is about 4-5 years old and I don't have the money or will to invest in a new one for a game I might not even like. I now spend all the time I used to spend gaming on the web and on MSN and frankly, checking UCP.

Pretty sad.
    You got the point.
    I still enjoy playing driving/racing games, I just don't feel like I should pay for them anymore. It's not simply about having free something you are supposed to pay for (so torrents and copied games) as I didn't cracked the PS2 to play non original games. It's just that the time they absorb and the "satisfaction" they give me is much lower than what it used to be, and it isn't worth so many money.
    I tried FM2 quite some times, and it's a game I'd love to play. Still, I prefer to re-play some older game like SCAR or Enthusia if I feel like I need to "drive" something. And some torrents any now and then, yes. They don't last much though.
    Now Grid is a good new game for me, but it won't last, I know.
    I used to be all nut for Devil May Cry. Got the thrid chapter in special edition last year, stopped playing it at the first difficult battle. I don't even know if it's at my place or at parents'.

If I consider what 200/250 € are worth generally, apart from a 360 with FM3, I can't honestly set for a console. Not now.

Maybe there aren't as many games I could enjoy as they used to be (or rather, I'm not interested in them anymore), so the cost of the console is all about one game. So it's simply unmoral.

Right now I'd prefer spending that exact money in a pen tablet as a gift for the GF. It would satisfy me the more, and it would be also more useful.

I guess it's exactly this, we grow up, money and fun both acquire a different role and meaning in our life.
    I still like to play games and have fun, just I'm not 15 anymore I guess.

Now I feel very sad and even older.
    Cameron, you own me a bottle of expensive wine (I don't drink beer, and I know you don't drink at all, fair enough, you can watch ).
    Wow, right on target guys. I dunno, I'm more interested into photography now than gaming. Gaming certainly is fun, but like you guys, I feel like I have more productive things to do. I've played Fallout 3, and honestly, I don't think it was all that great. The last great game I played was Okami. But yeah, I don't seem to like the shoot 'em up games anymore. I never got into Gran Theft Auto. Call of Duty was alright I guess, but I didn't think that was all that great either.

Maybe we're all getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Play it on PC, GTR Evolution, same game...doubt the result will be the same....
    I do play it on PC with my Logitech G25, it's amazing. That's why it's such a dissapointment on the 360.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

surprised you even bothered to play it on 360 then...lol
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    surprised you even bothered to play it on 360 then...lol
    I was hoping it was going to be fun. I was wrong but it didn't cost me anything.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Grand Slam Tennis on the Wii with the new Wii motion thingies.
    Getting gubbed by my daughter regularly ... she plays it nice and simple, I'm putting on the spins and swerves on ... and losing points
    Not fully decided on the MotionPlus add-ons, but I think one of them might be faulty

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Getting gubbed by my daughter regularly ... she plays it nice and simple, I'm putting on the spins and swerves on ... and losing points
    Not fully decided on the MotionPlus add-ons, but I think one of them might be faulty
    I would have liked it if Nintendo debuted with the MotionPlus from the very start.

You could dump so much money on Nintendo peripherals that it could make your head spin. It's retarded, actually.

Nintendo came out with the least powerful machine and banked on motion control as its selling point. Now the other machines have motion control now, and Nintendo will need to do a lot of catching up to do, I foresee.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I would have liked it if Nintendo debuted with the MotionPlus from the very start.

You could dump so much money on Nintendo peripherals that it could make your head spin. It's retarded, actually.

Nintendo came out with the least powerful machine and banked on motion control as its selling point. Now the other machines have motion control now, and Nintendo will need to do a lot of catching up to do, I foresee.
    i love Nintendo stuff but i have to admit that Nintendo graphics need to be up to standard with the PS3 and 360. i honestly couldn't tell a difference on the clarity of the graphics when i got Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Metroid Prime 3: Echoes.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

If the Wii had better graphics and Motion Plus from the start then it would have lost its major selling point.. the price. It needed to be cheaper in order for people to be willing to give it a go, and Nintendo didn't want to sell them at a loss like the other guys because of the gamble that releasing something new like that represented. History of course proves that they could have taken the risk, but hey.. when you have two sucessive generations of consoles that are regarded as failures in the marketplace you can be excused a little caution. I would love for there to be a WiiHD for some shiny greatness.. the rumours of its existence pop up from time to time, but it still won't be any time soon that we see a Wiiplacement. If you want shinier Wii games, look up something called Project Dolphin..

As far as the other two guy's motion control goes, from what I've seen from the demos there's a pretty major flaw with them.. you need a bunch of open space in front of your tele to take full advantage of them. There's no way I can do that in my place.. There would ways to use them without having to get off the couch I'm sure, but it does place a limitation on what's possible. Also neither of them seem to have pointing at things, they're both more about position tracking than motion tracking. Not sure that's what the marketplace wants, but we shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Nintendo didn't want to sell them at a loss like the other guys because of the gamble that releasing something new like that represented.
    Its not that they didn't want to but its more that they can't because they don't have enormous elecrtonic or software divisions like Microsoft and Sony do, especially with how the gamecube traveled over its lifetime (made money but small install base). It would be far too risky for them to carry large losses for a year or too like Microsofts and sonys gaming divisions are at the moment.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Me thinks the graphics of the Nintendo is one of the reasons people buy it, they like it.
    If you want uber-OMG-it'z freaking real-graphics, then take one of the other two, upon personal taste.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I'm not sure it's a selling point so much as it's just not something to be concerned about. Much of the install base probably wouldn't know what they're missing out on. Also Nintento aren't all that hard up for cash, remember the DS is selling by the truckload.. something like 50% of households in Japan own a DS. The portable division pretty much got them through the N64 and GC years. But yes, carrying a loss on the scale that they'd have after selling as many Wiis as they have one would have been difficult...

