Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 92nd Running of the Indianapolis 500

The land of the free and home of the whopper!

92nd Running of the Indianapolis 500

That time of the year has come, where all the IndyCar teams and driver scome to Indy, preparing for their biggest race of the year, and this is the first time since 1995 that the Indy 500 will be run with just 1 American open-wheel series.

Discuss, predict and add your insight/opinion.
    roflcopter

How does qualifying work? I saw that Dixon won, but only 11 odd people took part, and there's gonna be a lot more. What is the dealie yo?

Qualifying has been revised, but it was revised prior to the merger. Robin Miller thinks they should get rid of it and they might.

1995, wow. It has been a long time, but they have a chance to rebuild the sport and make new rules for new chassis/engine/tire/brake/gearbox/aero.
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Let's see if the Yanks can finally beat us dutchies ! About time !

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Let's see if the Yanks can finally beat us dutchies ! About time !
    What are you talking about? It's been quite a while since Arie Luyendijk had a taste of the milk.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I'll be there in turn 4. I'm taking a brazilian ftw, Kanaan is due and always runs strong at Indy, plus no one's talking about him this year. I think I'd like to see Helio win his third though, just to hear dancing with the stars hype instead of danica crap. Plus if Helio wins, that would mean Penske won the Daytona 500, The 12 hours of Sebring and Indy in the same year, I doubt that's been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    How does qualifying work? I saw that Dixon won, but only 11 odd people took part, and there's gonna be a lot more. What is the dealie yo?
    The simplest way I can put it is that all cars can qualify on pole day, and only the fastest 11 cars will be locked in. Every team has 3 attempts, and must withdraw their previous attempt before going out again, and if those runs are slower, they can't go back to their original time. Once the top-11 are locked in, spots 11-22 are filled on the day after (not this time though, it was rained out), then the remaining spots are filled on bump day.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve87 View Post
    I'll be there in turn 4. I'm taking a brazilian ftw, Kanaan is due and always runs strong at Indy, plus no one's talking about him this year. I think I'd like to see Helio win his third though, just to hear dancing with the stars hype instead of danica crap. Plus if Helio wins, that would mean Penske won the Daytona 500, The 12 hours of Sebring and Indy in the same year, I doubt that's been done before.
    You can't forget about Ryan Briscoe, he had a terrible start to the season with 2 DNF's, but he's been starting to show his potential and I think he'll be the dark horse of the race.
    roflcopter

Fair enough about Briscoe, he is qualed ahead of Helio, but he has always had a tendency to DNF which would deter me from taking him too far. My dark horse pick is Tomas Scheckter, even though he has the same crash problem as Briscoe, lol

roflcopter

Quote Originally Posted by TS020 View Post
    The simplest way I can put it is that all cars can qualify on pole day, and only the fastest 11 cars will be locked in. Every team has 3 attempts, and must withdraw their previous attempt before going out again, and if those runs are slower, they can't go back to their original time. Once the top-11 are locked in, spots 11-22 are filled on the day after (not this time though, it was rained out), then the remaining spots are filled on bump day.
    That seems to me like an overcomplicated system. What happened if on another day someone sets a faster time than the top 11? Shouldn't they get pole?

Why not just have all the qualifiers qualify on the same day?

I think the idea is to dedicate the whole month to practise/qualifying before the race.

As for somebody qualifying faster than pole when theyve already been locked out, they probably should have made an attempt on the first day when pole was up for grabs. If they did, they probably werent fast enough. If Indy is like almost any other race track, especially those rarely used, it gets faster as theres more action and rubber being layed down.
    I am the Stig

One of the three chicks is gonna win it and then there will be hell to pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    That seems to me like an overcomplicated system. What happened if on another day someone sets a faster time than the top 11? Shouldn't they get pole?
    They still wouldn't be able to get pole. Like bump day, AJ Foyt IV had a speed that could've easily put him mid-field, but because of the rules he has to start 31st.

Quote Originally Posted by ringle View Post
    One of the three chicks is gonna win it and then there will be hell to pay!
    Danica, Sarah, and who else?

(unless if you count Wheldon and his horrifyingly white teeth)
    roflcopter

Milka Duno is your 3rd chick

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but Danica won't win. It would be awesome to see her win, especially since she is considering a move to F1, which might give her more sway with negotiating with a better team, but I have my doubts...

If she can remain focused throughout the race, I can't see why she wouldn't win. She's got the team to win, she just has to be the driver and achieve it.

Thread Information