Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commercial showing teenagers driving deemed too offensive

Commercial showing teenagers driving deemed too offensive

McDonald's ad made a meal of driving safety

Christine Sams
    December 2, 2007

A McDONALD'S advertisement showing a carload of male teenagers ordering a drive-through meal is off the air after an investigation by an industry watchdog.

The advertisement, which shows a P-plater who drives his friends to the fast food restaurant after getting his licence, will not be screened again following claims it promoted unsafe driving.

After airing between November 4 and 12 it was investigated by the Advertising Standards Bureau.

"I think it was one of the most complained about for the month,"Advertising Standards Bureau chief executive officer Fiona Jolly said.

"The complaints made about this ad were that it depicted young boys driving in a manner that wasn't safe. The board noted that a carload of kids in the middle of the day isn't illegal but the board felt that the depiction of the kids really was contrary to all the public safety messages that are out there at the moment to young men on safe driving and safe behaviour in cars. They really felt that this was an ad that did breach the code."

A McDonald's spokeswoman said it was a short-run campaign, with the advertisement only scheduled to screen between those dates in November.

But it will never air again because of the ruling. McDonald's voluntarily follows the code of ethics set by the standards bureau.

In NSW it is illegal for P-platers to carry more than one peer-aged passenger between 11pm and 5am. The McDonald's campaign shows the carload of teenage boys in daylight, but the complaints flowed in to the Advertising Standards Bureau.

"We are killing more people every year on our roads yet McDonald's is promoting having fun behind the wheel, regardless if you can drive with any degree of real experience and confidence. It is just sending the absolute wrong message to our youth," wrote one complainant.

Another said: "I am appalled … I feel this ad should never have been allowed to go to air."

In defence of its advertisement, McDonald's filed a written submission that detailed its research for the campaign. "We also deliberately included a scene within the commercial where the mother voices 'Be careful' to her son upon handing her keys to him," said the McDonald's submission.

The Advertising Standards Bureau ruled the advertisement breached Section 2.6 of the Advertisers Code, because it contradicted prevailing community standards of health and safety.

anything promoting McDonalds should be banned
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

An open letter to the "Advertising Standards Bureau."

Dear Sirs-
    Shut up, Shut Up, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UPSHHHUUUUTTT UUUUUUUPPPP!!!!!

Please make a not of it, you s@%&t-storms...

-B

Ridiculous.

OMFG
    So "promoting fun" is considered bad ?
    How about promoting crass capitalism and evil food ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

And absolutrly useless organizations with nothing better to do...

Thats funny. Back in my day 2 permits made a license.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Anything that encourages eating McDonald's should be banned. Ick.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I say ban it. Not because of the bad driving, just because it's a ****ing horrible ad. Absolutely and utterly shit.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

^ Clarity, in an otherwise insane world.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Oh my dear God no, fun behind the wheel!? What a terrible thing to even think of, I hope they sentence the commercials makers to deaTH!!!1!

But seriously, I can't even express my thoughts on the censored, babied, nanny state of today's society without resorting to a long-winded rant full of swearing and anger. Do people seriously get offended this easily, and over analyze to this degree? How damn bored can you be? Seriously, people should learn how to raise their own children and stop canceling everything containing remote traces of potentially offensive material. I want to drive all over these people's front lawns, unlicensed, in a powerful car with a sign that says "Death to Children" on the roof.

/rant
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

I love all the overreacting and political correctness in this day and age...

Prime example: The banning of Santa's in Sydney from saying "Ho, ho, ho!" at the airport to travelers, because it is American slang for wh0re. Honestly, who cares? It's a Christmas thing. Common sense people!

I understand where they are coming from but its just ridiculous...

Y'know, there was a Corvette commercial that was banned because some kid was dreaming about driving it and was driving it in a fantasy. Apparently that made some future Darwin candidate want to try that.

Or that woman who bitched about how the Honda Accord/Toyota Camry commercials encouraged dangerous driving to teenagers.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information