Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stéphane Ortelli escapes bad crash in 1,000 km of Monza; Oreca presses on

Stéphane Ortelli escapes bad crash in 1,000 km of Monza; Oreca presses on

Stéphane Ortelli, in the # 5 Courage-Oreca LC70 Judd, had a bad crash in the 1,000 km of Monza on April 27th but came away with bruises and a minor fracture of his lower leg.

(Le Mans Series race)

YouTube - STEPHANE ORTELLI Faced Fear

Unique view:

YouTube - 1000km Monza 2008- Ortelli Crash

Reports from Monza, Italy:

Le Mans Series

1,000 km of Monza

Update on Ortelli:

Stéphane Ortelli - Les archives - Les 1000 km de Monza le Mans Series bilan santé à Monaco

Oreca helped with the winning Mazda from the 1991 24 Hours of Le Mans and also developed the dominating Viper GTS-R. Oreca purchased Courage Competition (supplied LC75s for the four Acura LMP2 teams in ALMS) last September.

COURAGE COMPETITION - site officiel - the official website

Le Mans Series

Courage-Oreca LC70 with Judd V-10

Oreca's Chairman Hughes de Chaunac on the left with Ortelli at Monza

# 5 car

ImageShack - Hosting :: guest600yv1qi2.jpg

Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Yeah I saw this a day or two after it happened. That is one nasty looking accident I am glad to hear he was all right, that was quite bad. You know its bad when even SportsCenter shows a clip from a racing league other than IRL or NASCAR.

he seems to be doing fine, it could have been much worse.
    Here is another pic, (together with Soheil) showing him close to heat of the action as usual
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

That was a true demonstration of how well built these cars are. That could have been even worse had it been a few inches closer to that Audi. Glad to hear he's OK though. Whats the chances of him racing at Le Mans now? Reckon he'll drive regardless of his fitness?
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

I've heard he will miss Spa only and will take a Le Mans start.

Good man.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Very fortunate

What was the cause? It was a very oddly sharp turn before the car took off, with no visual cues I can see.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    What was the cause? It was a very oddly sharp turn before the car took off, with no visual cues I can see.
    IIRC some part of the car broke and then he had the massive crash.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

From what I've heard it was his own breaking mistake - he turned the wheel too early and sharply, so he lost control.

If I was driving that Audi that he narrowly missed, I would have stopped and seen if he needed help.
    An accident like that isn't something that you just drive past.

Not clever to stop on a race track where others are liekly to then hit you
    Secondly, getting out of a car unaided can take a whlie.
    Finally, a driver isn't trained or prepared for an incident liek a marshal.
    Unless there are huge flames, the best thing to do in a major accident is leave a driver in a car until a paramedic/doctor can evaluate and remove them
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Team Oreca Matmut boss has just said on TV that the reason of an accident was a broken rear wing, not Ortelli's mistake as I've heard before. He and a translator spoke at the same time, and the latter lost some points, but as far as I've heard, some GT car hit Ortelli's Courage 2 laps before an accident and damaged its wing.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Team Oreca Matmut boss has just said on TV that the reason of an accident was a broken rear wing, not Ortelli's mistake as I've heard before. He and a translator spoke at the same time, and the latter lost some points, but as far as I've heard, some GT car hit Ortelli's Courage 2 laps before an accident and damaged its wing.
    I thought people were saying that he had a massive brake lockup...strange for a wing failure to cause an incident like that.

Initial indications had suggested that a brake problem caused Ortelli's car to spin and then become airborne, but Panis said the team now believed a wing problem was the culprit.

"We found what happened," he said. "It was the flap of the wing, the glue, I don't know what for, it came away.

"This happened when Ortelli was 70 metres before the braking area, so when he hit the brakes we saw on the data that already the downforce had disappeared.

"This spun his car and he went on to the grass. There were some bumps and this made the car take off.
    autosport.com - Le Mans News: Ortelli expected to be fit for Le Mans

Thread Information