Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a more practical car...

Thinking of buying a more practical car...

As some of you may or may not know, I currently drive a Clio 1.6 16V with all the necessary luxuries (aircon, elec. roof, elec. windows, sports seats etc.). But I'm craving for something more practical since the clio only has 2doors and the space in the rear is hopeless for adults. And I need more boot space for my photo gear.

Since money is a problem, I'm looking for something older. I was thinking about a BMW E36 touring. I really love the 3-series touring models. If I were to get any 3 series it would be either a coupé or a touring.
    The thing is, I need something reliable. Are E36's reliable (I'd probably buy on of the latest E36 tourings, not the pre-1994 models) ? Does anyone on here have any experience with E36s or any tips? Maybe some other cars to consider?

The ones to consider are 318i, 320i and the 325tds. The 316i and 318tds is way too slow compared to the Clio and the larger engines are way to expensive to run (unless I can find one that runs on LPG).

The E30 touring looks awesome but it's too old for me, no airbag, worse safety, no ABS or traction control, worse fuel consumption etc. A 325iX Touring with LPG would be awesome though.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 12-30-2007 at 07:29 AM.

I personally don't have experience with old Bimmers, but a straight six and rear wheel drive sure sound tempting.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Stuff the expense, get the car that matches your user name!
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Volvos for life!

gotta love a bimmer, but an old one?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

i had an e30 and i loved it.. although i didnt have it ong enough to truely appreciate it. with the e36, it is better to get the later versions. the early models had some quality issues iirc. nothing to write home about, but when you have the choice. stick with the straight 6 models, the 1.8 just didnt have enough power. the 2.5 isnt really much of a screamer, but it is still a great time. dont bother with the ix, adds too much weight, and its not really a well developed awd system until you get to the current models.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i had an e30 and i loved it.. although i didnt have it ong enough to truely appreciate it. with the e36, it is better to get the later versions. the early models had some quality issues iirc. nothing to write home about, but when you have the choice. stick with the straight 6 models, the 1.8 just didnt have enough power. the 2.5 isnt really much of a screamer, but it is still a great time. dont bother with the ix, adds too much weight, and its not really a well developed awd system until you get to the current models.
    What He said. Especially about getting a later model.

E36 Tourings are not as practical as they look, though. think of it more as a hatchback.

If possible, get the 2.8. from personal experience, it's visceral.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Not sure of your budget, but it might be worth considering E34/E39 Tourings. They look better (in my opinion) than the 3 series do, and have vastly more space whilst being just as fun to drive.

There's E34 M5 Tourings (<700 made IIRC) if you're out for some serious fun and have the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Maybe some other cars to consider?
    You surely know what I would advise you if you are looking for practicality, space, comfort and economy...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

e36 looks nice , but its small, the 318i is slow ( I drove one once) if you get a 6 banger , life in it will be better, The diesel is robust but its not that economic and its heavy on tax. I would look for a vw pashat or an audi a4 b5 avant, and if you feel a bit wealthier , an audi a8 they are quite cheap these days
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    You surely know what I would advise you if you are looking for practicality, space, comfort and economy...
    Don't advise the C5. Gor for a DS Break.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    What He said. Especially about getting a later model.

E36 Tourings are not as practical as they look, though. think of it more as a hatchback.

If possible, get the 2.8. from personal experience, it's visceral.
    I'd love a 2.8 but that's not an option because of the huge yearly tax (based on engine size) and petrol prices (and of course insurance).

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3
    Not sure of your budget, but it might be worth considering E34/E39 Tourings. They look better (in my opinion) than the 3 series do, and have vastly more space whilst being just as fun to drive.

There's E34 M5 Tourings (<700 made IIRC) if you're out for some serious fun and have the cash.
    I was thinking of getting a E34 touring as well. E39 are, unfortunatly, out of the budget. Unless I get a 250k km one. I really want a car that has less than 200k on the clock, preferably less than 150k.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46
    e36 looks nice , but its small, the 318i is slow ( I drove one once) if you get a 6 banger , life in it will be better, The diesel is robust but its not that economic and its heavy on tax. I would look for a vw pashat or an audi a4 b5 avant, and if you feel a bit wealthier , an audi a8 they are quite cheap these days
    Audi and VW's aren't really my thing. But a first gen A4 avant could be nice, especially a quattro.

If we can suggest other cars, what about a Lancia Kappa SW?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If we can suggest other cars, what about a Lancia Kappa SW?
    Please Ferrer ....... that look like a dung. Dont mean to offend but ... thats too personal to suggest on a public forum.

Not sure bout Belgium, but over here in Malaysia E36 had am abundance of parts and workshops knowing how to fix them, we shouldnt talk about reliability on European cars especially when the Japs and Koreans are still making cars.

I'd get an A4 avant. Yes, like you Lagonda, I love the first gen A4s. Driving a sedan now, but only because i didn't get to find an Avant in time. The 1.8T is almost as fun as the 2.5 E36, and if you mod cars, it could give the 2.8 E36 a good run for the money vs performance. Lastly, not sure bout belgium as well, but generally Audis had crappy 2nd hand value, so it would be a better bargain for a second hand buy.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Please Ferrer ....... that look like a dung. Dont mean to offend but ... thats too personal to suggest on a public forum.

Not sure bout Belgium, but over here in Malaysia E36 had am abundance of parts and workshops knowing how to fix them, we shouldnt talk about reliability on European cars especially when the Japs and Koreans are still making cars.

I'd get an A4 avant. Yes, like you Lagonda, I love the first gen A4s. Driving a sedan now, but only because i didn't get to find an Avant in time. The 1.8T is almost as fun as the 2.5 E36, and if you mod cars, it could give the 2.8 E36 a good run for the money vs performance. Lastly, not sure bout belgium as well, but generally Audis had crappy 2nd hand value, so it would be a better bargain for a second hand buy.
    And how is exactly your Volkswagen Passat with a fancy badge slapped on it a better choice?

Oh and I'm sorry but next to a Kappa SW Turbo your german car is just too slow.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information