Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pushing and shoving ok, NASCAR says

Pushing and shoving ok, NASCAR says

Ecclestone and Mosley should take note: a sanctioning body that rules based on entertainment, what a weird thought that must be.

From Autosport...

"Juan Pablo Montoya and Kevin Harvick will not be penalized by NASCAR following their shoving incident at Watkins Glen, as autosport.com predicted last Sunday.

NASCAR Vice President Jim Hunter has confirmed that the incident will not be punished, saying instead that the episode was something the fans liked and that no real harm was done by neither driver.

"I think our fans get a big kick out of incidents that happen like Kevin Harvick and Juan Pablo Montoya doing their toe dancing and helmet grabbing after the incident on the track. Actually, I thought it was pretty funny," Hunter said.

"Most old football players would tell you that you never take your helmet off, and I noticed that neither one of them took off their helmets or HANS Devices. That was raw emotion.

By the way, I happen to know the person who is writing NASCAR news for Autosport, and he told me its now the third most read section in their website after F1 and MotoGP.
    Zag when they Zig

The South like their entertainment raw and violent. Figures.

Sorry, I couldn't help but take a swipe at rednecks.

Rubbin is racing, isn't it harry?

Not surprising from the backwards south. NASCAR is probably the most unsporting "sport" ever, next to basketball and football...

Well Nascar is in a way the North American Touring car championship. It's not that suprising that it has more action than F1. WTCC does too.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    Not surprising from the backwards south. NASCAR is probably the most unsporting "sport" ever, next to basketball and football...
    Right.. What would you consider a 'sport', backgammon?

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Next they'll be dressing in themed costumes and bashing each other with chairs.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

It's just another example of simplistic "oh it's nascar, it must teh sux0r" theory from UCP. i have to say i'm not happy about it.

What about BTCC in the early 1990's? that was a f**king demo derby, but the racing became freakin awesome.

god knows the only reason most people watch NASCAR anyway is to see the accidents anyway.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    god knows the only reason most people watch NASCAR anyway is to see the accidents anyway.
    Granted, but at least act civilized to cover an obvious fact... The Vice President of NASCAR making such a statement is absolutely ridiculous.

i suppose he sees no reason to continue the ruse of "racing".

The link between the old world coliseum and new world oval is uncanny.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    The Vice President of NASCAR making such a statement is absolutely ridiculous.
    On the other hand I think it's hilarious and a refreshing way to handle things. Determining what the "clients" want and acting upon it is what drives most succesfull business around the world.

Totally opposed to Bernie Ecclestone's attitude, who thinks the perfect Grand Prix would be a VIP only race at Paul Ricard, where there are no grandstands and thus there would be no spectators. Just to think about that gives me the creeps.
    Zag when they Zig

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    It's just another example of simplistic "oh it's nascar, it must teh sux0r" theory from UCP.
    You think there's a chance so many people who are actually into cars hate it is because it's crappy? :P

I appreciate certain aspects of it. The cars are interesting pieces of machinery, and despite what it looks like, its not easy for the drivers.

I, however dislike more than I like. It is BORING to watch. Like you said, people only watch it for the accidents, because the actual race is about as entertaining as watching paint peel.

It's ALL about advertising. The cars are made to look like production models for sales, but they barely have anything in common with them. it's a freaking lie. The races on television show more product placement and labels than racing. Its dramatized like WWF, including yellow flags to get the cars to bunch up instead of leaving the positions due to skill, and now they'll be encouraged to get in arguments to build dramatic tension like WWF. oooh, he hates that guy, I gotta watch to see if he rams him or something!

Its all bullshit designed to draw the almighty consumer dollar. My consumer dollar only goes to things that entertain me. Oh yeah, and, like cowboy boots, I want to distance myself from the type of people who associate with the sport as much as possible. That doesn't help.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

find me any form of racing without advertising all over the car and i'll give you a +1.

calling it boring is fine, just don't do it unless you've actually had experience with the racing.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    You think there's a chance so many people who are actually into cars hate it is because it's crappy? :P
    Can you define "actually into cars". If most people on this site call themselves car guys and think they are into cars, they are lying to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post

I appreciate certain aspects of it. The cars are interesting pieces of machinery, and despite what it looks like, its not easy for the drivers.

Its all bullshit designed to draw the almighty consumer dollar. My consumer dollar only goes to things that entertain me. Oh yeah, and, like cowboy boots, I want to distance myself from the type of people who associate with the sport as much as possible. That doesn't help.
    I agree with you. It used to be really stock car racing when it first came out. In the beginning the whole point of NASCAR was that the car you saw racing was the same car that you saw in the showroom. Even then they modified the cars a lot. Now, the cars are basically steel tubing with huge V-8 engines, 1 passenger cars, no doors and no power windows with stickers to suggest that it has some resemblance to the road car. I'd like to buy one of those from my Ford dealership.

It truly is boring.

Thread Information