Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increased violence in Israel, and to likely increase

Increased violence in Israel, and to likely increase

Please, for the sake of the issue at hand, I very much prefer this to not become a political debate. As I understand that that is not very likely, keep it far above the average level of civility and respect.

Tonight, three Arab terrorists went into a Yeshiva (Jewish place of study) in Kiryat Moshe, with explosive belts and guns, and started shooting. As of now, two are dead, and the third is expected to be apprehended within the next half hour perhaps. The estimated death toll is eight as of now, with a few others wounded.

Earlier in the past two weeks, Israel made a military move into Gaza to take out various militants. Around 100 people are said to have been killed, of which Israel claims 90+% were militants. Other sources claim various percentages from 50% up to Israel's claimed 90%. Regardless, there WERE innocent lives lost in the move. The move was in response to the advancement in the range and choice of targets by Arab rockets, as they are now hitting the city of Ashkelon. This puts the number of civilians in range of these rockets up from 25,000, to somewhere around 250,000 who are threatened.

Both the Israeli government and Hamas proclaim that they will be pushing much harder in the future against their counter-part.

For nearly two years there was a relative calm in Israel, until these past two weeks. Now, it has been broken by both sides, and this beautiful country is being torn apart by baseless hatred again.

I feel no side is in the right, and that both sides are in the wrong. All of these events are tragic. That nearly three rockets a day have been falling on Sderot (an Israeli town), that innocent lives had to be lost in a move that was quite obviously a revenge attack, and that three men could walk into a house of worship and study, and shoot un-armed men.

I would just like to take a figurative moment of silence here, in mourning for all the lives lost, Palestinian or Israeli, Zionist militant or radical Muslim. Life is life, and while its loss is inevitable, this whole situation need not happen.

I am on a two month study-abroad program in Jerusalem, and today we went to see the places where Christianity was born.

Today we went to see the birth places of Christianity, the Church of Ascension (from afar), and went inside the place where the Last Supper was to have happened, the Church of Visitation/John The Baptist, and the Church of Mary Magdalene. At the place of the Last Supper, a Christian group of pilgrims went in after us and started singing prayers. It was beautiful, watching them. I have never had the opportunity to see anyone but Jews pray with passion before, and that too is beautiful, but this was new. Afterwards, we sat outside the supposed "Tomb of King David" (Jews do not believe that is his burial place, but many Christians and Muslims do), and got a small lecture. As my teacher was finishing his lecture on a personal view on the anti-Judaic feelings many early Christians had, an Orthodox Yeshivanick was listening (the site is owned by the Diaspora Yeshiva). He listened as my teacher said things along the lines of "It is sad that Jews and Christians have had such bad relations over the past two thousand years, because really, they are simply two ways of loving the same God".

The man who was listening was what I would call a Zionist militant (except for his age). He does NOT represent the typical Israeli at all, just as a very important note. Why is his mention important? He said what my teacher was saying was horrible and disgusting. He said "how could you (my teacher) say such nasty things about Jews? The Europeans killed all of their Jews, how could you love them!" My teacher responded that he was in fact a Jew, and the man responded, "I sincerely doubt this...."

It is absolutely disgusting....that murder happens, almost easily, here, and that there is so much hate. Not even for the "other guys out here", but for each other, too. And that the extremists get their voice heard by the news, and that somehow, the government is at least doing what they ask even somewhat.....

Discuss if you want, share similar stories or thoughts. Just please, for the sake of the eight dead tonight, and the hundred dead from before....keep this discussion at the utmost level of respect
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

My sincere condonlences to the families that have been affected by this. I was in many of these places just a year and a half ago and went to I'm sure many of the same places that CdocZ has visited recently. I know the beauty of the country and feel a strong tie to it as a practicing Jew. I only hope and pray for these things to stop needlessly happening over again.
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    nearly three rockets a day have been falling on Sderot (an Israeli town)
    Wrong, its more like thirty a day

and regarding the Yishiva guy you mentioned, it was said by some arab leader (cant remember who) that they shouldnt try and kill the jews all the time its useless, what they need to do is just give them some time and they will devour themselves (which is sad but true)

but, and it is a big one. there is no nation that does not devide itself into classes/sections/views and what not and then begines to hate one another. there for its inevitable and can only be expected...
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

The problem Hamas has is the US is backing Fatah in an attempt to have the DEMOCRATICALLY elected Hamas overthrown, Hamas sees Israel as a part of the scheme and the violence resumes...

