Thread: Clarkson escapes driving ban

Clarkson escapes driving ban

from msn.co.uk

By Ian Dickson
    September 07 2007
    Jeremy Clarkson has escaped a driving ban after being accused of travelling at 82mph in a 50mph zone.

The Top Gear star was acquitted of the motoring offence after lawyer Nick Freeman, dubbed ‘Mr Loophole’ for helping a string of celebrities escape motoring conviction, intervened.

In Clarkson’s defence, Freeman said the case was ‘fatally flawed’ because Alfa Romeo could provide no evidence that it was Clarkson at the wheel of the Brera 3.2 V6 press car when it was caught on the A40 in Ruislip, west London, on October 16 last year.

Speaking outside the City of London Magistrates’ Court, Freeman said: "The summons was fatally flawed. They (Alfa Romeo) did not have any information as to who the driver was. They only had information as to who the car was loaned to. The form wasn't completed correctly. If someone had looked at this process properly it would never have come to court."

Crown Prosecution Service lawyer Michael Atkinson asked to be excused to make a phone call following an animated conversation with Nick. He returned later and told the court: "No evidence is to be offered in relation to the case." Chairman of the Bench John Newgas then dismissed the case.

Jeanette Miller, president of the Association of Motor Offence Lawyers and senior partner of Geoffrey Miller Solicitors, said: “Most magistrates would consider banning him for 56-days due to the level of speed involved, or in rare cases six points and a £1,000 fine.”

Of course, this is not the first time Clarkson has courted controversy. In July, during filming for Top Gear, the show’s presenters were accused by critics of harming the protected Makgadikgadi salt plains in Botswana, while Clarkson’s views on driving can be extreme; he once extolled the virtues of driving ‘fast and recklessly’ through Lincolnshire because it is so boring.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

cant wait for season 10 of top gear, i hear they had a boat-car thing again
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Sometimes boring old men can't seem to deal with men of similar age that want to actually have fun. Clarkson is a legend.

Lucky bastard.
    I don't like him so I'm sorry he didn't have pay for his excess. The speed wasn't obscene though.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Clarkson for PM.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

The only interesting aspect of this piece news is that Alfa Romeos are officially fast. And that their PR department is as good as their dealer network. Or something.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Clarkson for PM.
    Or first lady.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

k it talks about the speed he was going like he had just gone into hyper-speed. I wanna know how fast he was actually going.
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Ugh. When will they start picking up real criminals? I got done for doing the massive crime of 36mph in a 30 limit at 2 a.m., courtesy of a speed camera hidden behind a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy View Post
    k it talks about the speed he was going like he had just gone into hyper-speed. I wanna know how fast he was actually going.
    82mph in a 50 like it says in the acticle...

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    Ugh. When will they start picking up real criminals? I got done for doing the massive crime of 36mph in a 30 limit at 2 a.m., courtesy of a speed camera hidden behind a tree.
    And those damn things take not one picture, but two

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Correct..! I want the photos. I want something for my £60 (well, it's pending- I don't know what's happening yet. Probably £60 + 3 points on the license).

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    My local photo shop gives me second prints for the same price as well !!!

Now lets see if i can get out of my 60, written up as 59, mph in a 40. Apparently if you plead not guilty and go to court about it the cops show up about 1% of the time and its usually thrown out...

Thread Information