Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Most Iconic Car of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    aamzing, the last of the sub 1000 kg cars will be finally put to rest by the end of this year. This version with a TDi engine could solve all problems regaring CO2 emissions....
    It is amazing. It's a pity its such an old design because were it not for safety concerns, I'd love it. Even after all its years of production, it still is fun to drive (direct result of its low weight I'm sure), cheap to maintain and somehow manages to not look outdated.

...OK, maybe it looks a little outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    They are indeed, unbelievably. You can pick the current top of the range 1.6i (74kW/ 140N.m) up for just under R100 000, which equates to roughly $13 200 US.

This excludes things like a radio/CD player, metallic paint, service plan etc.

There used to be a "CTi" and 1.8R (think this one had a 90-something kW motor) available, which the journos used to say came pretty close to the original GTi, but it seems its mostly the lower priced models that warrant it's continued production.
    So VW had to do the New Beetle when they had this. Put the 115bhp 1.6-litre FSI under its bonnet, make it look like a vintage GTI, sell like hot cakes.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    So VW had to do the New Beetle when they had this. Put the 115bhp 1.6-litre FSI under its bonnet, make it look like a vintage GTI, sell like hot cakes.
    Only problem is I doubt VW would be able to pull it off anywhere except in countries like SA where there's not yet such a high demand on minimum safety features.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    Only problem is I doubt VW would be able to pull it off anywhere except in countries like SA where there's not yet such a high demand on minimum safety features.
    Yes probably it wouldn't even pass EU safety regulations. But it'd be like having a new "classic" car with a warranty. Very appealing.

I'd buy one.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yes probably it wouldn't even pass EU safety regulations. But it'd be like having a new "classic" car with a warranty. Very appealing.

I'd buy one.

There's about 2500 South Africans a month that agree with you

Thread Information