What a shame, so much for the peace process,

My condolences to the eight Israeli families and to the hundreds of Palestinian families of those who were killed this month.

terrorist groups continue to make us muslims look bad. sigh
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    terrorist groups continue to make us muslims look bad. sigh
    Why do you feel more attention is not payed to moderate muslims? we see all the time extremists calling for violence, but the yearly fatwas denouncing terrorism? You might see them for a moment and then they're forgotten.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

exactly, ur right its one of those the bad counts a lot more then the good. it's a shame
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I shake my head in sadness.

As CdocZ's teacher said, they're all worshiping the same person. Just through different methods.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    Why do you feel more attention is not payed to moderate muslims? we see all the time extremists calling for violence, but the yearly fatwas denouncing terrorism? You might see them for a moment and then they're forgotten.
    I hate it when that happens. When people group all muslims into the same category as suicide bombers I always try to point out everything wrong with that way of thinking.

But when the people calling for peace are being ignored by the people with rockets, the voice of peace tends to be drowned out by the explosions and the cries of the wounded. When so many in the area view a ceasefire as a sign of weakness (and thus a sign that their efforts should be ramped up,) it's hard to do anything to stop the cycle. I honestly don't see this ending with mutual peace. I think it will continue until there is a bloodbath big enough to stop one side or the other. Then again I'm also skeptical of the collective intelligence of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    I shake my head in sadness.

As CdocZ's teacher said, they're all worshiping the same person. Just through different methods.

the real sadness is that they are worshiping the same myth.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the real sadness is that they are worshiping the same myth.
    I'll agree with that, but people may worship God if they choose.

Just out of a curious note, despite the relevancy of a specific number, Hamas claims to have fired ~7,000 rockets in 2007, which comes to around 20 a day....regardless what it actually is, it is too many.

I hate to say it, but I am starting to think that wwgkd might be right....the human race in this case is just too near-sighted, and this only looks to be getting worse and worse.

Israel has recently (not as of today, about 2 weeks before the attack last night I believe) said some things that basically amount to "the gloves are off", and that they will make military moves much more often and freely into Gaza. So either somehow Hamas is torn apart simply by having all of their members killed, Israel AND Hamas are forced by the international community to back off, or some third option that has not yet crossed my mind but definitely exists....it does look like the situation is going to simply get worse and worse.

On the note of Islam and it's press....it really is sad. Hamas calculates everything down like math, who they will piss off, when, etc. It's said by many Israeli's that even the comments the people make before they blow themselves up or start shooting are 100% scripted, for a more "accurate" effect. And because of them, racism in America for sure, and very likely the whole Western world, is sprouting up again worse than it has been for a long time. It is disgusting, and it exists on both sides.

Another story: I spent a week recently at a Kibbutz in the South (Ketura), about 45 minutes North of Eilat. There is a very respected agricultural school there, and they get a lot of foreign students; some are from Jordan. We got to meet two from Jordan, and someone asked if there was any pressure to not go to Israel from family or friends. One said there was virtually none at all. The other lost his job as a teacher, his father does not speak to him, was kicked out of the lawyers union, and whether it is officially or unofficially, because he has an Israeli stamp in his passport the only Arabic country that will let him enter their land is Jordan now, only because of his residency. It is really sad because I can already see such an issue developing in the West, even if only "unofficially".

EDIT: Respect for the political and social issues at hand includes a respect for the fact that many people do believe in God/a God-like entity. I am not saying to end any comments on the idea of religion being something real or not, but I am saying that any comments bordering on what could be considered "smart-ass alternatives" be kept out, or rephrased.
    Last edited by CdocZ; 03-07-2008 at 12:59 AM.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    I'll agree with that, but people may worship God if they choose.
    they may worship anything, as long as they keep it for themselves.

at the moment there is reletive quietness, even though there was a suicide bombing last night at a holy place in the holy city no move has been taken so far.

the only move for the moment is a closure on the borders.

which is another sad thing, we cannot close them because then people wont get necessities such as gas, food, water and medicine but then again as soon as they are open some militant group takes advantage of that and starts smugling firearms and what not and even if not then Hamas seizes the goods and sells them to the highest bidders.

its a lose lose situatuion both for Israel and for Gaza and the West Bank.
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Thread Information