Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Most Iconic Car of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    True, but another post before pointed out the Beetle's styling wasn't original either.

I don't know if any other Beetle-like cars were made before the Beetle though.
    Well I think it's different. The Mazda was just a copy of the classic british sportscar.

The Beetle was another take on a cheap car for the masses.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I don't know if any other Beetle-like cars were made before the Beetle though.
    The Beetle was a copy off of the Russian Tatra; Hitler still approved it because they were planning to take over said country.
    Last edited by kingofthering; 01-31-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: whoops! typo! :D
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    The Beetle was a copy off of the Russian Tata; Hitler still approved it because they were planning to take over said country.
    You've just made a Nano no-no

perhaps Iconic is the wrong term- especially as the answers posted reflect (Taurus? Camry?)
    The most recognized the most "car" known

Beetle wins hands down always.
    but an Icon of a car
    the list is a hard one to narrow- AC Bristol/ Shelby Cobra 289/427 still copied and produced everywhere... Lotus 7..

Porsche 917 maybe?Ford GT40?
    Mustang (layout appearance) but then any front engine rear drive coupe alots in here...anonymously (Falcon etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well I think it's different. The Mazda was just a copy of the classic british sportscar.

The Beetle was another take on a cheap car for the masses.
    What's the difference between "another take" and a "copy"?

Not very much.

But I do agree that the Beetle is way more iconic than the Mazda.

What's the difference between "another take" and a "copy"?

Not very much.

But I do agree that the Beetle is way more iconic than the Mazda.
    I think there's a difference.

You see with the Beetle they tried to bring motoring to people and the tried to be as good as they could. Therefore rear engined layout or the air cooled engine.

The Mazda on the other hand is just a copy of the classic british sportscar. There's nothing new in or innovative in it (except perhaps reliability... ).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think the most iconic car of all time is a tie between the old Mini and the Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32).
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

people seem to forget that other car that has been, and still is, in production for over 40 years, the Lada...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The Citroen DS! Timeless classic. So French, so sublime. so radical, so futuristic, so chic. In The Daily Telegraphs the all time 100 most beautiful cars poll recently, guess where the DS came?

Motoring - Telegraph

The Beetle of course, but also the Land Rover (now in Defender guise) and Toyota Land Cruiser because they are the only cars that can be found in every corner of the world.
    And like Henk said, both the Lade Riva and Niva are icons. At least in Europe.

The Maserati 250F... Juan Manuel Fangio going round the Nürburgring in it beating the lap time over and over!

If you are natural, you are cool and if you are cool you must be a CCK

Not that I think this is the most iconic car (though maybe close), but the mkI Golf is perhaps Southern Africa's most iconic car.

It's been in production non-stop since the early eighties and just refuses to die. The streets are littered with them, and sales are still going strong. And, yes, the second pic is of the interior of said car...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    Not that I think this is the most iconic car (though maybe close), but the mkI Golf is perhaps Southern Africa's most iconic car.

It's been in production non-stop since the early eighties and just refuses to die. The streets are littered with them, and sales are still going strong. And, yes, the second pic is of the interior of said car...
    are they still producing the MK1 version from the seventies?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    are they still producing the MK1 version from the seventies?
    They are indeed, unbelievably. You can pick the current top of the range 1.6i (74kW/ 140N.m) up for just under R100 000, which equates to roughly $13 200 US.

This excludes things like a radio/CD player, metallic paint, service plan etc.

There used to be a "CTi" and 1.8R (think this one had a 90-something kW motor) available, which the journos used to say came pretty close to the original GTi, but it seems its mostly the lower priced models that warrant it's continued production.
    Last edited by Kooper; 07-27-2008 at 09:43 AM.

aamzing, the last of the sub 1000 kg cars will be finally put to rest by the end of this year. This version with a TDi engine could solve all problems regaring CO2 emissions....

Thread Information