Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian military parade...rise of the new soviet union?

Russian military parade...rise of the new soviet union?

FOXNews.com - Russia Shows Off Military Toys in Victory Day Parade - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Pretty interesting that they started doing the military parade in red square. i went to russian about 7 years ago and we took a tour of red square and the kremlin and i remember our tour guide talking about how proud he was that the soviet union is over with and how them not having the military parade symbolizes that.

Personally, i dont think they are brining back the soviet union or anything silly like that, but i do think they are trying to make russia powerful again and im okay with that.

whats your take?

also, on a side note, does anyone know how a t-90 stacks up against an abrams?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

What do you mean by 'started doing the military parade'? They happen every May, 9 since 1945...
    And actually it's always funny for me to read such articles about 'next cold war', 'bringing back Soviet Union' and so on

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    What do you mean by 'started doing the military parade'? They happen every May, 9 since 1945...
    And actually it's always funny for me to read such articles about 'next cold war', 'bringing back Soviet Union' and so on
    I was under the impression that they havent had a parade like this in red square for several years.

as to the "rise of the soviet union" i put in the title, a lot of that was just to get people to open the thread haha. i even said in my post i dont think they are bringing back the soviet union, just a stronger russia.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Well it's some what disconcerning but I don't have a big problem with it. Just that Putin hates America and our friendly relations have gone sour and that if he does ever get real pissed then there could be a problem but for now its not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post

Deep americans are afraid of losing their nation's geopolitical power with the rise of new superpowers-to-be...

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    Deep americans are afraid of losing their nation's geopolitical power with the rise of new superpowers-to-be...
    No, I think we're more afraid of an ex-KGB dictator who uses atomic terrorism, controls the media, puts the heads of opposing parties in prison... Putin is the next real problem for the world, and I don't the the U.S. is really afraid of losing a position of supreme power it never really had. You America bashers should read books before you spout off.

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell View Post
    No, I think we're more afraid of an ex-KGB dictator who uses atomic terrorism, controls the media, puts the heads of opposing parties in prison... Putin is the next real problem for the world, and I don't the the U.S. is really afraid of losing a position of supreme power it never really had. You America bashers should read books before you spout off.
    I'm absolutely not an America basher - I'm actually rather atlantist, so you know. Poutine isn't exactly a real dictator, and you clearly overestimate Russia's actual power : its territory is definately underdevelopped, 30% of its economy is based on the only energy sector, inequalities are growing, the finance industry is weakened by corruption and opaqueness, and the list goes on. Apparently the Russian Federation has got some problems with its minorities too, and racism seems to reach a growing part of the population.
    By the way, I'm pretty sure that Russia will be a guenuine democracy again in the medium term.
    Last edited by Piacki_117; 05-09-2008 at 11:21 AM.

We have lots of problems, who hasn't? But as I wrote before, I don't think Putin is a dictator (no, I'm sure he's not), you can believe me - I live here . BTW, enough judging him - we have another president already

I didn't mean to offend you as a Russian man, by the way...
    Last edited by Piacki_117; 05-09-2008 at 12:02 PM.

I didn't mean to offense you as a Russian man, by the way...
    I understand, I'm not offended It was not addressed to you personally. Just everyone's so anti-Russian now, not even knowing the situation in the coutry...

its foxnews....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I'm absolutely not an America basher - I'm actually rather atlantist, so you know. Poutine isn't exactly a real dictator, and you clearly overestimate Russia's actual power : its territory is definately underdevelopped, 30% of its economy is based on the only energy sector, inequalities are growing, the finance industry is weakened by corruption and opaqueness, and the list goes on. Apparently the Russian Federation has got some problems with its minorities too, and racism seems to reach a growing part of the population.
    By the way, I'm pretty sure that Russia will be a guenuine democracy again in the medium term.
    Thinking about Quebecan food huh?

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    its foxnews....
    any reason to supply the Pentagon with more money is good....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Thinking about Quebecan food huh?

Today I learnt that "Poutine" is also the name of a Quebecois dish...
    Last edited by Piacki_117; 05-09-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Today I learnt that "Poutine" is also the name of a Quebecan dish...
    Someone have already discussed it somewhere. I even remember the picture, but don't remember what it is

Thread Information