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    i love Nintendo stuff but i have to admit that Nintendo graphics need to be up to standard with the PS3 and 360. i honestly couldn't tell a difference on the clarity of the graphics when i got Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Metroid Prime 3: Echoes.
    Yeah, I honestly can't find anything I like about the Wii. Thank god buying the Wii was not my idea- it was my father's.

If the Wii had better graphics and Motion Plus from the start then it would have lost its major selling point.. the price. It needed to be cheaper in order for people to be willing to give it a go, and Nintendo didn't want to sell them at a loss like the other guys because of the gamble that releasing something new like that represented. History of course proves that they could have taken the risk, but hey.. when you have two sucessive generations of consoles that are regarded as failures in the marketplace you can be excused a little caution. I would love for there to be a WiiHD for some shiny greatness.. the rumours of its existence pop up from time to time, but it still won't be any time soon that we see a Wiiplacement. If you want shinier Wii games, look up something called Project Dolphin..

As far as the other two guy's motion control goes, from what I've seen from the demos there's a pretty major flaw with them.. you need a bunch of open space in front of your tele to take full advantage of them. There's no way I can do that in my place.. There would ways to use them without having to get off the couch I'm sure, but it does place a limitation on what's possible. Also neither of them seem to have pointing at things, they're both more about position tracking than motion tracking. Not sure that's what the marketplace wants, but we shall see...
    You're right about the open space thing- but I don't think developing Sony or Microsoft's own versions of the Wiimote should be all that hard. I mean, Sony already has a motion control thingy in the controller.

Me thinks the graphics of the Nintendo is one of the reasons people buy it, they like it.
    If you want uber-OMG-it'z freaking real-graphics, then take one of the other two, upon personal taste.
    I guess, but Nintendo has always marketed it as the only one with full motion. Now games that would have been only on Nintendo, such as the sports ones and some of the casual games can easily go onto the other platforms.

I'm not sure it's a selling point so much as it's just not something to be concerned about. Much of the install base probably wouldn't know what they're missing out on. Also Nintento aren't all that hard up for cash, remember the DS is selling by the truckload.. something like 50% of households in Japan own a DS. The portable division pretty much got them through the N64 and GC years. But yes, carrying a loss on the scale that they'd have after selling as many Wiis as they have one would have been difficult...
    The N64 did fairly well back then.

I think Nintendo pushing out so much shovelware for casual gamers is really annoying. I mean, moving into other markets is perfectly acceptable, but forgetting your original fanbase is unacceptable.

Sigh. I can always complain.

The Shovelware phenominon is painful, but that is much more a fault of the third parties than Nintendo. They don't seem to be able to sell the good games on the system, be it a failure of the marketeers or just a lack of a market for them I'm not sure. As for easily porting the motion games, I'm not so sure.. ever played PES or FIFA 09 on Wii? The control is all pointer based.. not sure if that'd translate well, to Natal especially.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    putting the graphics aside, i love the Wii and Nintendo no matter what. i like how they have their own characters and what not, or mascots as some say they are. but i find that Nintendo is more aimed at younger ones as they have the Super Mario games. i have played Super Mario Galaxy and its a game definetly aimed at the young uns. but other than that, the game was magnificent. the physics were just amazing as you went from mini planet to mini planet and galaxy and what not. anyways, as for the Playstation and the Xbox franchise, its more of an adult thing. i see more mature rated games and what not on the two consoles. but the main reason why i wanted a Wii becuase i've been playing Nintendo since i was 6 years old and im not going to stray away thats for sure. my first game was the Donkey Kong Country trilogy which upon i still own and will never sell. as for the Wii, if you really want a " pointer " based game, go for the totally awesome and epic game Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

The Shovelware phenominon is painful, but that is much more a fault of the third parties than Nintendo. They don't seem to be able to sell the good games on the system, be it a failure of the marketeers or just a lack of a market for them I'm not sure. As for easily porting the motion games, I'm not so sure.. ever played PES or FIFA 09 on Wii? The control is all pointer based.. not sure if that'd translate well, to Natal especially.
    Nope, I haven't played any of them. I guess with the Natal you have to have some games with buttons. I don't see how you can get around not having any buttons at all. Pause and select will be hard to replicate with hand gestures. And I'm not at all sure how they're going to implement motion controls with the PS3.

The Wii is a very expensive paperweight at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    putting the graphics aside, i love the Wii and Nintendo no matter what. i like how they have their own characters and what not, or mascots as some say they are. but i find that Nintendo is more aimed at younger ones as they have the Super Mario games. i have played Super Mario Galaxy and its a game definetly aimed at the young uns. but other than that, the game was magnificent. the physics were just amazing as you went from mini planet to mini planet and galaxy and what not. anyways, as for the Playstation and the Xbox franchise, its more of an adult thing. i see more mature rated games and what not on the two consoles. but the main reason why i wanted a Wii becuase i've been playing Nintendo since i was 6 years old and im not going to stray away thats for sure. my first game was the Donkey Kong Country trilogy which upon i still own and will never sell. as for the Wii, if you really want a " pointer " based game, go for the totally awesome and epic game Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
    You know, I had wanted to stay with Nintendo until my dad got me a PS2 against my wishes. I had wanted a Gamecube. I'm glad he forced a PS2 on me. I grew with it well, as opposed to the Gamecube, which had its good games, but I didn't think it had good enough games for it. I don't think Nintendo will have my business for a while unless something changes with their strategy.

Thread Information