Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two VXR8 Review (new)

Two VXR8 Review (new)

Carmagazine VXR8 Review
    Ben Barry

That’s one hell of a Vauxhall you've got there...

-Re-badged as the VXR8, and wearing a barely believable £35,105 price tag, this 411bhp monster will terrorise British roads come mid-June.

-The VXR8 is a 417bhp thug of a car, delivering the kind of brutal acceleration that gives your adrenal gland a thorough workout. It will hit 60mph in just under five seconds, the Corvette-sourced engine spitting out an urgent hammering soundtrack as the big Vauxhall rockets its way towards its as-yet-unproven top speed. We reckon it should top out at 170mph. That’s speed with a capital S.

-In-gear go is just as vicious, the VXR8 catapulting forward at the slightest hint of throttle. And the brakes – the largest, at 365mm, ever fitted to a production Vauxhall – are well up to the job of matching the engine, delivering instant and reassuringly fade-free deceleration with the lightest brush of the centre pedal. Stand on them hard at 62mph and, claims Vauxhall, you’ll stop in 36 metres – three metres sooner than an M5.

-During the car’s early development, Holden singled out the E39 BMW 528i as the car to beat, and you can certainly feel the Bimmer’s influence. The VXR8 feels agile and chuckable and it can be flung into and out of corners with an engaging wrist-flick action. And it excels as a drift machine.

-The VXR8 feels very Australian – big, comfortable and an effortless high-speed cruiser. Burbling along the national limit in sixth gear with just 2000rpm dialled up, the Vauxhall feels incredibly refined and composed with an inaudible engine note, the barest whisper of wind rustle and only a faint thrum from the 275-section rubber.

-The VXR’s chassis feels strong and robust, and the suspension is supple enough to sponge away all but the largest thumps and bumps.

-Bluntly put, the VXR8 is a lesson in badge engineering. Not one single Holden component will filter through to any other model in the current Vauxhall range, but at this price-to-power ratio, you have to ask whether you really give a Castlemain XXXX?

-With the exception of Chrysler’s SRT8 - £39,000 and 425bhp – there’s little out there that delivers such a lot for so little. And with only 350 arriving here each year, it’ll be pretty exclusive too. Think everyman’s M5 and you’re on the nose.

-But the best thing about the VXR8 is that it’s an absolute hoot to punt hard. And it’s been far too long since you could say that of a four-door Vauxhall.

[img]http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/article_images/Vauxhall_VXR8_3_560px.jpg[img]

and

Vauxhall VXR8

What's a VXR8 I hear you ask? An over-the-top V8 performance Vauxhall from down-under for just £35K

Henry Catchpole

From: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...hall_vxr8.html

-It’s a clever design though, because the stubby overhangs shrink what is actually a very large car. The VXR8 looks narrow too, yet get inside and you’ve got as much elbow- and leg-room as in a 7-series or S-class. The interior has clearly taken ‘inspiration’ from Audi in the design of its switchgear. Even the key is very flattering to the designers in Ingolstadt.

- As you begin to attack a road rather than just cruise, the VXR8 instantly does a very impressive trick; it seems to shed half its bulk and shrink around you. The steering is key to this. It’s wonderfully precise and accurate, giving you real confidence in the front end, which tacks into corners with remarkably little inertia given that there’s a whacking great bent-eight in front of you. The steering is a touch light once on lock but there’s plenty of feel for what the Bridgestones RE050s are coping with.

-A six-speed auto is also available, which Vauxhall hopes will further broaden the appeal of its new flagship over the Monaro. It’s smooth-acting and only dents the 0-60 time by a tenth.

-Cliffs are a constant presence on the Great Ocean Road, either providing a huge unyielding red barrier to wipe out on or a huge precipice to drop off. Confidence-inspiring brakes are a must. Happily, at 365mm front and 360mm rear, the VXR8’s vented discs are the biggest ever fitted to a production Vauxhall. Produced by AP Racing, the pads of the four-piston callipers have the same swept area as the optional six-piston items on the Monaro. They need a little heat in them but never once grumbled in 20 minutes of wiping chunks of speed from 1800kg of hard-charging Vauxhall. They look good too, amply filling the 19in alloys.

-Given the somewhat narrow parameters of the road, it’s also amazing how friendly the VXR8 is. It eats straights alarmingly quickly, but when you arrive at the corners you never worry about the fact you’re hustling and sliding nearly two tons of car.

-Barrel-in on the limit and the front will comfortingly push a little to let you know where you are, but after that it’s up to you. You can make the car flow, shimmying across the surface through direction changes, or if the chance is there you can light up the rears and indulge in a chassis that’s wonderfully easy to power-slide. It’s fluid, poised and predictable, reminiscent of BMW’s best, and gives you the confidence to really grab it by the scruff of the neck.

-So who is the VXR8 going to appeal to? Well, those Monaro owners that aren’t hell-bent on having a coupe will love the new car and Vauxhall is also hoping to tempt Impreza and Evo owners into something a little different. With the option of an automatic it may even lure the odd AMG owner.

-To be honest, a £35K car of this size and practicality, with this much character, that’s this easy to powerslide, shouldn’t have much trouble selling. I reckon even if Holden sent every car over here with a replica of the Ashes mounted on the dashboard, us Pommie b*****ds would still buy it.

its awful in blue but great in red or silver

there's a tad too much plastic on the front the though
    preformance is great

I...want...one

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    its awful in blue
    That powerslide shot doesnt do it any favours either.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    I...want...one
    Damn, we want one too...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Excellent. Just as I turn 26, there'll be plenty to pick up for peanuts. A shame petrol will be £20 a litre...

35,000 pounds is alot though...an STi would be half the price here...In fact you could probably get a nice E46 M3...

It's not when you compare it to the £60,000 BMW M5, which is the main rival of the car. However, an Impreza STi is around £30,000 here for the Prodrive model, and it wouldn't be as adaptable to the situation as the big Vauxhall. Plus, where's the octopot burble from the Scoob?

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    It's not when you compare it to the £60,000 BMW M5, which is the main rival of the car. However, an Impreza STi is around £30,000 here for the Prodrive model, and it wouldn't be as adaptable to the situation as the big Vauxhall. Plus, where's the octopot burble from the Scoob?
    Excactly, and it has 414bhp. It's a bloody bargain.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    STis here are 45,000 Canadian, at least last time I checked. 35,000 pounds would be close to 90,000 Canadian...maybe more...

But then again the prices are different in England so I guess it's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    STis here are 45,000 Canadian, at least last time I checked. 35,000 pounds would be close to 90,000 Canadian...maybe more...

But then again the prices are different in England so I guess it's a different story.
    You'd be better comparing what a G8 will cost in Canada.
    Visca Catalunya!

We pay over the odds for everything...

£35,000 here would get you:
    Audi A6 Avant 2.7TDI Quattro
    Mercedes E280CDI Estate
    Chysler Crossfire
    2nd hand Audi RS6 Avant

yet you on the other side of the pond can have a brand spanking new, fully loaded Ford Mustang GT for the equivalent of £14k...

But that VXR8 looks fantastic and is a steal for £35,000 but question is, would you pay that for a Vauxhall?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    but question is, would you pay that for a Vauxhall?
    Only you could ask that sort of question...
    Visca Catalunya!

Actually, that was my Dad's question, I say I would, where else would you get that power and a V8 for that Money unless importing?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Actually, that was my Dad's question, I say I would, where else would you get that power and a V8 for that Money unless importing?
    I can't believe you'd buy this...
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information