Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why girls are not into cars???

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    coz , lacking dicks, they don't need to over-compensate
    that's not fair, but i don't need to compensate
    the day i will buy a SUV is still too far
    and, some girls need to compensate...maybe it is not about dimension, but ability
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    of course, my question is about what they like in particular about cars, because the majority of girls don't like cars. a man likes the feel of power, the control of the car at the edge, while i expect a girl is more into the style and on the spirit of a car. it is more an artistic point of view, and i like it.
    A good question Leon and yes its a pity there are not more girls to share our 'passion' of cars in UCP

In my experience and speaking in general terms, I see what you do. Without trying to be sexist it seems to me that females are not so much attracted to cars by their capabilities (power, at the edge, etc) but by what cars represent to them - which first and foremost is independance. And secondly maybe a place to make their home? Their nest

Not the appreciation in artful design of mechanical devices like intake manifolds or forged suspension components. Little interest in the view of the engine bay or how this view is presented to the proud male owner

But much interest from women in fuss-free operation and absolute dependability. Of soft interiors nicely presented in fashionable style, with special places to put their purse and cosmetics and the incredible mass of 'lifestyle' bits and pieces women accumulate in their cars

For example, I can look for hours at the special curve in a bumper bar or the design and function of an exhaust system. I love how my car drifts into oversteer at its handling limit, and appreciate its internal structural - not just external shape or fabric trim

But my wife very much likes a certain new car because it has 30 different storage compartments in its interior. She can sit up high and feel in control. And because it is a brand of car she trusts, as she has had two previous cars of this brand which proved very reliable and trustworthy and fuss-free for her, with no demands of mechanical involvement. She didn't ever need to check the oil or worry if they would start or were running ok. So to her that new car represents a further contunuation of independance, security, convenience, removal of worry, and yes an individual nest for her own female self

One other thing I have noticed: Men by nature usually will act more decisively than women. If their car is 'acting up' they will either simply think 'bugger it!' and then go and get it fixed, or happily ignore the problem and accept it and still get by. A non-working car is not haunted or 'poisoned goods' that requires exorcism for a new one - it just needs repair

But many women motorists tend to either not worry when things are going well - or procrastinate, fret and worry when they aren't. They tend to not investigate or understand the problem, and also much delay fixing it. So there is often this long period of time where they hate their car because it's not working right and they don't understand why, which causes them frustration and worry. They fell helpless and really hate this. Women are really emotional beings, and feel their emotions much more than males

So eventually cars come to represent a great source of angst. Because cars are confusing and out of their control. They only like them when they work but absolutely hate them when they don't (because of what that represents, ie independance etc) but cars break down for 'no reason'. They underestimate their complexity because refrigerators never need a tuneup. And when they do try to get their car fixed they know they will get ripped off to the max (by men btw) and usually do. A poisoned chalice

But blokes like you and me are able to look at their broken-down cars and still like them, and still see that artful curve in the bumper
    Last edited by nota; 11-09-2007 at 03:31 PM.

Right now in sociology we are studying what the genetic differences between guys and girls and whether or not stereotypes are true. Now obviously not all are true but some do have reasons for them. Men have an attraction towards mechanics and the way we think is also more geared to problem solving and mechanics therefore are attraction to cars. So there is my go at this thread and if I was a sociologist then I might be able to help more but I am not even close .

