Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Audi RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Torque doesn't sell cars ...
    Performance figures do, though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

that thing weighs over 2 tonnes, I'll take an rs2 over this any day
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

power sells cars, torque wins races.

Looks not so great. id have it if someone gave it to me but wouldnt be top of list to fork out the big $$$ for.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think (haven't researched it exactly) that VAG cars are comparatively heavier than its rivals. Especially japanese cars. And anyway despite making luxury cars they should concentrate on losing weight, that way cars would be faster and more frugal and they wouldn't need such big and powerful engines to have similar levels of performance.

Look at Jaguar. In my opinion this should be the way to go.
    I think German cars in general are heavier than most of their counterparts.

However, they make very fine automobiles whether you want fast and luxurious or you just want something that is a full out sports car. Jaguars are good cars, but in no way do they compare to what Audi, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and BMW put out there.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In View Post
    I think German cars in general are heavier than most of their counterparts.

However, they make very fine automobiles whether you want fast and luxurious or you just want something that is a full out sports car. Jaguars are good cars, but in no way do they compare to what Audi, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and BMW put out there.
    I have to agree. An XK is just so much better than those.
    Visca Catalunya!

id certainly like to have a go in it....
    note to self
    clones are people too
    he who laughs last thinks slowest
    every calendars days are numbered
    constipated people don't give a crap
    help iv'e fallen asleep and i cant wake up!

More pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

From Audi Deutschland > Startseite
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

Yes, which leads me to believe that the engine is electronically limited. And if you're going to engineer such a powerhouse, why not spend another 50p in the transmission? Either that or don't make the engine so performant in the first place.
    Doubt it, Audi probably just thought 580hp was plenty. You don't electronically limit engines, you just don't tune them as highly. Oh and with torque figures like that, it's a good chance that dropping a couple of hundred dollars on a tune on a dyno will have it running a shitload more.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Doubt it, Audi probably just thought 580hp was plenty. You don't electronically limit engines, you just don't tune them as highly. Oh and with torque figures like that, it's a good chance that dropping a couple of hundred dollars on a tune on a dyno will have it running a shitload more.
    Well apparently the old RS6 was already limited because the engine would broke the gearbox to pieces. And I think this was also the case with the Continental GT. Also Mercedes-Benz did something similar with their twin turbo 6-litre V12.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with this one.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well apparently the old RS6 was already limited because the engine would broke the gearbox to pieces. And I think this was also the case with the Continental GT. Also Mercedes-Benz did something similar with their twin turbo 6-litre V12.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with this one.
    The old RS6 definately wasn't limited, the stage 4 (IIRC) MTM kit was hitting ~650hp without any gearbox mods. The Conti GT would've been fine as well. As for the Merc, that's a different story, seeing as though it was hitting 3-400nm more than either the Conti or RS6. Auto boxes are very strong, they are often used in high-torque engines rather than a manual as a clutch that could handle the torque an auto-box + torque-convertor could deal with would be completely horrible for a regular road-car.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Im with Ferrer on the torque limiting nature of these engines. Also do not get confused between the nature of a torque curve in a true diretly injected engine and that of an engine whose torque curve has been truncated by the ecu. The heteregenous mixture control in a DI petrol means that there is no throttle butterfly, full air intake volume occurs across the entire rev range, thus increasing torque (ill shut up now, see * for more) - just like a diesel. And would you consider the 335i engines torque curve artificially truncated even though max torque occurs at 1300rpm (or something like that)?

* i think this is right: Torque is a close function of mean effective pressure (mep). mep is the average cylinder pressure during one cycle (hence not directly rpm dependant). So if at all rpm there is a significant proprtion of maximum mixture volume in the combustion chamber, mep will be higher than a comparable normal indirectly injected throttled petrol engine.
    Last edited by jediali; 09-05-2007 at 10:10 AM.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Torque doesn't sell cars ...
    Amen,

I really like the looks of this car, however, the silver bars running across the roof are not appealing to me.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

I prefer the old RS6, but this is still jolly nice. More like 610bhp adding in the usual extra bhp's Audi engines tend to have over what is stated.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

i really like the look of it, it's going to be huge on the road, thoose wheel arches are very cool!
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Thread Information