Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tata new owner of Jaguar and Land Rover

Tata new owner of Jaguar and Land Rover

Ford to tell Jag and Land Rover workers first

Dec 21 2007

The Christmas break has delayed the formal announcement of Tata Motor's £1 billion takeover of Jaguar and Land Rover.

Ford, which is selling the two Midland carmakers, wants to tell its workers itself before the news becomes public. Although the deal has been sealed, the plants across the Midlands are currently entering their Christmas shutdown. Workers will return to the Castle Bromwich and Lode Lane plants on January 2, when they could be told the outcome.

A source said Ford has given Tata preferred bidder status over Mahindra and Mahindra and One Equity Partners, but because the American carmaker wants to speak to the workforce first, the deal won't be formally announced until the new year. The purchase is still going through and there have been no hitches, said the source. Executives at both Ford and Tata, who have arrived in the UK, are thought to be celebrating sealing the deal. A Ford spokesman said there would be no announcement today.

The impending Tata takeover has been welcomed by industry figures. Lord Kumar Bhattacharyya, head of Warwick Manufacturing Group, said: "Assuming all the reports are accurate and Tata has indeed clinched the deal, then it would be the best thing that has happened for the Midlands car industry in years.

Source: The Birmingham Post: icBirmingham - Ford to tell Jag and Land Rover workers first
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

my uncle works at the land rover plant.

Its probably good new that they finally know where they stand.

I don't understand why is this a good thing. No one has pointed out what advantages this will give landrover or Jaguar over they there time with Ford. Land Rover has done nothing but improve since changing hands from BMW and although Jaguar hasn't exactly been going that great in sales more recently designs have been coming though which have been widly praised ie 2008 XK and 2009 XF. Yes i think more could have been done with Jaguar and there were some mistakes, x-type underpinnings and arguable the S-type design. Overall though Jaguar have been making better products than they were in the 90's. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I just think people (and the media) are putting alot of faith in company that is pretty small fry when it comes to global markets, though I understand that Tata are big in India.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

This is a huge prestige thing for the Indian car maker, but I agree it's going to be interesting to see quite how long a company known more for Daewoo Tico knock offs can support an Ailing big cat and a Mountain goat.

Fingers crossed new blood and new money can inject some spark. Remember no one does English-ness like the Indians <j/k>
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    This is a huge prestige thing for the Indian car maker, but I agree it's going to be interesting to see quite how long a company known more for Daewoo Tico knock offs can support an Ailing big cat and a Mountain goat.
    ah, but they also produce exclusive vehicles like the Elegante, the Cliffrider and the Crossover...I can't wait to see Tata use the newly acquired distribution networks to get those niceties over to our markets...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

you can just imagine a leaping cat on the bonnet of a Tata Indica.

<shudders>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    you can just imagine a leaping cat on the bonnet of a Tata Indica.

<shudders>
    but just look at the interior...nicely Jaguar coloured (almost) leather, very clear dials, what else do you want,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Didn't a previous English company try working with Tata.

Oh yeah. you may have heard of them.......

A while back I said that if I had a Euro for every time I heard Jag/Land Rover had been or was just about to be sold, I could probably afford an XK. I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by syko View Post
    I don't understand why is this a good thing. No one has pointed out what advantages this will give landrover or Jaguar over they there time with Ford. Land Rover has done nothing but improve since changing hands from BMW and although Jaguar hasn't exactly been going that great in sales more recently designs have been coming though which have been widly praised ie 2008 XK and 2009 XF. Yes i think more could have been done with Jaguar and there were some mistakes, x-type underpinnings and arguable the S-type design. Overall though Jaguar have been making better products than they were in the 90's. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I just think people (and the media) are putting alot of faith in company that is pretty small fry when it comes to global markets, though I understand that Tata are big in India.
    It's a good thing for Ford. Jaguar has been the biggest money pit for them with no return at all.

On the other hand it doesn't necesarily have to be bad for Jaguar and Land Rover if Tata know what they're doing.

And on a side note this means that the next Alfa Romeo flagship could have Jaguar XF underpinnings, because of the collaboration between Tata and Fiat.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    but just look at the interior...nicely Jaguar coloured (almost) leather, very clear dials, what else do you want,,,
    more wood

tata makes all those cars in india like the Hindustan
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    more wood
    That's what she said.

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Bye, Jaguar, bye, Land Rover...

Am I the only person who does not know anything about Tata except they are an Indian company?
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Thread Information