NOTA, you are damn right.
    that's the point, for a woman, a girl, a chick, whatever thay like, is a manifest of their indipendence, and a voyaging storage, of course. technical stuff are out of the equation, and even the artful curve, it is a way to set them position on the road. this should be why often they buy cars that are bigger than what they need (we do it for compensation, it seems...) because in this way they can earn some respect from male drivers who are saying "f=====g b===h get out of my way".
    of course we don't pay attention to teh storage compartments of our car, i don't even know if i know them all, beacuse when i drive i'm focused on driving, and not just to arrive at my destination.
    but this is not a way to identify women, because a lot of men think about their cars "start, run economically, and don't give me problems", but those are not men of this forums...
    in the same way, a woman interested in cars are looking to something else than reliability (without been stupid of course) or fashionable style, and looks at the essence of the car, the idea behind the car and what inspired its shape. i knew a girl ay university who is becoming very interested into cars, but she discovered this passion since some years, while i started my interest in 1994 with Senna's fatal crash for example, because she thought it was a sort of tabu for girls, something like boys play with hotwheels and girls with barbie. but now she likes cars, even if in a different way from men. she is of course attracted by the acceleration of a ferrari, but, even in something more. this, in the end, is not very different from what the 75% of forums' members are. they are boys, or men, but looking into cars only from the specs point of view, so a good car is a good one if it goes 0-60 under 5 seconds or other stupid ideas.
    what i am saying is that a girl interested about cars is very similar to true car enthusiast boy. because she doesn't need to shut down her hormonal side before to speak.
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 11-09-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifreak013 View Post
    Right now in sociology we are studying what the genetic differences between guys and girls and whether or not stereotypes are true. Now obviously not all are true but some do have reasons for them. Men have an attraction towards mechanics and the way we think is also more geared to problem solving and mechanics therefore are attraction to cars. So there is my go at this thread and if I was a sociologist then I might be able to help more but I am not even close .
    what we call stereotypes could be the simple results of sexual division of what men and women used to do some time ago. the first car of our family was bought and driven by our granpa(don't think about money), and not beacuse they were sexist, but because of former stereotypes. i cannot believe a woman could not like a car like a man, (homo sapiens, of course). it is like to say a man couldn't like fashion, unless he is gay. this sounds stupid.

I can see that nota is going to be flamed as a sexist in .0005 seconds.

I see lots of truths in your post. The only problem I see is the reliability thing. Who doesn't like reliability or being fuss free? In fact, men love not to be fussed by women.

The same with cars.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I see lots of truths in your post. The only problem I see is the reliability thing. Who doesn't like reliability or being fuss free? In fact, men love not to be fussed by women.

The same with cars.
    holy words fellow!

reliability is a good thing, of course, but a man/woman who knows what a car is and how it works is not obsessioned by fuss, because he knows it could happen, while a lot of woman/man compares the car to a refrigerator, it is broken only when they decide it time to change it

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I can see that nota is going to be flamed as a sexist in .0005 seconds.
    Yes, even though we've established that there are almost no girl members on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Yes, even though we've established that there are almost no girl members on the forums.
    this ins't a thing to be proud of.....
    OMG, we are like nerds!
    i was hoping my thread could attract some girl to discuss and give us her point of view, but this sounds like a proof there are no girls out there...

why girls are not into cars???
    probably because men fantasise about being the ultimate male. Owning the perfect woman, having the perfect car, and ultimately being the ultimate male

Cars are machines. Machines = power. Power = all a man wants

Whereas girls want to be the prettiest women. Best mums etc. Generally the opposite from what men fantasise about from a young age.

there are plenty of girls at trackdays. Enough, in fact, to book the track out for all girl track days. so it's not like girls aren't interested, it's more you guys aren't looking/girls don't do engineering because it's boring

although i agree a lot of girls look for only two things in cars : A) is it a convertible (why? i asked and some didn't even know why they liked convertibles), and B) is it shiny
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It's rather strange, because there's a lot more girls into bikes (not just looking at them, riding, tinkering with, drooling over fancy MVs etc).
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I know a few that race, but other than that they don't work on the cars. Working on cars= dirty, girls don't like to get dirty.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    there are plenty of girls at trackdays. Enough, in fact, to book the track out for all girl track days. so it's not like girls aren't interested, it's more you guys aren't looking/girls don't do engineering because it's boring
    engineering is far from being boring. it is difficult, and it is different. and, it is what allow you to have a car, or a refrigerator, if you like them.
    i don't say anything like "all girls don't like cars" because it is false, i am trying to understand what is their approach to cars.
    then, a car is all about power only if you like to see just the engine and the specs. in this case you are not the kind of man should help me in my little investigation. while we should all go for airplanes, much more power....

engineering is far from being boring. it is difficult, and it is different. and, it is what allow you to have a car, or a refrigerator, if you like them.
    doesn't change the fact that girls do find it boring - not the difficulty either, there are plenty in other difficult courses, but they just find it dull.
    i don't say anything like "all girls don't like cars" because it is false, i am trying to understand what is their approach to cars.
    i agree with johnny, the girls i know that are into cars, appreciate bits of engineering like intake design etc etc, but don't really like to do much of the in depth dirty work themselves.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information